Filling the Water Butt with a hosepipe?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by SallyJ, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Shiney, some parts of Essex and Herts are supplied by Thames Water - and they have a ban in place, and may apply for a drought order. Depends where your water company gets its water, a lot in the south east get them from abstraction and under strict controls, rivers and they are running into problems.

Anglia water's water comes from Rutland and Graffam water reservoires - no hose pipe ban, but if we get another dry winter, next year will happen,.

2. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    That's right. The areas are not determined by county boundaries but by water authorities. Essex has two major reservoirs to draw from - Abberton and Hanningfield.

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,457
    Thanks folks. As I don't have a choice which water authority I come under I shall just have to put up with the ban and cope as best as possibly.
    --------------
    shiney

4. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Weird isn't it ! I mean - we are all bombarded with adverts and told to shop around for gas and electric supply companies, yet not for water supply. If we can have multiple choice gas suppliers (all through one pipe connection) why cannot we have multiple choice water suppliers :confused:

5. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Agree with you there Hornbeam!

Although, on second thoughts they would have to appoint the equivalent of Transco (now National Grid) and god help us if there was another organisation like that! ;)

6. Tim D

Tim D Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    The reason we can't shop around for water is whilst it has been a suggestion for years there is no water "national grid" style syetem as it would be too expensive.

It does not matter that the system would alleviate the water shortages. Once again the companys are not bothered with any thing other than profit.

What do you think the reaction woul;d be if all of a sudden the gas/electricity comapnies announce they would have to restrict supply because of a shortage they themselves are largely to blame for(however on that basis everyone would get a reduction in their bills!) :mad: