'Farne' tastic place

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by strongylodon, Jul 29, 2007.

1. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    been to farne islands today, The puffins have left the islands, got lots of other pics of seals, shags cousins of the comarands and other birds and got the boats and some yaghts, had a great time, had fish & chips they were lovely.

2. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Absolutely fantastic strongy! What a marvellous outing and to have good weather for it too. The first pic of the puffins against that blue sky would make a super framed picture. I love the third one of a puffin holding the little fish. I love the Kittiwake, and the Artic Tern and .............I love them all!

Thanks for sharing and giving all of us the chance to see these birds and animals close up.

3. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Rosa, it was a shame the puffins had gone, did you see the terns?
    Kedi I am thinking of having a couple enlarged and that might be one of them, I still can't beleive how lucky we were to get the pics we did.

4. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Fantastic Photo's Strongy,I do love the bird ones especially the Puffins, Kittiwakes and Terns.We have never seen Sandwich Tern Juveniles and the sharpness of your photo's make me feel like I was actually there with you when you took them.Thankyou for sharing your day out with us :cool: [​IMG]

5. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Stunning pictures of what sounds like a fantastic day strongy!

My brother worked on the Farne Islands for a season , not long after leaving university. He had a great time, though I remember him disliking the cold showers!

We are going to Northumberland this October, not far from Seahouses! We visited the area a good five or six years ago now, and took a trip to the Farnes, which was a highlight, Hope to do the same again this year! Will post pics if they turn out half as good as yours!

Somebody mentioned a thread where people have recommended places to visit in the area - any chance of a link to it please?

6. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Jarbax, can't remember the link but stayed in Beadnel next to Seahouses. We went to Alnwick garden, mainly water sculptures and fountains. Alnwick castle, not as much going on there as we hoped, the small but very interesting Preston Tower, Lindesfarne, Farne Islands, Bamburgh Castle and Berwick on Tweed. [​IMG]

7. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    strongy, yes we saw sandwich turns lots of them on the beach near were the boats dock, missed the 1 last puffin that had left the island that morning.
    went in that church felt a bit old and spooky, wouldnt like to stay on that island at night think it would be a bit scary.

8. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    jarbax i put pics up with sunshineP of alnwick castle perhaps it was that, pretty sure we put it in garden visits.come back to me iff you cant find it and i will have a look for you as it was a while ago.

9. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks strongy and rosa - off to have a look!