'Forty-year wait' for allotments

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by JWK, Aug 10, 2009.

1. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I think it is a case of how do you get the law enforced? the councils are breaking the law, I think "dragging their feet" is being somewhat too charitable to the lazy, incompetent so and sos. They know that few people will take them to court and that is what you would have to do.....and how much would it cost you to do so?
    I think a court might consider what was a 'reasonable' time scale for them to get their act together.

2. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    One can only hope a barrister or soilcitor takes it into his head to work on his her own behalf and lead the way.

I have been waiting for an allotment now for about 2 yrs-I am still only 17th on the list.

Seems logical to me that a waiting list is evidence enough of a need. But do they listen?? This is local government we're talking about here-do they 'eckers like!

There is plenty of land near me and no sign of a new allotment area-yet those new build houses (a lot of which standing empty thanks to the recession) have popped up everywhere. They have the space, just not the motive.

3. marrow

marrow Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Councils have very little interest in providing allotments despite the waiting lists, far more profitable to leave the land derelict for future sale for housing development !

Most allotments were originally setup in the 2nd world war due to food shortages !

4. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    "Location, Location, Location"

I know that in Egham west London, there's some allotments "going begging" in fact local residents are concerned who live adjacent to one site and who have one, that if they aren't mostly taken up, the council will sell the land for development. Perhaps many locals in the expensive houses can't be bothered with growing their own.

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "Perhaps many locals in the expensive houses can't be bothered with growing their own."

Perhaps they would be happy to pay someone to "tend" their allotment for them - in order to have their own, fresh, provenance-know, veg? :thumb:

6. mhollins83

mhollins83 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    To me, even being on a 40 year waiting list is lucky - when I contacted my local council to ask if I could go on the waiting list, this is what they said:

Thanks for your enquiry and your interest in allotments.
    At the moment we are oversubscribed by a considerable number and the waiting list is long.
    We are in discussions with the new Shropshire Council looking for potential new sites in different areas of the town.
    I have recorded your interest but at present I am sorry I cannot help you. This is not the response we like to give but as you can imagine it is very difficult to negotiate and secure large areas of land for allotment purposes with land values that are attached.
    Regards

7. jamesbell85

jamesbell85 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i live near derby and i can get an alotment and it annoys me that when i dive past them then some are left un attending and messy. Do people ever get there allotments taken off them if they do not look after them??

8. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    Our local allotments is on the side of a hill so access is dificult, however at the bottom it levels out and there are a few that are suitable for me and my wheelchair bound partner. One of the plots has never even been dug and a lady has had it for four years now I believe. I'm on the waiting list for a plot but chances are I will have to refuse whatever is offered due to acess problems for my partner, such a shame.

Steve...:)

9. The Dirty Hoer

The Dirty Hoer Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have a community newspaper or something similar?

Where i live there are no allotments, so not even a 40 year waiting list. But since raising the issue through the paper - http://www.thurmaston.com/thurmaston times.html - several people in the village now have 'allotments' on other people's unused land.

In fact, we have one each; 'his n hers' allotments! Meanwhile the local authority can procrastinate and play with their bureaucracy at their leisure and if, one day, they find some land and offer us sites..... well, we'll just have to wait and see, hey?

10. golfer

golfer Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    Its a shame some MP did not take this up with certain Local councils to provide land for people who wants to grow their own however i cant see this happening because they are to busy with their expenses and what they can gain from the tax payer???.

11. Julie Q

Julie Q Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm in Shropshire and just got my plot after 4 years wait. The people in charge of the allotments are actually cutting the plots in half (or in some cases 3rds), in order to let more people at least get a taste of whats involved.

The lady who showed us our new plot said that many people will stick it for 3 months then give up - so once the waiting list is culled they'll start increasing the size of some plots to long term users who actually stick at it

12. outside_centre

outside_centre Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    A mate of mine is on the local allotments comittee in Normanton/Altofts (Wakefield), sort of the spokesperson and treasurer for him and his fellow plot holders and he tells a similar tale of a sudden mad rush for plots and then 3 months later folk lose interest and move on realising the graft involved and the fact that results don't appear overnight. I take my hat off to anyone with the drive and determination to make their allotment work, I couldn't do it!

As for the muck under the nails thing, it doesn't do anything for me and neither does this splinter I've had lodged in my thumb for about a week from not wearing gloves!

13. Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    Did you know there are many designated allotment sites left abandoned throughout the country and even here in North London, your local authorities won't disclose this information but do your homework!

There is an abandoned allotment site within a mile of me, yes it's been left to dereliction and overgrown would be an understatement, but it exists!

A group of us have been lobbying our local council for re-instatement of this site, we met with initial apathy but we were/are persistent and (being under legal obligation?) the council seem to have backed down on their stance and have (verbally if not in writing) agreed to re-instate the site.

Maybe next year I'll have a nice new allotment just around the corner from me? :)

14. gerkin50

gerkin50 Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    just got half a plot in upminster after a year and nine months wait could have had one about 5 miles away immediatly decided to wait as mine is only 200 yards from my fromt door ,suits me!

15. Axie-Ali

Axie-Ali Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I feel quite lucky now! only had to wait 2 years for my 1/2 plot.
    there seems to be loads of allotments around here!