FIREWORKS..

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by wildflower, Oct 4, 2006.

1. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    No it couldnt be banned as its part of our heritage ..but when you get mindless thugs tieing fireworks to animals etc then you have to think now is the time to be civil and make organised displays..maybe just the weekend before or after november 5th which ever is the nearest ..i used to love bonfire night when i was young now i have to stay in to keep the dog happy.. ;)

2. sheppy

sheppy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I think we should only have organised displays too. And do we have to endure them at every other social occasion too? Usually let off late at night, at some party by some drunken fool!! Don't get me wrong, love them in the right place at the right time, but otherwise, loud, irritating and dangerous. Bah humbug!!

3. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well the fireworks have really started here now and my daughter tells me the festival of light starts on wednesday so that means loud explosions every night..Last night their were some really loud bangs i think they get louder every year..

4. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    heard them and saw some spectacular fireworks let off last night very close to mine, was trying to take a pic but very difficult.

5. levoire

levoire Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, must admit ive always liked firework night
    but i do think some of the old rules that were n force when i was a child should be brought back.
    like no fireworks to be let off after 11pm, and the police did enforce this to. I can remember police going around to a house in our street and putting a stop a firework party because it was after 11pm. sure that wouldnt infringe on anybodys rights to celebrate any religous beliefs?

6. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    So what can we do to stop our cat 'Lucky' from having a fit when the noise does kick off?
    She is an old cat we got from the local Pet Rescue and find that she is petrified of Thunder.
    Last year she was a 'House 'cat but now roams free..Drugs!??

7. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
    Hi Nick you can get something from the vets to stop pets becoming stressed with fireworks etc.If it was only Nov.5th it would be easier coped with .

8. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Nick, keep her in in the evenings most likely to have displays. The 5th (whichever day that is) and the friday and saturday after it - and don't fuss her - just makes it worse. Or if you are finding she is distressed by fireworks now, keep her in the evenings from now til, its over. Lucky firework night is in November rather than July :D Easier to keep doors closed.

Both my late cats were OK with thunder and fireworks, til one day they were outside, when there was a direct overhead clap. After that one of them was terrified, and used to creep round belly to the floor, behind chairs, under beds - trying to hide from it. Needless to say they both stayed in.

[ 22. October 2006, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Fran ]

9. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Paladin try bachs flower remedies the full list is in the herb sction as they use them on animals also..

We had loads of fireworks last night so i guess this is it for the next fortnight at least.. :(

10. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It was even louder here last night allmost as bad as being in a war zone..The dog was scared to go to the loo..and his eyes were looking around everytime we had another explosion..And their is a lot worse to come.. :( All the local pubs will start to have their fireworks next week as well as the big displays and peoples private ones it just goes on and on grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

11. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    the bangers and fireworks were going off before must be trying them out.

12. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well last night was loud and i guess tonight will be the same,, :rolleyes: I got a taxi back from the supermarket yesterday and the taxi driver told me he spent �£75 on one firework :eek: :eek: :eek: he was trying to convince me that it would make the loudest BANG..I thought it was a dreadfull waste of money and i was sat their thinking how i could have spent �£75 on something usefull..When i was young no one loved fireworks more than me and i used to go out penny for the guy ..and earn money for extra fireworks and a 10 shilling box of fireworks was wonderfull..I used to save all my money and buy fireworks and my cousins will come round with theirs and we would roast potatoes and eat chestnuts and have a great time with our simple roman candles and jumping jacks and catherine whheels ..a packet of sparklers and a few small rockets..now you need a bank loan to buy enough fireworks for the evening..
    I did buy some chestnuts yesterday as i like seasonal food and look forward to eating them later..

13. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I have never bought fireworks for years as when my girls were small we used to go to the local and they did a display, all i have seen for years is from my window, keep saying i will go to the local cullercoats display but never got round to it.
    There was loads going off last night little rosa was terrified she sat as close as she could to me and kept looking out of the window to look at all the colours she was frightened of the loud bangs and ran and sat on o/hs knee as he was sitting further away, she normally sits on her pouffe to look out of the window and didnt all last night, more tonight to contend with.

14. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    We had a small bonfire party last night with a box of fireworks especially designed for young children that had no loud bangs. OK they weren't that impressive but we had fun watching them. We chose quiet ones because of the donkeys and sheep in the next fields. Others round us weren't quite so considerate but their fireworks only lasted 15 or so minutes which wasn't too bad. Unfortunately, our cat went and hid under Youngests bed even though we had left her some music on as we usually do. When she was a town cat the bangs didn't seem to bother her, now she's a country cat she is getting very jumpy at loud noises. I now feel quite guilty at leaving her in the house. I wonder if the chickens will lay today?

15. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Nope only 1 egg from 7 birds!