First time tomato growing

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by PetalPushingNovice, Jun 16, 2024.

1. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,556
    Don't feel silly at all @PetalPushingNovice - we were all beginners at one time -and many of us are still making mistakes and learning new things! :biggrin:
    The odd feed does no harm at all, and as I said - it often depends on the growing medium, especially in pots. Composts are terribly variable nowadays, especailly the peat free ones, so you may find a different compost would be better than the one you have. It's not an exact science with these things though, which can make it a bit more hit and miss.

Although I don't feed until fruit is setting, and @JWK feeds when they start flowering, there's often an overlap of those things, and it isn't an absolute defining line when it comes to plants with food. We all have varying ways of doing things too, and sometimes they work perfectly, and sometimes they don't. Gardening eh? ;)

You'll get there. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • PetalPushingNovice

PetalPushingNovice Gardener

Ratings:
      +95
      Thanks @fairygirl

I read everyone has to say and make my own decision, have seen others debate "to feed or not to feed" so I had decided when the flowers came I would feed but very dilute Tomorite. Although have to say nothing has really happened since

Everyone has been so friendly and helpful here, I'm so glad I joined! I sat in the background reading posts for months before plucking up the courage to join in. I've only just got my head around how to use the forum, I probably should have posted my question in another thread already created But hey ho!

• Like Like x 2
      • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +4,556
        It's about first time tomato growing, so it should be clear to anyone replying what the situation is. ;)

The feeding routine gets easier as you go along, and you'll get a feel for what works for you and your situation. Your climate and where you're growing them [outside or inside] are also factors, because any potted plant outside in a hotter, drier area, will need more attention than one in a cooler, damper one.
        Keeping a good routine with feeding/watering is more important with potted toms just because they're reliant on you for everything. As time goes on, and you get more confident, you can also experiment with potted toms - giving some [same variety] more food than others and seeing what happens. I did that a long time ago when someone said they actually don't need loads of feeding, and they were right. The ones with fewer feeds were just as good, so a lot of teh food was just being wasted.
        When you have the fruits, you can just use the tomato food at the correct dilution though. :smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • PetalPushingNovice

Ratings:
          +95
          After my total worry with the Cherry Falls, I went out to see I actually have little green toms growing! I’m so proud!

Now that they have been fed with seaweed feed, how long should I wait for to feed again, would you recommend another seaweed feed or or back on Tomorite????

• Like Like x 1
          • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +49,051
            I would wait at least a week before feeding again, stick with the seaweed for the time being. The seaweed label should tell you the doseage and frequency.

• Like Like x 1
            • Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +1,036
              I've used seaweed extract on my tomatoes for many years.
              Seaweed extract is not a complete fertilizer for tomatoes but a supplement - and a very good one too.
              I use a tomato feed weekly on the plants in the greenhouse, and about every 2 weeks I give them a seaweed drench. This ensures that sufficient vital micronutrients that seaweed extract provides will be available in the soil for your plants.
              Never give both at the same time though.
              Use the seaweed in between the feeds with tomato feed.

For 50+ years I've use Tomorite, but this year I'm trying Chempak 4 as it's cheaper and something different to try.

• Informative Informative x 1
              • Nickoslesteros

Nickoslesteros Gardener

Ratings:
                +56
                If it wasn't for the mine of wisdom on this forum and the one I previously used before it closed (Gardeners World) I'd probably be sat in a heap on the lawn having a nervous breakdown! I am in the same boat as you!

• Agree Agree x 2
                • Like Like x 1
                • PetalPushingNovice

Ratings:
                  +95
                  Not been here on here for a while but had a little shift around in the garden and I think I’m going to have more tomatoes than I know what to do with! very proud that I’ve managed to not kill them off. Cherry falls has been eaten in salads the past few weeks and so much better than shop bought toms! IMG_0366.jpeg IMG_0369.jpeg IMG_0368.jpeg IMG_0367.jpeg

• Like Like x 9
                  • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
                    Ratings:
                    +4,556
                    Fanatstic @PetalPushingNovice :)
                    At this time of year, it's often the time to nip out the top of the plants to ensure they don't produce too many more flowers, which won't then have time to become fully ripened fruit before it's too cold, but again - that will depend on your location and climate as to how early the colder weather arrives.
                    It means the plants can put energy into maturing/ripening the fruits that are there, and are already appearing, but it's not an exact science. As long as they've started the ripening process, they'll continue to mature unless it suddenly becomes too cold. You can always bring trusses indoors to finish ripening though.
                    It's usually when you have about 6 trusses of fruits that the top gets nipped out, but it also depends on what type you have and how long they normally take to ripen.

I've just done mine, because even undercover, it's getting to the point where there won't be enough warmth to get fruit ripened from new flowers. I usually get it reasonably well timed, but still have to bring some trusses inside to finish in late September. The fact that many don't make it as far as the kitchen, because I just picjk and eat them, is also a factor...:heehee:

You've got a great crop there, and if you have too many, you can always cook and freeze them for sauces etc, and many people dry them too. Not something I've ever done, but I think there's info on that on the other tomato thread. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
                    • PetalPushingNovice

Ratings:
                      +95
                      Thanks @fairygirl, As long as it doesn't change how long the formed fruits take the ripen I will leave the flowers be and see what happens. I'm a massive cheese fan so have plans to make plenty of Green Tomato Chutney for Christmas.

I too don't know how many of these will make it to the kitchen.... I also did sugar snap peas which have ended up being a daily gardening snack, I shall have to plant more next year so my family can also get the chance to enjoy them :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
                      • Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +3,173
                        Your tomatoes look great, well done!

If you happen to have any roses, Tomorite is also a good feed for roses, gives them a boost in between the March and July feeds.

• Agree Agree x 1