FROM THE OLD BOOK

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Feb 19, 2011.

1. water-melon-helen

water-melon-helen Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2

2. water-melon-helen

water-melon-helen Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    I lost my Father's gardening book, and am trying to track it down.

I can't remember the title or who wrote it, though.

The thing I remember is a poem inside the book ;

Serene he stands amongst the flowers
    And only marks life's happy hours
    For him dark days do not exsist
    The brazen faced old optimist!

I wondered if you know the book?

It is many years since I heard / read the poem, so it may not be exact.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give.
    Kind Regards,
    Helen.

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,174
    Sorry, but I don't know the book but the poem is engraved on a sundial at the NT property, Mount Stewart House, near Bangor - but written in the first person instead of the third person.

• Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,838
      Well, I've had a busy week out in the garden trying to keep things tidy and neat and deal with the insects that have been eating some of my plants. But now the evening is here it's time again to have a sit on the chair, loosen the belt, take off the boots, pour a mug of beer and turn on the Gas Light to have a read through the Old Books and see what they did a hundred years ago to deal with the insect pests of their day.

"Insect Pests - General Methods of Destruction.

Of Destruction - We give below some notes on the making of various sprays, washes etc, which are there recommended for destroying the various pests. No good purpose, for instance, could be served by repeating the formula of Paraffin Jelly every time it is mentioned, since it would be mere repetition. Many books, however, be written on General Methods of Destruction of Insect Pests, so it will be obvious that the few notes that follow might be amplified very much. However, we prefer to describe the ways of making a few of the most important and most frequently employed insecticides, rather than cover many pages in describing the preparation of every wash that is known. Those we describe will cover, it will be found, practically the whole ground, and this being the case, little attention need be paid to the preparation of special washes which are not described in these notes:
      In most cases the gardener can obtain the preparations described below ready made from any reliable Horticultural Sundriesman, and although in such cases as Lime Sulphur Wash and Arsenate of Lead it is far better to rely on preparations made by experts under chemical supervision, in others the washes may be prepared quite quickly by the Gardener himself. Care should, however, be taken to measureor weigh up the various chemicals and liquids referred to exactly, since a small error in such as Arsenate of Lead, or other serious poisonous chemicals, may lead to serious loss instead of benefit. The gardener will find our article on Weights and Measures useful here.

ARSENATE OF LEAD - This is used for killing biting or leaf eating insects, such as Caterpillars and Beetles. The formula is:

Arsenate of Soda - 2ozs
      Acetate of Lead - 7ozs
      Water - 10 gallons

Dissolve the two chemicals in water and apply as a fine spray, various commercial "pastes" are on the market and may be obtained ready for use on being mixed with water. This wash may be used with Bordeaux Mixture.

Caustic Soda Wash - This is used to cleaning Fruit trees, and destroying Scale Insects, also the wintering little Ermine Moth Larvae. It's formula is:

Caustic Soda - 2lbs
      Water - 10 gallons

Dissolve the Caustic Soda in a little cold water, and dilute with the remainder. Keep the liquid off the hands and clothes, as it is very corrosive. Apply with considerable force as a spray, not later than the end of February, and never use except on dormant Fruit trees.

Hellebore Spray - Hellebore is an intensely poisonous and strong smelling powder, which is useful as an insecticide for Sawfly larvae where Arsenate of Lead could not be used. It is not, however, nearly so efficacious. The formula of the spray is:

Hellebore Powder - 4ozs
      Watger - 10 gallons
      I
      Hellebore should always be dissolved in a little hot water first, and then the mixture diluted to required strength. The eyes, nose, and throat must be protected when using it. The powder itself may be used as a dust. As a modern insecticide, however, it may be discarded.

Hydrocyanic Acid Gas - This is used for fumigating Glass Houses and Fruit trees in order to kill Mealy Bugs, Scale and other insects. The formula is:

Potassium Cyanide [98% purity] - 1oz
      Sulphuric Acid [specific gravity 1:83] - 1 and a half ozs
      Water - 3 and a half ozs

For hardy or dormant plants use 1 oz of Potassium Cyanide to 200 cubic ft of space, and for tenderuse 1 oz of the Cyanide per 500 cubi ft . The method of estimating the cubical air contents of Green Houses is dealt with in our Article "Arithmetic and Gardening"

As the gas is exceedingly dangerous to human beings, precautions must be taken before adopting this method of destroying pests. Special appliances are thus necessary to enable the House to be worked form the outside, and such can be obtained from Horticultural Sundriesmen. The House should be as dry as possible, the temperature not exceeding 60f.
      First make the House as air tight as possible, and pour the Sulphuric Acid slowly into the water, using an earthenware or non-metal jar. Then drop the Cyanide into it, and note that the deadly fumes come away at once. Leave the House sealed up for at least an hour, after which ventilate completely before attempting to enter it. One machine will be needed for each 10,000 cubic ft treated. Fruit trees, before planting, may be put into air tight House or Sheds. and left for at least three hours, to kill Scale Insects, Woolly Aphids, etc, upon them."

It always amazes me the risks that the commercial and estate gardeners took using the deadly chemicals that they did, but I guess that's all they had at their disposal. I've said before that being such a gardener a hundred years ago was not all that healthy a life!!! Obviously, in this day and age, we not allowed to have easy access or use to such chemicals but in those days you could walk into a Pharmacist or Horticultural Seedsman and buy it off the shelf!!!!

There are at least another four washes that are in this particular section of the Old Book [this one being published in 1884] and I will post them tomorrow for you to have a look at. Now it's time for a couple of thick slices of home made bread, a hunk of cheese, washed down with another mug of beer.:ccheers:

• Like Like x 2
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Bit like Chemical Warefare there.

I liked this bit.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,838
        I know what you mean, Ziggy. I don't think things have changed all that much really, except we have more sophisticated chemicals at hand and we are only just finding out the effect of those on Plant, Insect, Animal Life and the Food Chain. But to think of the experimentation that went on in the old days by the gardeners with so many deadly chemicals that we wouldn't think of using today makes me think they had a lot of guts!!. Maybe in a hundred years time some future gardeners might be thinking the same thing about the chemicals we use today:doh:;):dunno::snork:

• Like Like x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +53,823
          Seems like it's not only bugs they killed back then. A good read though Armandii. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,838
            It's been a really hot day today so working out in the garden was a pleasure but I needed lot of mugs of tea to replace the sweat!!! But now it's time for a retreat to the house and a sit down in the old chair with a cold glass of beer and a browse through the Old Books to finish the chapters about, how a hundred years ago, they made pesticide washes to try to keep their plants healthy. So have a sit down in the cool part of the House and switch on the Gas Light so you can read.

"LIME SALT WASH - This is the most effectual in the cleaning of Orchard trees, and for killing Apple and Plum Aphis. It also checks the Apple Sucker and Apple Blossom Weevil. It is one of the most useful washes of all, since the lime and salt return to the soil, and much improve the health of the trees, so that they are better able to resist disease. The formula is:

Quicklime - 1 - 1 and a half cwt
            Common Salt - 5lbs
            Water - 100 gallons

Slake the Lime up with water, and then strain through a coarse piece of sacking into the salt and water. Apply as a thick spray any time between late February and the bursting of the buds.

LIME SULPHUR WASH - This is the most useful for destroying Scale insects in the Winter and Summer. It is difficult to mix accurately, and gardeners are advised to purchase it ready made from any reliable firm.

LONDON PURPLE - This is a wast product which contains much soluble Arsenic, and unless Lime is added, very serious scorching will take place. We cannot recommend it highly, as it's killing power is low compared to Arsenate of Lead, and it's evil effects are too frequent. The formula, however, is:

London Purple - 3ozs
            Quicklime - 3ozs
            Water - 40 gallons

Apply as a spray any time during the growing season.

NICOTINE AND SOAP WASH - This is a most powerful insecticide for the destruction of Aphids, Apple Sucker, Cuckoo Spit, Leaf Miners, and all forms of young caterpillars. It's formula is:

Nicotine [96 per cent purity] - 1 and half to 2 and a half ozs
            Soft Soap - 4ozs
            Soft Water - 20 gallons

Pour the Nicotine into the dissolved soap into the water, and apply as a fine spray, but avoid using it on any plants the leaves of which are likely to be cooked or eaten in less than four or five weeks. The same remark applies to fruit.

PARAFFIN JELLY - This is most useful for killing Aphids, Leaf Hoppers, Red Spider, and Scale. It's formula is:

Paraffin - 5 gallons
            Soft Soap - 8 lbs
            Soft Water - 10 gallons

Simmer together in a closed copper, and when boiling add a few pints of water. When all is dissolved pour into a pail or barrel, when it will soon become a thick jelly. The formula used for spraying is:

Paraffin Jelly - 10 lbs
            Water - 40 gallons

This should be applied in the form of a fine spray at any time throughout the growing season.

PARTS GREEN - This insecticide was much used at one time, but owing to the fact that it frequently produces scorching, it's place has long since been taken by Arsenate of Lead. Although it is frequently recommended in many gardening books, no one with any experience advises it's use. However, for those who must have it, the formula is:

Paris Green Paste - 1oz
            Quicklime - 1oz
            Water - 10 gallons

The paste must be carefully shaken up with a little water, and strained, after which the Lime is added. It must be constantly stirred and applied as a fine spray.

PYRETHUM POWDER AND SPRAY - Pyrethum is used by Gardeners for all biting insects both as a wet spray and a dry spray. It may also be used as a fumigant under glass. The formula for the wet spray is:

Pyrethum Powder - 2 to 3 lbs
            Water - 10 gallons

The fresh powder is infused in a little hot water for at least 3 and a half hours. The liquid is then strained off, and added to the full amount of water. When cold the liquid is used as a spray.
            The dry powder may be dusted freely over the plants when they are wet with dew.

PYRIDINE AND SOAP - This is chiefly used for killing Cuckoo Spit and Aphids/ It's formula is:

Crude Pyridine - 4ozs
            Soft Soap - 2ozs
            Water - 10 gallons

Mix the Pyridine with a little warm water. Add the Soap previously dissolved in half a gallon of water. Stir well, and dilute to 10 gallons. Apply as a forceful spracy as soon as attacks are noticed.

QUASSIA AND SOAP - This is most useful simple wash is valuable for Aphids of the non-mealy or woolly sort. Note: This Wash needs a"lengthy and tiresome preparation" so I will leave the length paragraph on how to make it for another day!!

TOBACCO WASH - This is not so reliable as Nicotine and Soap Wash, and as Tobacco Waste is difficult to obtain, the only way one can use any Tobacco Wash in this country is to rely on a commercial firm for making the same. The formula, however, is:

Tobacco Waste - 4 to 6 lbs
            Soft Soap - 1 to 2 lbs
            Water - 20 gallons

The Tobacco Waste is infused in water, and this is constantly agitated . A pinch or two of soda is added, and then the solution is mixed after straining, with the dissolved soap and water.

WOBURN WINTER WASH - This useful wash is used for destroying Mussel Scale, and generally for cleaning fruit tres. It's formula is:

Paraffin [Solar distillate] - 10 pints
            Iron Sulphate - 1 lb
            Quicklime - half a pound
            Caustic Soda - 4 lbs
            Water - 20 gallons

Dissolve the Iron Sulphate in 18 gallons of water, and slake the Lime in a little water, adding a little more to make it into a milk. The run the milk into the dissolved Iron Sulphate through a fine sieve. finally churning up the oil into the Iron Sulphate and Lime, adding last of all the Caustic Soda. Apply as a heavy spray during the Winter when the trees are dormant.

It just amazes me how in those days, a hundred and more years ago, the Gardeners could obtain and use such deadly chemicals, toxic waste so easily from Retail sources in such a common place way. Also how did they find out how to make up the formulae and concoctions??? Being a gardener in those days was quite dangerous when you think about the way they mixed poisons and suchlike in Garden Sheds and Green Houses as an every day practice.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +122,174
            Zigs, you're going to have to increase the amount of smoking for you to be able to collect 4-6lb of tobacco waste :heehee:

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +53,823
            I think it must have been trial and error Armandii, erring on the side of error mostly. It's interesting to see that soap was used quite a lot in the 'recipes' and it is still used now particularly for aphids. :)

• Like Like x 1
            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,838
              I guess it was trial and error, Sheal, but it makes me shudder to think of what the effects were when they erred!!! I know from the Old Books that there was a lot of research going on in the Universities and Colleges even in those days and of course there was the Commercial grower and the Estate gardeners doing a bit of possibly less educated experimenting but some of the chemicals they were using were so deadly!! As you say, Soft Soap is still used but I'm glad the others aren't!!:snork:

• Like Like x 1