FUCHSIAS - 2017

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    @ARMANDII, I used to pay £25 for large hanging baskets, watered them regular but where we live both front and back are sun traps, so they used to burn up quick, in the end I brought those false round green ones besides purple...which still look nice but nothing like the real thing in my opinion.:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
      Ratings:
      +5,404
      Ricky, sometimes that can be a sign your fuchsia is a bit poorly. I would remove all the leaves and burn them if I were you, and maybe clip the plant back a bit, and make sure it has enough water.
      The other thing with fuchsias is not to feed them with nitrogen fertilisers, but rather stick with tomato food (potassium)
      I wouldn`t give up on your plant yet :)

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,486
        Yep! Cut them hard back, remove all leaves and apply a mulch. Agree too not to do anything to boost growth right now by feeding etc.

I have found hard pruning of plants...hardy fuschias and hypericum are examples......prevent rust. Good air circulation and mulching are 2 key factors for me. (I think often we overfeed our plants and I have seen this so often where lushly grown plants succumb to all sorts of problems. Grown hard is best I think :))

• Informative Informative x 1
        • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,890
          Hi @ricky101 ,

Please DO NOT cut your Fuchsias down to the ground at this time of year. The bare stems offer protection to the crown of the plant. Just cut off any soft new growth .

As to it being rust did you notice any powder coming off onto your fingers when you touched it? If yes then its rust, if not it could have been dryness.

Fuchsia rust is a different disease to other forms, for instance Hollyhock rust. It is an airborne disease ( so mulch away to your hearts content but if it's in the air you're likely to get it ) and is carried by the main three plants you see of the Fuchsia family.......... Fuchsias, Evening Primroses and Willow Herb. The main carrier is Evening Primrose si i don't grow any of them and i wouldn't encourage anyone who grows Fuchsias to grow them.

The best way to deal with it is to hold a plastic bag under the leaf that is affected and snip the leaf into it and so on for each affected leaf.

• Funny Funny x 1
          • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
            +17,486
            Ricki, a chance to experiment. Cut one or two as I suggested and leave the others. Let us know next year what the outcome is.:) As a forum we can then all know for sure !:)

• Like Like x 2
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
              Ratings:
              +6,133
              :awesome: fuschia pics KFF'y... LOL could say ya gotta bit of an addiction there ;) - how many varieties do you grow now or have ya stopped counting :heehee:

@KFF that is a BEEutiful Fuschia is it a tender or half-hardy .... want... want ..LOVE it whatever it is :wub2:if it is, pretty hardy :what:.... gawd it will be defo on my must have list :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 2
              • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +5,890
                Hi @BeeHappy ,

Only grow about 60 odd now. In my hey day ( when i had more room and could cope with them :) ) the list topped 150.

Sorry medears , Trumpeter is a tender hybrid has to be kept at 15 deg plus and kept growing all through Winter. If it goes dormant it dies :(

• Like Like x 2
                • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +6,133
                  :sad: WELL it figures anything sooo BEEutiful :wub2:would inevitably be PRECIOUS - Make sure ya take care of it KFF'y meluvverly as im looking forward to seeing it in 2018 .... :whistle:BUT only in yr garden most defo
                  not
                  MINE!!! :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 1
                  • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +6,133
                    @ARMANDII and @Ian Taylor :loll:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017