1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

First bed, new garden.

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Sheal, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,548
    I finished the bed today and planted the few plants I have at the moment. It's in need of another bag of compost which I'll pick up Thursday - weather permitting. Forecast at the moment is for a blizzard. :doh:

IMG_3508.JPG

IMG_3510.JPG

Looking rather bare I'll plant it fully come Spring with perennials. The twig on the left is marking a Geranium. To the back and right of that is a rose, a gift from a GC friend. :) To the right/front of that is my rare dwarf Iris and forward from that a sad looking Sedum that I rescued today from beneath a well established Bamboo. I've planted them deeper than usual to protect them from the icy conditions that are on the way. Come next year both the Iris and Sedum will gradually make their own way to the surface. The base of the Iris prefers to be slightly exposed.
    IMG_3512.JPG

IMG_3514.JPG

IMG_3518.JPG

I half expect to reposition these plants (with the exception of the rose) when I start to fill the bed.

Rose picture from the internet.
    [​IMG]

Geranium (clump forming)
    Geranium (1).JPG

Sweetly perfumed Dwarf Iris
    Iris 'Little Chestnut' (4).JPG

The Sedum I rescued still has a flower so I suspect it is the same colour as a plant in my previous garden. That eventually turns a deep burgundy, not showing in the picture below.
    Sedum (2).JPG

• Like Like x 8
    • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +9,233
      Wonderful work, @Sheal!

I like the reshape of the bed, too! It looks easier on the eye...

... and so, the new garden begins!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
        Ratings:
        +6,133
        @Sheal
        :dbgrtmb: looking good lovely plant selection - Roll on Spring :spinning:

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,548
          Thank you Sian and BeeHappy. :)

Yes, I've re-shaped the curve slightly which will make it easier to mow around Sian. The edges will be softened further with planting hopefully.

I'm now looking for suggestions for something possibly evergreen and flowering to plant beside the steps. Their height is about 3ft. I don't really want anything there that will attract the bees as the opening side of the patio door is directly above. Any ideas gratefully received please.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
          • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +6,133
            Hmmm@Sheal :scratch:Thinking cap on .....Bee back later:blue thumb:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +6,133
              :scratch: This is a thought-provoking one for me Sheal, as you know I only grow for all the pollinators ;) but understand your concerns about the patio doors and buzzy's - Did think of hellebore's as they flower very early in the year so maybe the door wouldn't be such a concern at that time :what:
              Just a thought thou have you considered any of the ornamental grasses, they are very lovely but not as far as im aware highly pollinator attractive? There are so many color combinations to choose from to :blue thumb:
              ornamental grass varieties - Recherche Google:

I think the ones below are very appealing and give year-round structure and are very tactile to the touch next to the patio steps too :)

t-FEST-T64130-A_h.jpg Festuca glauca "Blue Fescue"
              Grown for its stiff, architectural blue foliage, the Blue Fescue is a useful evergreen grass for year round interest. From early summer, the foliage is complemented by short, blue-green flower spikes. This hardy little perennial looks quite at home in patio pots, rockeries, gravel gardens and borders, mixing nicely with perennials, alpines or even small shrubs. Festuca glauca has a particularly neat, clump forming habit that remains nicely compact as it grows. This hardy evergreen grass is easy to grow and virtually maintenance free. Height and spread: 30cm (12")

t-CARE-T66100-A_h.jpg Carex 'Milk Chocolate'Sedge
              This clump-forming Sedge is grown for its slender chocolate brown foliage with a delicate pink tinge to the edge of each leaf. As autumn approaches, the dense foliage turns to attractive shades of orange and brown. Carex 'Milk Chocolate' is a superb evergreen perennial grass which is at its best when grown in generous swathes throughout borders or planted into winter containers. Perfect for adding texture and winter interest to the garden! Height: 60cm (24"). Spread: 40cm (16")

muhlenbergia_capillaris_Cotton cady grass.jpg Muhlenbergia_capillaris_Cotton candy grass
              Aureola (Hakonechloa macra). Ornamental Aureola Grass.jpeg Aureola (Hakonechloa macra). Ornamental Aureola Grass
              Pennisetum-setaceum-Fireworks foutain grass.jpg Pennisetum-setaceum-Fireworks fountain grass

• Like Like x 4
                Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
              • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +52,548
                Thanks @BeeHappy I hadn't thought about grasses. :) I like the Pennisetum - living where I do there is quite a lot of blue and green and the Pennisetum would offset that.

I am bee friendly in general but not in this particular situation. :)

• Like Like x 2
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  Hi @Sheal have you done any digging any where else or as your weather been to bad? :)

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +52,548
                  No @Gail_68, I've not been anywhere near the garden since the beginning of November. Snow and frost has been almost continuous since then. :doh:I've also been busy inside as I've had to completely furnish my home - a job still not finished as I've had to interrupt that to do some necessary diy. Start one job and it snowballs (excuse the pun) to another. :)

• Like Like x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                    +0
                    @Sheal I am sorry to hear how bad your weather gets in Scotland and you mentioned having to sort your home but that's usually the way one job crossing another [​IMG]

Hopefully when spring does come your able to have a break outside also [​IMG]...as i'm living like an hermit at the moment and it gets you down :mad:

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +52,548
                    The weather this year is a one off Gail. Last winter was very mild and it's apparently rare to see snow in this area now. Britain in general was promised a hard winter this year and of course being so far north I'm likely to see it more here. :)

I'm hoping to get outside later in the week, with the temperature rising the ground should dry out quite well.

I'll second that! We both need some gardening therapy. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                      +0
                      Oh I do hope it does rise i'll venture out doors as I go cold very quickly...if it comes to it, i'll have my other half light a fire :heehee:

Well I just hope it eases up for we both to get some light besides other members on here feeling the same [​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Mark56

Mark56 Super Gardener

Ratings:
                        +957
                        Apart from December, it's been so mild here in the South. Today it is 13c highs and 11c lows in January! Last year it was 4c and -4 on this exact day. Lots more wind and rain so no gardening for a while as the soil is too heavy to be compacted but getting frustrated as there are so many jobs to be done

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                        • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                          +0
                          @Mark56 I totally agree weather like this holds people back...mind you a lot of people do decorating etc before the weather really does pic up. :)

• Like Like x 1
                          • Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
                            Ratings:
                            +10,739
                            Same here Sheal. We've had all sorts of DIY jobs crop up around the new house and garden since we moved in.

Like you, I'm itching to get started on some proper gardening jobs. :wallbanging:

• Friendly Friendly x 1