For pete's sake - peat tax

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Apr 3, 2011.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    We seem to be on to using examples of fundamentalist gardeners at both ends of the spectrum.

As ARMANDII says, the vast majority of gardeners use peat in proportionately small quantities. It is in the mix of general purpose compost and this type of compost works much better than the poor substitutes. I have tried almost all of those substitutes and have had to revert to those that contain a proportion of peat. I use compost in sufficient quantities (about 4,000 litres each spring) to have been able to carry out comparative tests and not just having to rely on outside reports.

My compost is never used for plants specifically needing a lower PH but for just the normal flowers, shrubs and veggies. We use it for propagating seeds and then bringing them up through their various stages of growth.

Most gardeners use it for the same purpose and to imply that 'free reign' means that they are all going to use it in order to grow acid loving plants is giving the wrong impression. I'm sure you didn't mean to give that impression or to say that gardeners should be restricted and 'virtually' governed by garden police :huh: :D but it does seem to be leaning that way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
      Ratings:
      +13

• Like Like x 1
      • Yacobian

Yacobian Gardener

Ratings:
        +0
        Makka if chalking me up as an anti-chem crusty suits you then go for it, it just seems a little specious to me. Im studying various sciences at the moment and come from that background, so using this knowledge I'm able to pinpoint, objectively, the issues surrounding mass consumption of resources.

We need electricity, and transport and airtravel to make the world we live in turn. But its about how we obtain these things. That you have to use them, doesn't undermine the fact that you have issues with how they're orchestrated, im unsure why you think it would?

That they have engineered some habitat surrounding human constructions is a good thing, but the balance between what we've taken since we first started expanding as a species, and what we've replaced is obviously skewed. Raping various habitats for centuries, then making a small amount of habitat is analogous to going to someone's allotment , destroying their crops and shed, then offering them an asda toolbox and a potbound sunflower whilst holding a straight face. (well...there or thereabouts..) My point is that the exchange is insufficient.

You have to remember that most, if not all, of the habitats created by human engineering serve only as a REPLACEMENT of something that existed before, but has been destroyed by progression, expansion and ubran sprawl..etc. Its not "brand new land that was never there before! huzzah!" because something of a magnitude much greater most likely existed before somewhere else, and was subsequently destroyed by us.

ARMANDII - Thanks for your calm, measured response. Mostly im addressing the use of it as though its not a bad thing to use. Whenever i do use it i sort of end up thinking "danm.." :) cognitive dissonance is never nice, but theres a difference between using something thats bad, but telling yourself its ok - and reconciling with the fact that you are infact part of a global circumstance that is, on the whole, damaging.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,838
        Well, again, we're all thinking the same even if it is being said from different perspectives. You're right our replacements aren't a satisfactory replacement for what was there originally. Unfortunately, it looks like that while we in the UK are slowly realising what environmental damage we have done and getting into the "green thing" the "Developing Countries" are continuing where we left off.

It isn't just now that the damage is being done. In the last 100 years we've had 2 World Wars plus numerous other wars of varying sizes. In those wars we have squandered more natural resources, while trying to wipe ourselves out, that even today's events don't equal. And all that did was set the stage for the blind need by all nations for more resources to rebuild themselves into the Top Nation.

I could develop this point further but mankind, I believe, will continue to do what it's doing and we can't stop it. Just as on this Forum we will continue to post within Threads and disagree with each other on different issues. But what we do have to learn is to disagree with each other amicably. When people find someone is disagreeing with their [correct:D] opinion the natural human reaction is to [a] misinterpret/misread what the other person has said, or/and "attack the person verbally and not the point of view the person is expressing. You cannot expect to have other people respect your point of view if you are "shouting" or being derisive about the person with a different point of view.

Yacobian, while I understand your confidence in your studies to "be able to pinpoint, objectively, the issues surrounding the mass consumption of resources" may I respectfully observe that whilst studying is a powerful tool to gain knowledge there is one thing that studying won't give you - experience. Put the two together and then you're talking - and people will listen to you out of respect.

Makka, my friend, I still think you should read posts at least twice, as I try to do, because I think you'll have realised by now that Yacobian. while expounding over the loss of natural resources, is using peat in his compost. His point is, I believe, that he regrets strongly that he has to use it and is only keen to make us all aware of the need to use our natural resources in a sensible way.

• Like Like x 1
        • shiney

Ratings:
          +122,455
          Thanks ARMANDII, for such a well balanced summing up. :dbgrtmb: :love30:

I'm just off into the garden to use some more of my peat infested compost but I'll make sure I wear my hair shirt. :D

• Like Like x 1
          • Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
            Ratings:
            +13
            Hi Yacobian

As I have posted on here in the past but cannot come up with the post(s), I am a research assistant in a large chemical company one of whom do the actual physical experimental testing for the senior research scientists, Doctor this and Doctor that!

Most of the experimental time is worth nothing but every so often we hit the jackpot, and naturally the credit is all theirs, they deserve it, as they also are given the hobnail treatment when things don't go according to plan!

But and it is a BIG But, on occasions when things are not going to plan, they try to make the Experiment fit the results instead of the results fit the Experiment, and we know they are bluffing but they try to tell us differently!

That is when the hobnail boot comes in, by those over them, and then we are told behind backs with great glee about it, by their colleagues.

So you see that is why I take with a pinch of salt, what so called experts spout about.

When I was a small lad a man said to me, bluff others but never bluff yourself and I try not to!

Cheers!

• shiney

Ratings:
            +122,455
            I think that we should lobby for 'Peat Offsetting' to be inserted into the Kyoto Protocol. As an Annex 1 partner we have some liability to attempt to balance things. So the insertion by politicians and law makers should solve all problems :WINK1: :heehee:.

pete and Dai, I've saved you the necessity of making comments. :loll: :loll: :loll: :loll:

• Like Like x 2
            • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
              +48,979
              You're kind of on the right track there shiney, I'm using that Wickes compost which is high in peat but I do my best in other ares to 'offset', like collecting enough rainwater over winter to keep my veg patch watered during the summer growing season.

• shiney

Ratings:
              +122,455
              John, you are also carbon offsetting by using less compost because Wickes compost is more efficient and that lowers the lowers mileage. :WINK1:

Of course, that still shouldn't stop politicians and law makers from inserting something. :loll: :loll: :loll: :yess: :loll: