Fighting camera software

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by rosa, Jun 17, 2007.

1. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    pete i get so confused by the terms card reader and xd memory card is this what you mean as iff it is i have one for my fuji but not my sony camera or have i just took the little card out of my sony and it says its a memory stick pro duo, could you please clear this up for me, cheers

2. Dorsetmike

Dorsetmike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It will keep coming up with the new hardware found each time you plug in the Fuji cos the PC "reads" there is a Fuji connected but can not find the Fuji software. A big pain in the butt but not easily overcome except with a card reader.

3. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    dorsetmike is this the card thats in my cameras or are we talking something different would you please explain

4. Dorsetmike

Dorsetmike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The card in the Fuji is an XD card, Sony, being a law unto themselves, use a different type of card called a memory stick, (like they did with their Betamax video tapes when everybody else used VHS)
    There should be slots for both in a card reader.

5. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    sorry for being such a thicky mike can i put both of these cards in the slots on my pc and will pics upload or do i need to buy something else

6. Dorsetmike

Dorsetmike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, provided there is a slot which they fit into yes, most card readers can cope with 7 or more different types of card.(probably not all at the same time though)
    You should not need to buy anything else. The PC will treat the card(s) as though they are temporary or removable drives, so you just copy the pic files to where ever you want in your PC.

7. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    mike i have 4 different size slots in my pc so i will try this next time i take some photos, thanks ever so much for yours and everyones help its very much appreciated, will let you all know how i get on

8. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    rosa - if your pc hasn't got a built in card reader, you can buy them pretty cheap

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=99237&PHPSESSID=6658976dec7c002bd438ead5d1cb817a

i like others here, don't use any of the supplied software that came with my cameras, i just take the card out of the camera, put it into the card reader which is plugged into the pc via the usb slots and open the images on the microsoft supplied photo viewer. If i need to do any editing i them open the photo using the editing software. to transfer photo's from the card to your pc for storage etc, i just click on the photo i want and the move it to a file, or if there are lots to transfer I highlight all the pictures and then move them altogether.

hope this is of help ;)

9. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    glenw how can i find out iff my pc has a built in card reader, :confused: :eek: :confused: :confused:

10. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    [​IMG]

what are these 3 slots for on the big box of my pc

11. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    just found out that above is not for uploading my pics.

just been to morrisons and bought a Trust 16-in-1 usb2 card reader was talking to a guy in morrisons that is pretty good with pcs and cameras and i can use this for both my sony and fuji and i have to uninstall the sony software then upload the disc that came with this, so lets hope this solves all my problems will let you all know how i get on later

12. Dorsetmike

Dorsetmike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rosa, that looks like a card reader to me ;) the slot at top left and the one at bottom right look like they wil take 2 different types of card.
    If you have the instruction manual for the PC it should tell you which slot for which card.
    Looks like 4 slots there to me, are there any letters in the symbols above and below the slots, difficult to see in the pic, things like SD, CF, MS, MMC? The width of the card should give you some idea if it will fit or not.
    Don't apply too much force, just use the same as when you plug the card into the camera.

13. Dorsetmike

Dorsetmike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds good Rosa, we crossed in the post there!!

14. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hi mike i put the sony card in one of them slots and it dissapeared i pannicked and tilted the machine forward and it fell out, just going to uninstall sony software and install this new software for the card reader then lets hope i can then upload pics for both the sony and fuji cameras without any problems, will let you know.

15. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    ps its difficult to read what it says near them slots, i would need a magnifying glass to read them symbols ha! ha!