funniest moments in the garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by intermiplants, Sep 14, 2007.

1. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Was that you?! That hit me! Ouch :D </font>[/quote]Oh my oh my that was definitely my laugh for the day :D

Interesting about the birds aswell, never knew that you learn something new every day. Being a bit of a dunce in the snails department, when i find empty shells on my travels i just fugure they have moved on to bigger ones :D doh

2. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    How does that work Walnut? Are the bones still in the animals? It must be a bird brain. I'd have thought it would drop rocks (which can be heavy) on the bones which are quite light.

3. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I think the eagle drops the bones to get at the marrow inside. Aren't there eagles around the Mediterranean that carry up tortoises and then drop them to smash their shells? Didn't some famous ancient Greek supposedly get killed by having an eagle drop a tortoise on his head?

4. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Quite right Geoff the greek in question was Aeschylus the bird refered to as being resposible for dropping the tortoise is the Lammergeire it's a cross between a vulture and an eagle Lammergeier will drop tortoises to break open the shells in the same way as they do bones. The tortoise is likely to be dead already as Lammergeier are very much carrion eaters (they may rarely take live prey). Although they eat bones, it's the marrow they are after. They are described vultures rather than eagles but that distinction may not have been so well defined at the time of Aeschylus or Pliny and some eagles will also feed on tortoises in this way.
    Come on John think about it to drop a rock from a great height and hit a bone on the ground would take some pretty careful aiming, to drop a bone on an area of rock easy (not so bird brained after all)

5. AndyK

AndyK Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    funniest moment of late:

we were sat in the family room when a squirrel came bounding up the grass towards the glass door... CLUNK! Squirrel headbutts the door, looks confused, gets up, shakes itself off.... CLUNK! Stupid thing just kept headbutting the door!

Then eventually it got the picture and ran off down the hill & up the tree, then proceeded to fall out of the tree! There was a cat sat on the wall watching the squirrel, and I kid you not it looked at the squirrel and rolled it's eyes & raising its head as if to say "tut, stupid squirrel!"

adding to that the determined squirrel was trying to get in the letterbox on sunday, he's a determined little fella!

6. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds nuts to me Andy! :D
    Helen.xxx.

7. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    [​IMG] very quick " yorkshire braveheart" bet that was funny andy they cheeky swines them squirrels we have one that the locals have named "secret squirrel" the only secret about our resident squirrel is i havnt told the wife how much its costing to feed the cheeky ****** [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    LOL AndyK :D wished id seen that, im giggling thinking of it. DEE

9. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    further to the snail warfare in manchester i would like to add the following .last night i was having a stroll round the garden as the dog wanted his routine chase round the garden when
    i heard a likkle clunk then saw it was a bloody snail hit the floor that had been whizzed and hit my shed it was another whizzer could tell by its eyes [​IMG] and the slates on its mobile home were damaged. dont get mad get even so i picked the snail up to whizz back in any direction as that is the direction they are coming when i got a strong smell of fags so i smelt again and the snail stunk off fags. [​IMG] so unless someone knows of a bird that drop snails from a high to crack the shells and at the same time has a crafty puff on a cigarette . please let me know

10. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    IP,

Did i hear Dog (ears prick up), smoked snails - could be from the local lardie dah eatery perhaps :D

11. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    maybe the snail was smoking a golden leaf :rolleyes:

12. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
  13. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    on no ive just found one with pizza stuck to it.think the next step is to get some of that money dye that stuff they use to catch tea leaves [​IMG] find all the whizzer snails and cover them in dye and return them back to all the culprits within range. ill take pics and have a snail line up. and whoever keeps walking up the street covered in dye and if i can identify the snail . i will nail the son of a gun dont get mad get even,, punishment being a bag of worms painted in red gloss by yours truly posted by yours truly through the letterbox box :D :D

14. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I would paint the snails in glow-in-the-dark paint Ste I'm sure that would freak out your phantom snail thrower! :D

Just imagine their horror when they step out into their garden and spy little glowing blobs all over their garden :eek:
    Helen.xxx.

15. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Here's a funny one for you guys and girls.

I have done everything to keep my neighbours four cats from using my garden beds as a toilet you name it and I'ave tried it well maybe not a shotgun! :D

Just like the law says with growing branches that over hang your garden from next door...you can cut it put you have to give it back to the owner

We have now declared war on the critters and have started to shovel up their poo and throw it back over to the owner's garden! [​IMG]

Nobody has caught us 'in the act' as we do it late at night on our slug hunts! [​IMG]

I'm a good girl and I don't like keeping things that is not mine! :D
    Helen.xxx.