fussy eater

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by rosa, Jul 4, 2006.

1. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks liz try not to worry but its hard not to, my hubby keeps telling me not to worry he said you can see she is not starving and she will eat when she is hungry, She is not a big cavalier quite small and i suppose they just have little tummies.

2. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    just to let you know liz found about 4 pet stores in my area that sell james wellbeloved food will go and get some tommorow its worth a try, better than all this tinned dog food going to waste and in the long run will be better for her. Thanks

3. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rosa - I have a very fussy Sprocker - she has had cancer for 3 years so now is spoilt rotten with sausages for brekkie and mince and spuds for tea - cooked in bulk and defrosted when needed [​IMG] When she has really been off her food I have tried Chappie - fish based tinned food and very cheap - she loves it but it STINKS!! Also tinned fish mixed in. The Wellbeloved stuff is great - I have a Springer also who will eat ANYTHING and I have to feed them seperatley :rolleyes:

4. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I use james wellbeloved and get it delivered from the company..you order it one day and its with you the next...the pet supermarket also deliver it for you..I used to give my dog fresh chicken with his but as he has got older have had to cut him down a bit so he gets tuna or chicken with it about 3 times a week ..its really good food my daughters spaniel allways had bowel problems..she tried him on james well beloved and hes cured..i have used it for 8 years so i cant compare it with any other..

5. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    well i have given her all sorts chicken, mince every dinner we eat eventually she gets fed up of everything and i definately have decided from all i have heard james wellbeloved could be the answer
    as i need to have her on the same food and it will be better health wise for her in the long run.
    Then i can add a little gravy and veg.
    I know for a fact she is going to turn her nose up at it, going to not let her have her own way and leave it, let all of you know how i get on.

6. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,789
    Hello Rosa. Had another thought about your pooch. If this is a fairly recent problem, have you looked in his mouth lately? My sister had this problem with her fussy eater cat a year or so ago and it turns out the poor moggie had an ulcer under a tooth and had to have it removed. Funnily, she started eating properly again :D

There's probably some fish and chip shops in the tourist areas, but I don't go there :D :D

7. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hi lady of leisure, no she has been doing this for a long time and she is only 11 months old.
    when she does get hungry she eats fine,just been out today and bought james wellbeing for her so lets hope she eats it.
    Go for fish & chips had mine yesterday they where yummy [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    got the james wellbeing and as i suspected she looked at it give it a smell then walked away, left it out as now unlike dog food it will not go off. Going to persevere and see what she does as i am determined to get her on this food.

9. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    My perseverance has just about paid off, left out the james wellbeing food 4 days yesterday, felt awful nearly gave in last night and give her something different, she must of been that hungry she ate it after 11 pm.
    My hubby said iff i had given her one of our sandwiches or anything of ours she would not hesitate to eat the lot.
    Found out now as much as i would like to give her our food i cant as i will be back to square one and in the long run i am doing it for her as cavaliers as a lot of members know can eventually develop heart conditions.
    Thanks for everyones in-put to solving this situation very much appreciated

10. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Well done Rosa, it is hard to resist , much easier just to give, in but as you say far better for your madam in the long run. Once you have a feeding [or eating!] routine established then she can have treats from your table if you see fit.
    Other good dog foods I'd recommend are Nutro- expensive, Pascoes- medium but organic, and Chappie- cheap and cheerful, but most vets recommend it.

11. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    thanks liz, she has done the same with todays not touched it but i just ignore her and when she comes up to me she is dying to sniff my mouth, maybe i should eat one, no only joking.

12. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well done Rosa - keep it up - it must be very upsetting for you but, as you say, it is for the best [​IMG]

13. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    thats a fact marge.Iff she ate anything i would not mind feeding her different foods hers and ours but when she does this fussy thing even with our foods that was it for me, it was getting ridiculous. Got to the stage i just had to make a stand and do something about it.

14. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    She's like a toddler, she knows she's got your attention! Harden your heart, as long as she drinks she'll be OK.
    My daughter's little dog Pickles drives her potty refusing to eat... he stands by his food bowl with his tail drooping looking pathetic. When he's staying with me he knows the other dogs will get it if he doesn't eat up, so no problems!
    Don't give in! :rolleyes:

15. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Thats excactly what she does liz then she goes a step further and dissapears to her bed in a huff.
    Then when i give her a vitamin pill she gets one every day every so often she will not take it from me so now i put it on the floor and walk away from her, to let her see she has not got the better of me.
    Not giving in and your right their just like children. :eek: