Floppy windowsill coriander

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by MrsK, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,090
    It would probably be better if you were coming over anyway, so you could discount the travel costs!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +122,455
      He wasn't actually grinding the seeds, he was cracking the coating. It makes for quicker germination.

I haven't grown coriander for years but used to grow it in the veg patch. It was sown direct and did quite well but can suddenly bolt and go to seed. I seem to remember there were two different types of seed you could buy. One was better for growing the leaf and the other was better for harvesting the seed. Unfortunately, I can't remember which. :old: :doh:

We buy our leaf and seed directly from the restaurant trade wholesaler. It works out so cheap it's not worth bothering to grow our own.

• MrsK

MrsK Gardener

Ratings:
      +123
      What's your favourite variety for eating (rather than cooking)?

At the risk of sounding sentimental -- there is something about this landscape that develops one's capacity for comfortable equanimity. It took hold of me the first day I laid eyes on it, and the feeling has only increased. Don't know if folk who have always lived here can experience it quite like I do.

• Like Like x 1
      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I know I thoroughly love seeing other places, but I'm always glad to come back. We have an amazing diversity of landscapes. Its impossible to get bored of it.

Oh, my favourite apple for eating? I can't say I have a favourite really. Too much diversity of flavour and texture to choose. I don't like Golden Delicious though. They taste like cheap margarine to me.

• shiney

Ratings:
        +122,455
        I travel all over the world but would not swap this country for anywhere - although there are some lovely places out there. I'm always pleased to get home :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 2
        • MrsK

MrsK Gardener

Ratings:
          +123
          That part made sense to me, remembering how some people soak parsley seed before planting it: the casings take time to break down.

Now there's an idea. :ideaIPB:

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,090
          I never found speed of germination was an issue with it. It's quite a brittle, fragile seed coat in any case. It's the bolting that I have found problematic.
          I think I'll try it again on the allotment, direct sown. I'm going to use the stuff in the spicebox. The seed merchants won't be pleased, buy heyho, Mr Khan's variety is about a hundredth of the price so no wonder they tell us all that stuff about leaf/seed types.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • shiney

Ratings:
            +122,455
            Some varieties go to seed much quicker than others. If you're growing commercially that makes a big difference. If doing it domestically it only matters if you just have a small space. There used to be a noticeable difference when we grew them alongside each other.

• MrsK

MrsK Gardener

Ratings:
            +123
            My windowsill coriander now has stalks with three sets of leaves, and still quite long. Several people have mentioned bolting and going to seed: this involves flowers, yes? No sign of flowers here.

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +3,090
            When it starts to bolt the leaf shape changes. At first it has flat, fan-shaped leaves but these give way to fine dill-like leaves, then it flowers. I have a theory that the dill-like leaves don't taste nearly as good as the flat ones. Anyone else noticed this?

The commercial stuff is always picked before the dill-leaves appear. I always assumed they grow the crop on quickly for a few weeks after sowing, then harvest the whole plant and bunch them thus avoiding the problem of bolting as it's simply not in the ground for long enough. I assume they resow on a daily basis to provide a steady supply of pickable stuff for the markets.

Domestic growers don't usually think like this but maybe we should just sow ourselves a 3" row every couple of days?

• MrsK

MrsK Gardener

Ratings:
            +123
            @Madahhlia, those dill-like leaves have appeared! Just as I was about to report that the stems have begun to stand up straight. Looking forward to seeing the flowers now.

Potted on some more seedlings into a container for a sheltered spot outside: part shade. :SUNsmile:

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +3,090
            What do think of the flavour of the dill-like leaves?

• MrsK

MrsK Gardener

Ratings:
            +123
            Less piquant, more subtle than the regular leaves. I'd never have guessed they grew on the same plant. Maybe stems remain more vertical now because these airy little leaves are of lighter weight.

Never got this far with coriander on the windowsill before -- would've eaten it all before it had a chance to flower. Now leaning toward finding the right spot for it outdoors and saving my windowsills for basil. Kitchen has something of a jungle feel about it now with all those herbs...:psnp::biggrin: