Fuchsia gall mite

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Michael Hewett, Sep 6, 2024.

1. BB3

BB3 Gardener

A bit of gardening
    Ratings:
    +1,543
    What's the problem with the house number?
    I must admit, we've never actually put anything suspect in ours - unless you count snails.

2. BB3

BB3 Gardener

A bit of gardening
    Ratings:
    +1,543
    I doubt they could tell a fuchsia from a French bean. And why should they? I'm sure the bin people don't have horticultural qualifications ( maybe they do. You need an ology for everything these days)
    What's the thing with the bin numbers?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
      Ratings:
      +3,503
      I think the house number, @BB3, is because you are renting the bin and if you stop paying, they collect it and allocate it to someone else ... who may not have the same number.

Apparently, @pete, they dump the whole load in landfill if they find it has been contaminated, eg with soil or compost. A friend was telling me their neighbour puts in dog waste. :thud: His reasoning is "the bags are compostible". Yeah, but the contents aren't! :nonofinger: My guess is that load has to be discarded every time. The bags would likely break open during compaction in the lorry, so just fishing them out wouldn't work.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,040
      Do you really think they have time to sort through it all and work out where the offending stuff comes from.

There are rules here regarding what you can put in the bin, but within reason if it's garden related most people just put it in the bin and we never hear of problems.

I've seen the other bins left and not emptied where people put obvious things in that are not acceptable but most peoples attitude regarding the garden bin is, I pay you extra to empty it, so do it. :biggrin:

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +4,477
      I don't grow fuchsias, although I used to have a couple of the woody/shrubby ones, but I'm sure there was an item on G's World last week. I only got round to watching it a few days ago, and I can't remember the detail, but it could be worth looking at on iPlayer to see what was advised.

I think there's some dubious material put in every bin here, but I'd agree - who's checking through every garden waste bin to see what type of plant material is in them? If there's something obvious like a plastic bag, they'd probably pull it out [maybe...] but the bin gets emptied into the truck and off they go. They don't see the contents - not at that point anyway.

It would be nice if people actually put their dog sh*t in a bin round here @ViewAhead instead of hanging it on trees and hedges, or just chucking it on the ground. The woman who dumped hers into someone else's blue bin [paper and cardboard] one day when I was out, wasn't happy that I said 'well done' to her. It was right next to a standard, household waste bin too. She actually followed me and said I was rude. I won't repeat what I told her she was, to do it in the first place. Those bins are partly sorted by hand. Lovely.

• ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,503
      No. I haven't suggested they can pinpoint the origin of offending stuff, though they collect from different areas on different days, so could narrow it down somewhat. But, if they see contamination (soil, dog waste bags) as the stuff is emptied out, it goes into landfill. If the collectors notice contamination when opening the bin lid to attach it to the lorry, they won't empty it and slap a sticker on to say why.

• ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,503
      Now we have an absolute explosion of dog ownership, @fairygirl, I honestly think we need to consider training them to go at home. Assistance dogs are trained to go on demand and not at other times, so why not all dogs? Everywhere here reeks of dog urine. Every street corner, every lamppost, every verge, all through the town centre on shop fronts, etc. The other day, I even saw one owner standing by whilst their dog peed up the glass doors of the Cathedral. I'm anti-religion, but even to my atheist mind that seemed a bit much ... and, of course, someone other than the owner would have the job of cleaning up the glass.

I know dog lovers will disagree with me, of course. :) It's natural behaviour, they are marking territory, etc, etc. But we don't put up with human urine being splashed all over the place, do we? And dogs are deprived of many "natural" behaviours by being kept as pets, eg opportunities to live in a pack, breed, etc.

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +4,477
      I'm also a thorough atheist @ViewAhead , but I agree - that's simply disrespectful, and is a classic example of the self entitlement, and thoughtlessness that I see on a regular basis. I felt the same when I saw damage done to a plaque on the trig at a summit of a hill which had a quote from the bible. It was alongside the bigger plaque which marked/displayed all the hills you can see from that one.
      It was beautiful, and some moron had taken offence to it and scraped it all. Despicable.
      I just don't know what's wrong with people nowadays.

Anyway, apologies for digressing....

• Like Like x 1
      • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,503
        We have moved some distance from gall mite certainly. :)

Fingers crossed for a proper cold spell this winter, which might help with control. :fingers crossed: