Fatsia problem

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sinclair2, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Sinclair2

Sinclair2 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Another Photo of the Fatsia, new leaves, already becoming 'holey'.

[​IMG]

Giving up on the third pic, can't waste any more time with Photobucket.

2. Sinclair2

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Lady of Leisure and Pete. The holes start off quite small, or some just as black spots. Thorough searches find nothing, and I have ruled out snails, I know these pests and their habits so well (see above). Sorry to take up so much time and space, will drop this one shortly.
    Thanks for all your interest and help to the newbie.
    Acorn Atom eh walnut? Those were indeed the days. I will make a post in General Interest.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,084
    Its just come to mind that if you say the holes start off small and get bigger, is this happening as the leaf gets bigger.
    In other words are the young leaves getting attacked early, then as the leaf grows the damage appears to grow as well.
    A tiny pinprick of a hole in a small undeveloped leaf becomes bigger as the leaf enlarges.
    If so it could be earwigs.

4. Sinclair2

Ratings:
    +0
    Earwigs are not at all common here, don't know why. The holes are quite random in size. The black spots I spoke of are actually dead leaf tissue, and these seem to spread outwards - I have a feeling it could be some kind of mite, but the extent of the damage seems very drastic.
    I am off to Jersey tomorrow for two days (I live in Alderney), so will be 'off the air' until Friday. I then hope to get some Macro photos. I don't want to resort to Chemical sprays, we are a very 'organic' kind of Island, and our flora and fauna are quite superb, a wildlife paradise. Thanks Pete, et al.

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I would vote for caterpillars or vine weavil, if it's caterpillars they tend to migrate to the newer growth, look carefully put your gigs on some take on the same colour as the leaf and are hard to spot, if it's vine weavil go out at night with a torch and you will spot them having a feast.

6. Sinclair2

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I have at last found just two leaves with some sign of living things! These are highly magnified photos, the tiny 'bug' is no more than 2mm long, and the tiny collection of 'eggs' are about 0.5mm and shiny copper coloured. By the leaf vein are some other kind of 'eggs'. Ican find no other affected leaves.
    This is becoming something of an Icelandic Saga, and taking up disproportionate time, so I am now going to spray the whole thing with bio-degradable washing up liquid and call it a day. The plant is healthy, puts out masses of flowers and black berries (which flowers always teem with flies, even in winter) so hey, put up with 'holey leaves' eh?
    Do these threads 'time out' or do I have to do something to close it? Thanks for all the interest, next time it will be a simple question, with hopefully simple answers! Sinclair.