Fig tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by suzisu06, Nov 28, 2006.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    It looks really healthy to me suzisu, bet the watering is a job to keep up with in the summer.

Have you moved it recently, it might have rooted through the drainage holes.

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Congrats on your first photo, Suzisu!

Agree with Pete - it looks really healthy. Just wonder if it's TOO restricted, and has done as he suggests...

3. chobart

chobart Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Suzisu - a friend of my wife has a very large fig tree more than 15ft. and planted against a wall in her small garden in Windsor. It fruits very strongly year after year with no trouble - it is never fed nor watered. Have never tried to grow myself but having read all this pst I think that I shall give it a go in the new year

4. suzisu06

suzisu06 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Pete/Dendrobium - You were both dead right ... we moved the pot over Christmas and the roots have gone right into the ground.
    They are now broken!! But hopefully this won't do any harm as I have read that they should be repotted every couple of years - just replacing the compost and trimming the roots.
    At some stage before spring it's going into a larger pot ... 20" (John Innes No 3 ready and waiting) and that'll be its last move. Perhaps it would be a good idea to stand it on a concrete slab in an attempt to stop the roots going mad again?!
    At present each branch has been lovingly wrapped in fleece (and the pot topped with straw) which will hopefully stop the frost from getting to the 'flowers' which may mean I'll get a better first crop this year.

Chobart - Go for it - if nothing else it's good fun. AND the figs do taste GORGEOUS! The only thing to remember is if you grow from a cutting they are very difficult to 'take'. This was my fourth or fifth attempt. 'though I didn't do anything special with it - just stuck it in some compost and basically forgot about it!!

HAPPY AND SUCCESSFUL GARDENING NEW YEAR WISHES
    to all GC members.

5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Use pot feet, Suzisu! That'll keep it clear of the ground, and it's less likely to happen (not impossible, though.... :rolleyes: )

Good luck!

6. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    DenSudy, how many types of figs is there? lokking at Suzi fig tree it looks like a bush variety.Please let me know.

7. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    sorry about the spelling Dendy I can assure you I wasnt' drunk (dont drink)just tea total. [​IMG] [​IMG] :D

8. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Don't know, Fancy - I haven't much experience of them - let's see who else pops in and can answer!

9. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I dont know if its my glasses but Suzi fig tree is very impressive.

10. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Suzisu's fig looks healthy but thirsty and it does need a bigger pot - something like a tub maybe.

I agree that gardening authors like others - often repeat what others have written. However, if you are going to ignore their advice about restricting the roots of fig trees, then you need to know something about how big they grow.. This one is in Clerkenwell, North London. There are even bigger ones by the Houses of Parliament.

[​IMG]

11. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hornbeam, I wonder how old that fig tree is, mine is only 2' high but if its going to be as tall as the fir tree in the pic I think I had better move it into a large pot.

12. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Magnifificent Hornbeam, Thats what I like to see, maybe we could do with a dwarfing root stock for figs.

13. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    are you going to start one Pete. Put my name down for one please.