For Hibiscus Lovers ....

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Victoria, Sep 29, 2008.

1. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    "Magnificent", needless to say...

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,095
    Nice large flowers Victoria:thumb:

3. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,183
    It's Hibiscus season again and the Newbiscus has opened her first bloom of the year ... which is swiftly getting battered by high gusty winds ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The double red is looking spectacular ...

[​IMG]

... and the peachy orange is lovely ...

[​IMG]

The Columbine, Double Peach Blow and white with red throat are in bud and soon to open.

• Like Like x 2
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,095
      You have quite a collection there Victoria.:dbgrtmb:

The seed you sent me of the Newbiscus have not germinated.
      I'm just wondering if they need stratification being the plants are fairly hardy.

• Victoria

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +55,183
      Thank you pete ... sorry, I thought I answered this (may have answered, previewed and not posted whichI have been known to do :DOH:) but I didn't think they needed to be stratified ... :scratch: If you'd like to try again, let me know.

Hibiscus are such one-day wonders, especially in the heat and the Newbiscus needs watering twice a day. Stangely the doubles last a couple of days.

Here's Big Pink not being blown around in the wind ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... and Columbine doing quite well ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS That's by no means rain but I had just watered!

Still haven't got a pic of the white with red throat yet ...

• Like Like x 3
      • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +4,015
        Fantastic Victoris - just fantastic. You don't seem many like that in gardens round here in Yorkshire. :love30:

I had a couple of more mundane ones last year for the first time, one from seed and one I bought. But thinking that they were hardy (my neighbour has had one outside for several winters) I left them outside and lost them both.

However by chance I bought another one today - cost me all of 85p! Small but in flower.

• Victoria

Lady of Leisure
        Ratings:
        +55,183
        Oh, Peter, I thought I sent you some 'Big Pink' seeds ... no? Shall I send you some this year as they are hardy? Please let me know. It is the only Hibiscus I get seed from probably because it's deciduous.

Peter, go onto UKEG thread of these .. Steven from Germany has a red one ... I have cheekily asked for seed ....

• Like Like x 1
        • Victoria

Lady of Leisure
          Ratings:
          +55,183
          At long last my double peach 'Peach Blow' has decided to start blooming but with much smaller blooms than normal ... but I'm not complaining as she is such a beauty ...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
          • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +4,015
            Vicky - you must think me very rude, not replying to your post of 26 July. But I have only just seen it. I do apologise.

You have never sent me any Hibiscus seed - but I would love some of your big pink please. Thats very kind of you. I grew some Hibiscus from seed last year, and knowing that my neighbour has one that had overwintered outside for several years, I foolisly left mine outside - big mistake.

I recently bought a couple of very small unnamed Hibiscus (presumably hybrids) in a garden centre. They are quite delightful. The plants are currently so small that they have only one flower at a time which is almost as big as the whole plant itself - though not that big in absolute terms.

[​IMG]
            This tempted me to read a book on Hibiscus by Jacqueline Walker. I forget things as fast as I read them - but I still feel better if I feel that at one point I knew more about the subject. :D One that took my fancy is H. schizopetalus - pictured above.

[​IMG]
            I read your thread on UKEG and really enjoyed it. I hadn't realised how many lovely Hibiscus you had. One that caught my eye was your Malvaviscus penduliflorus pictured above (I hope you don't mind me making a link to the UKEG picture) - its the nearly Hibiscus that never fully opens. I had read about it in the book and was delighted to see a real one.

• Victoria

Lady of Leisure
            Ratings:
            +55,183
            Hello Peter. I would never classify you as a rude person ... sometimes we just miss certain posts or see them and think we will answer later but forget:o ....

I have some Big Pink seeds for you. Without searching around, did you ever get seeds for the Datura metel 'Blackcurrant Swirl'? I shall get something off to you in the week.

I too would love to have H schizopetalus ... Cassie from UKEG said she grew these in the Middle East.

No, I don't mind at all you copying over my Malvaviscus penduliflorus. It is slightly straggly so I must give it a severe pruning. I have seen some lovely specimens here trained as small trees .. I live in hope ... :love30:

• Like Like x 1
            • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +4,015
              Many thanks Victoria - I would really love some big pink seeds. Yes I heve had some of your (or Anne's) Datura seeds - thank you. As I am growing several Datura at the moment, I think I should be OK for seed.

Curiously my Datura aren't looking that healthy - I don't know what I have been doing wrong. But, by contrast, my Brugmansias from seed this year are doing really well. I have got loads of flower buds forming, and already had three flowers.