Evergreen Trees

Discussion in 'Trees' started by cherryredcutie, Sep 3, 2007.

1. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    Ah Pete ...
    Surely the State has been deciding what we can and can't do for many hundreds of years
    It is just that they seem to be cutting 'closer to the bone' these days [​IMG]

2. Tropical Oasis

Tropical Oasis Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have 24 leylandii as a 10ft hedge I planted 22 yrs ago because the main shoot is cut off they have never grown any taller, yes you get wispy shoots but they don't grow up to make the tree taller. You have to becarefull when trimming the hedge not to go into old wood, next door did with theirs and they ended up dead. I'm in the middle of doing my RHS at college and everything to do with everything in the garden we have to learn, including soil science and even bioligy! [​IMG]

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,133
    Yes I know they can stop you from growing hedges above a certain height, its just that I would have thought this could apply to say laurel or any other evergreen hedge that is allowed to grow above a reasonable height.
    Why all the leylandii, hatred, its a good tree, and as TO says if the gardener concerned keeps it under control its no worse than any other hedge.
    There is no such thing as a bad hedge, just bad hedge growers. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,126
      [​IMG] I don't hate them Pete. In the right place they are very nice trees, greedy, but nice. It's just that too many people have a knack of planting them as a hedge & then find they grow too quickly.... :rolleyes:

[​IMG] As regards the law you do have to have at least 2 evergreens in the hedge. So I would say Laurel falls straight into that bracket too...
      Here is a snippet of the laws....

• pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,133
      Thanks Marley, its all a bit vague, a was obviously thought up by a non gardener, as I said somewhere else, I would much rather live with a ten foot well cared for leylandii hedge than a sixty foot oak tree.
      Maybe leylandii have no place in an urban garden but neither do forest trees.
      No 8 seems to be the big cop out, and makes the rest of it all pointless.

• Marley Farley

Ratings:
      +14,126
      :rolleyes: The whole thing is a cop out because of #8...! It just makes a nonsense out of it..

There is a 20ft high x 30yds long Leylandii about 100yds from me & it is clipped seriously every year by professionals. It is a joy to see.. All the sides are faced up & topped & it looks lovely.. [​IMG]

[​IMG] If everybody who grew them, did that, I don't think there would be a problem..

Pity there isn't a plain law that made everyone who has a hedge cut it twice a year & fine you if you don't. So we cut them....! We would all either have fences & walls or very nice clipped hedges....... :rolleyes:
      :D Still that is cloud cuckoo land not the real world..... :rolleyes: :D

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +92,133
        But cloud cuckoo land is where most of the law makers seem to reside :D

• geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
        +2
        Difference is the big oak tree would have been there when you moved in so it would be your own fault for choosing to live there. Leylandii grow so fast they can be planted and then start towering over neighbouring properties. Why do they build houses near big trees? Just down to greedy builders trying to cram the houses in and having no consideration for the people who move in or who have to pay for work on the tree because the building work damaged the tree's roots.
        Why does somebody think we should cut our hedges twice a year? Unfortunately I have 300 foot of leylandii and it manages very well with a cut once a year in late summer . If I cut in twice I would have to cut in early summer and i never cut hedges at that time of year cause of nesting birds. I always have several nests in the hedges and I will not cut while they have egggs or chicks.

• Like Like x 1
        • Marley Farley

Ratings:
          +14,126
          :eek: I would just like to say Geoff, that they give their hedge a light trim & face it up before very early in the year before bird nesting time & then a proper cut in late summer.... They have just had it done now in fact & it looks lovely... I think they must feed it like heck as they really do put on allot of growth every year...!!! Much more than others in the area...!! ;) :D

:D Pete, I have to say, I agree with you, most govt bodies & law makers live in "Cloud Cuckoo Land".... :D :D

• whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +803
          hehehe
          If they lived in 'Cloud Cuckoo Land' they would only be annoying the cuckoos. Unfortunately they live amongst us [​IMG]
          I too have a leylandii hedge which is only cut once a year at this time. It does very well
          If you have such a hedge you must keep it to your chosen size from the very beginning. Allow it to outgrow and all you will get is the dead brown of the original post [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
          • pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +92,133
            One real point in favour of leylandii.

Its good for nesting birds.
            Also there is always a dry spot for animals to rest up in, during the day, summer or winter. :D

• Like Like x 1
            • daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +2,881
              I don`t see how a line of two evergreen or semi evergreen trees or shrubs constitute a hedge. David.

• geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
              +2
              I saw a leylandii hedge the other side of our town. It was in the narrow bit between the drives of neighbouring houses. It had reached about 8 feet in height and on one side they had decided to reduce its width cause it was encroaching on the drive. They were left with this 8 foot high wall of dead brown stuff. I wondered how long it would take them to realise that that was permanent.

• Marley Farley

Ratings:
              +14,126
              :rolleyes: Geoff, that is a perfect example of what I was saying, someone planting in the wrong place & presumably not clipping it regularly...... :rolleyes: [​IMG]

[​IMG] I agree with what you are saying too Pete, about the thickness of a well maintained hedge, being good cover for nesting birds etc as well...

[​IMG] Daitheplant the hedge has to contain at least 2 evergreens in it's length....

• Like Like x 1
              • pete

Retired
                Ratings:
                +92,133
                I think there a loads of trees planted in inappropriate places, and quite often by the so called professionals, local councils, (no offence strongy) [​IMG] :D . Around here they are removing plane trees that are only about twenty yrs old, because they have grown too big.
                No doubt they will be replaced by some wimpish little standard tree that will never attain a size large enough to be vandal proof.
                My only gripe is, why all the leylandii bashing, it does the same job as many other trees, but just a little bit faster.
                Surely that was what it was bred for.

• Like Like x 1