For Hibiscus Lovers ....

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Victoria, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :yho: Oh good gracious Vicky it is a picture..!! Despite the heat you are managing to keep it looking so good, keep it up whatever it is you are doing cos it sure seems to like it.. :ntwrth: I am in awe...!

I want one now though, I have so far managed to stave off looking, but I just might have to... Will it do here in the greenhouse do you think if I can get one..?? :scratch:

:( I shan't even bother looking for the Jamaican garden as there is the Hibiscus problem over there now.. They get sick & die. It is thought to be something brought in by migratory birds from N America, but so far it hasn't been identified by the Agriculture Dept.. :dh:

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,183
    Hi, Marley ... the weight of the flowers and buds all around it are amazing ... they need to work on a sturdier stem now ....:hehe:

They are fully hardy, just like the H syriacus. I have the Pink Mauvelous but I think there's also just a Pink and a White available.

Here's a link but you must be able to get one cheaper elsewhere. I paid â?¬11.95 for iit as in the first link.

http://www.gardeningexpress.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=2970

Going to go out in the 35c heat now and see if it and the new Datura (in the Brug thread) need a drink ... and I'll have one with them .... :yho:

3. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thmb::thmb: They are such beauties Vicky... Do they get much breeze when not in bloom, as the breeze is supposed to strengthen the stems.. Just might help... :wink::wink:
    :D Well I think I might have to look around then...:wink::wink: I'll join you on the drink... :hehe: Rainwater for the Hibi's & a Vodka Sorrel & Ginger for me, what about you...!!!!!:lollol:

4. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Very nice my lady,looking forward to mine flowering. :thumb:
    Marley as my lady says they are fully hardy, they are Hibiscus lasiocarpa known as the swamp hibiscus from the US of A I purchased mine from T&M they were on offer 2 for the price of one, I have 2 that I grew from seed it will be interesting to see how they compare to the ones from T&M.

5. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thmb::thmb: Oh good grief nutty... I really had put off looking but now you have gone & done it & if there is an offer on too...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awwww think I have to go for it..!:dh::hehe:
    Thanks Walnut..! :thmb:

6. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :dh: OMG Noooooo....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are out of stock...!!!!! :(:(:mad: OK shall have a trawl on the internet now then..!!!! :wink:

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
  8. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,183
    Did you ever get a Newbiscus, Marley? Is yours flowering yet, walnut?

Mine has gone through it's first massive flush of flowering and is now covered with buds again ... just look at the size of them ...

[​IMG]

And here is one of my favourites, Columbine ...

[​IMG]

Going out later to get more marbled terracotta pots as we found a place selling them starting at 75 cents going up to the grand sum of â?¬2 for a 33cm one!!!! So MUST get more ... like I really NEED more pots .... :hehe: Will needless to say have to stop at the garden center as when we passed yesterday I saw lots and lots of colourful Hibiscus but didn't have time to stop at the time.

9. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :gnthb: Ooh what a beauty that is Vicky... :dh: Yes I did send for the seed & I got them, but then so many things happened here I can't remember where I have put them..!!!! :dh::hehe: Gotta Laugh about it now...! :D I'll find them they can't be far....! :D
    :thmb: I did however get this little beauty from Stingo though.. I let it flower & then removed the spike. Nice shaped little plant now.. The light was wierd up in the greenhouse when I took these, but you get the idea..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,183
    That is a very unusual one, Marley.

I only got three of the 75c pots as the large ones were unsurprisingly all gone.

I got two Hibiscus ... the following one which I haven't identified yet and an 'unknown' for fun ... both are heaving with buds .... but at 60cms tall and 40cms wide were too good to pass up for â?¬5 each.

[​IMG]

11. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :dh: Oh Gosh now you have me hankering for Jamaica Vicky...! Another beauty.. There are so many variations there..... I shall have to get my camera out more there I can see as I travel about.! Not long too long now..!!! :)

12. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi my lady my newbiscus has buds so shouldn't be long now,columbine is a beaut as is your unnamed specimens:thumb:
    Don't know that one Marley it's very nice.:thumb:

13. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    A couple I have flowering at the moment grown from seed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
      +15
      More,
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
      • Victoria

Lady of Leisure
        Ratings:
        +55,183
        This is my third year with Hibiscus Newbiscus 'Mauvolens' ... and we were more than thrilled to see our first open this morning .. and look at the buds backing it up and there must be at least 80 buds on the shrub. For the past three years these blooms have been 22cm across and I thought today ... hmmm .. look a bit bigger ... my hand is 20cm and these blooms this year are a staggering 30cm ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are reputedly hardy in the UK (they die back to the ground here) so I certainly recommend them and should I get seeds again this year I am happy to send them to anyone who wants to try them out.

Such a joy today .... :yho:

• Like Like x 1