Fireworks.

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by Rustler, Oct 30, 2015.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    [​IMG]

Copper produces blue sparks. Barium, also used in rat poison and glassmaking, makes green. A mix of strontium salts, lithium salts and other stuff makes red. Aluminum and titanium put the white stars in an aerial flag.

s of commercial fireworks contain a powdery concoction ofchemicals[​IMG] that produce the bangs and the whistles, as well as the pretty effects. Tubes, hollow spheres, and paper wrappings work as barriers to compartmentalize the effects. More complicated shells are divided into even more sections to control the timing of secondary explosions.

Big booms and whistles come from flash powder. Once used for flashes in photography, it is a combination of fuel-like metal[​IMG] and a chemical that feeds oxygen to fire up the fuel.

Different combinations of metals[​IMG] and oxides produce a whole array of sounds.

While ancient Greeks and Romans used bismuth in their beauty careproducts[​IMG] and coins, chemists add bismuth trioxide to the flash powder to get that crackling sound, dubbed "dragon eggs." Ear-splitting whistles take four ingredients, including a food preservative and Vaseline.

The variety of color in a fireworks show depends on the mix of metals.

• Copper produces blue sparks.
    • A mix of strontium salts, lithium salts and other stuff makes red.
    • Aluminum and titanium put the white stars in an aerial flag.
    • Barium, also used in rat poison and glass[​IMG] making, makes green.
    • Calcium burns orange and sodium, yellow.
    In recent years, chemists have worked to develop more environmentally friendly fireworks, in part because one ingredient, perchlorate, was found in higher than normal concentrations in a lake where fireworks were shot off, and the chemical is known to cause thyroid problems in humans.

Meanwhile, to light up a red, white, and blue flag, chemists can lay out the emblem's design on wax paper. The pattern you see up in the air, whether it's[​IMG] a smiley face or a bow tie, mirrors the arrangement of the metals in the shell

Well, you did ask, Pete:dunno::whistle::doh::heehee:

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      Remember that tedious sci fi series in the 1980s, 'V' it was called. Had the aliens that were secretly evil reptiles that planned to nick the sea.

They were defeated in the end when the heroic yanks used biological warfare on them, distributing the 'red dust' from hot air balloons.

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Rustler

Rustler Super Gardener

Retired (Early)
        Ratings:
        +1,217
        Same again tonight. It's really getting my goat now or it probably would if I had a goat. "Oi missus, can we have a goat"? "No! And you're not having chickens either".

• Like Like x 1
        • Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,631
          Tonight and last night we have had nothing. Altho it was tipping it down last night.

Im expecting a lot on diwali so hopefully wont have any tomorrow.

Its weird there has been none since we had a whole week of them everynight in october.

• Rustler

Rustler Super Gardener

Retired (Early)
          Ratings:
          +1,217
          And another night! Just got home from a family funeral, de-stressing with my log burner alight in garden, after not the best of days to get yet another round of these horrible things. It's coming from all corners so not just some individual, it's competition time again! Must take Diesel dog out and really not looking forward to it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
            "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
            Ratings:
            +4,445
            Thankfully I think it was quiet here, I didn`t hear any, but Maddie slightly stressed, any noise sets her off at the moment, gets worse as dusk approaches, she is so tuned in to that`s when the bangs and whizzes start.:th scifD36:

Was told yesterday Diwali is going to be a quieter affair this year, out of respect for somebody in the hierarchy who has died. :dunno:

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
            +100,838
            I would have thought that would be the last thing that the person who'd passed away would want.:dunno::snork:

• pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
            "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
            Ratings:
            +4,445
            2 quiet night now, :love30:Maddie still stressed at dusk, not as bad and she starting to do her normal things again, not squashing me sat on my lap, and even got on the bed as normal last night.

• Like Like x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1