Exotic seeds

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Ivory, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    My Mango is germinating now, that was real fast!

2. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    I have planted some seeds from a passion fruit, this is not the yellow passion fruit we see often in this coutnry but the dark purple one that I know of from my days in Kenya.

It is a very sweet tasting passion fruit.
    I allowed a passion fruit to dry completely and then got the seed out, planted 12 seeds and all 12 grew. They look to be very helathy plants and now I'm going to have to find out a bit more about it so I can plant it out and hope that it survives the winter.

Does anyone else have any advice on this?

I will google for the passion fruit and see if I can find the right name for it.

3. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,474
    Init, if you are talking about the purple edible Passion fruit, Passiflora Edulis then it is not hardy like the yelow one. I have grown them under glass with a min of 10c and they fruit, any lower than 5c and particularly outside in winter would be certain death.

4. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Ivory why don't you make a light box then you can germinate and grow things tropical through the winer months I have one and so does PeterS I wouldn't be without it.

5. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    It is definitely on the list of "to do soon" things. It's just that we just recently moved into this much bigger house, the old flat was 45 sq meters, so another gardening implement was not an option, and tropical seeds wd happily germinate in the garden from may to october anyway, and here we have been distracted for months from the important things (like propagating exotic seeds) by little minor problems like renovating the house and make it inhabitable, installing a kitchen and starting a garden, lol.

Things has only slowed down recently. I definitely intend to have a propagator (bought or home made) before autumn. Did you make your own? Any tips? I am good at building things (made lots of my own furniture) but hopeless at electric devices. But the hubby could lend a hand there (if correctly bribed).

6. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    thank you Strongylodon...
    So, it is best I keep the passion fruit in large pots and keep it in the green house.
    Even if I don't get it to fruit, I expect it will make an attractive plant.

Also, if anyone wants passion fruit plants (Passsiflora Edulis) then I have 6 to spare, I certainly don't have a greenhouse big enough to house 12 passion fruit plants.

I live in Milton Keynes so anyone nearby that would like one of these plants is more then welcome to contact me.

7. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    There, now I am hooked, I looked up for propagators and I found a really nice one, small enough to fit in the house without moving myself out but large enough for my rather limited needs....

Time to introduce the subject to His Majesty... ;)

8. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,474
    Init, they are fine in pots and should fruit but they are rampant and need growing up/under/around /along canes and wires or keep them in check by pinching the odd growing tips out. I have gown them around large wire hoops inserted in the pots similar to the way indoor Jasmines are sold.:). When established a tomato (potash) feed will induce flowering.