FUCHSIA'S - 2015

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Feb 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Wiseowl,

Now you know why I said I wish more plant books were written in this way.

If you remind me about the end of January I'll see what hardies i've got extra of and you'll be welcome to some if you want them. I always do too many anyway, this year I threw about 30 mixed cuttings away. ( That was after keeping about 120 and giving about 25 away ).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi Trogre,

I don't mind at all, just glad to have helped :)

I must admit that I haven't seen that book so I'll be keeping an eye out for it to go with my collection.

I agree with you about Dave Clarks site, I've read through it quite a few times.

• intel

intel Gardener

Ratings:
      +497
      If its sunny then during the winter months then it will get up to 20.c plus
      but normally with the heating on it will stay at about 18.c and drops to
      about 10.c on a very cold night

• Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
      +724
      What a strange fucshia! That flower looks remarkably like a pound coin :scratch:

:heehee:

• Funny Funny x 2
      • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +91,656
        Good morning @Anthony Rogers my friend that is very kind and friendly of you,thank you:smile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • trogre

trogre Gardener

Ratings:
          +281
          Radiation 91 that £1 coin is not a fuchsia (attachment 54368) it comes off a money tree. Been trying for years to grow one but with no success:roflol:

You know I have been trying to find the best conditions for my fuchsia cuttings to root & grow. I have found that soaking the cutting for a few hours and at same time watering the compost in cell and then let it drain over night works for me. Also the best position seems to be the East East South windowsill but making sure it does not get direct sunlight to start with.

Just one question, It seems spring, Sept to December, December being the favourite month for cuttings ready for next season. I have been taking cuttings all summer, more to see if they will grow. Anyway could not get as many cuttings as I would have liked that did not have buds on.

These cuttings although only around 2" (50mm) tall are growing well but have small buds on.

Do I leave these small buds on?? I know taking cuttings before it is budding time will put all energy into growing the cutting. I also think once they start to bud all the energy goes into producing buds

Out of curiosity what difference would it make to the plant as it grows bearing in mind they are coming up within a few, well a couple really of months before hibernation presuming you do not have a heated greenhouse. I expect given right conditions over winter they will survive but would the small plant be stunted next spring due to leaving buds on or just small?

Thanks for any input, all new territory for me.

• Funny Funny x 1
          • Apple Blossom

Apple Blossom Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +3,028
            You've noticed my money tree......... keep it to yourself ...

[​IMG]

Don't tell everyone as they will want a cutting!!!!

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
            • Apple Blossom

Ratings:
              +3,028
              Hi @trogre, I took a cutting a couple of weeks ago, popped it into water and it now has some fantastic roots. I took off any buds as I wanted it to put all its energy into the roots, not sure what will happen with this one so will be interested in the feedback you get

image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
              • Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
                +724
                :loll: When propagating, you did take the seeds out of the £1 coin didn't you? :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 2
                • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  Hi Intel,

I don't think you'd be wise to keep established plants in there over the winter.
                  That temperature is way to high, from about the end of Dec till the end of Feb the ideal would be around 5 to 10 deg, daytime and night-time, this would keep the plants just ticking over in green leaf. Any higher and the day light hours just aren't long enough to sustain healthy growth.

If you can lower the temperature to around 10 to 15 deg then you'd be able to strike and grow cuttings in there.

• Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  Hi Rad, it's nice to see you've ventured into " Fuchsia World " Lol

Or..... Did the bright shiny coin entice you. :roflol:

• Funny Funny x 1
                  • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
                    +0
                    Hi Trogre,

You can take cuttings off flowering/budding shoots no problem but take all the buds off first, if you can't take them from the very tip then remove the growing tip as well above a pair of leaves but try not to damage the tiny new side shoots.

The cuttings should grow normally once rooted but I would continue to remove any flower buds that form until the end of March.

• Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
                    +0
                    Hi Apple Blossom,

I've rooted loads like that, you just need to carefully pot him up now.
                    How many pairs of leaves has it.

I'd pinch the top out when it has around 3 pairs and this will then make it bush out.

This looks like a perfect plant to keep ticking over during the winter, and with the correct pinching out should be a good bushy plant by the end of March.

• Informative Informative x 1
                    • Apple Blossom

Ratings:
                      +3,028
                      Thank you Anthony that's really useful for some of the others I have.... however this one I'm going to have a go at training it into a standard :)

• Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
                      +724
                      :wub2: Shineeeeey! :heehee:

Don't get me wrong, I like Fuchsias but I'm not a big fan of pink :redface: And most of the fuchsias I've seen so far have been pink. Who knows, maybe I'll warm to them :noidea:

You've opened my eyes though Ant! I found a few fuchsias which have really nice colours :blue thumb: I've got my Tom West Fuchsia sat happily in the garden at the moment and I'm keeping my eyes open for other additions :yay:

• Like Like x 3
                      Thread Status:
                      Not open for further replies.