Garden Destruction

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by pamsdish, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Nightmare Pam,

You poor soul.

No consolation I suppose but my hard earned vegetable garden was trashed by a drunk driver a few weeks back. I'm now in limbo waiting to hear from the insurance company.

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,893
    I feel for you Pam, it's hard to see all the work you've put in taken apart.

Try not to despair too much and think of the surprises you'll have when you replant what's been taken up. A lot of the plants you think you may lose will re-shoot and do you proud! Hang in there! :)

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,995
    I hope it's over quickly before the 2 weeks, for your sake Pam. It must be terribly frustrating.

4. jenny22

jenny22 Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +6
    have just come across this how frustrating for you, if its any consolation, we moved here just over 2 years ago and we were nearly 70, we had over an acre of sheer wilderness, if you look on our pics you can see, and we have reclaimed a lot of it and now have the beginnings of a lovely garden, you can do it again, you are not old try to think of the coming year and plan to start again, spend an hour or so looking at plant and seed catalogues and do a drawing or two to relay everything out, you can re build your garden, look forward to the joy of replanting and re planning.

all the very best to you

jenn

5. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Pam, it sounds awful but like everyone is saying on this thread, be positive and look on it as a project.

I'd be happy to send you cuttings or seeds once you are ready to start again. Just let me know.

6. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Pam.
    I to missed you plight first time around.
    You most be gutted, but then again If you think positive you have the beginnings of a new garden ahead of you. That is something I wish I had sometimes as my little back garden is such a shambles.
    Anyway... hope it turns out for the best. I have a feeling it will
    Robert

7. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    Thanks everyone for your comments and helpful remarks.

We were going to go slabbed with planters ,but looking at the neighbours already completed it looks appalling .

So we are going back to turf,I will get the borders nice and wide and the soil will be a vast improvement on what we have now,

They are leaving the pyracanthas in situ and the weigela and forsythia as they are too mature to move also against the wall.

In the turf I have a small copper leaved tree its not a birch ,I have the name in the shed, and they will make a large raised central planter,

So I will be thinking deep as once in I will not be digging them out again ,apart from routine garden maintenance

8. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,445
  9. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,995
    The photos are very tiny Pam.

10. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,445
  11. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,995
    That's better. I'm not sure I like what your neighbour has done, all paving stones lokks a bit stark. I hope they do yours quick now the summer has come.

12. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    We were going to have the paving stones ,but on seeing the reality changed our minds.:rolleyespink: All I can see is slabs now as all my neighbours have slabbed, :dunno:

We will ba an oasis in the concrete jungle :loll:

13. NewGardener

NewGardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    I feel for you. The estate I used to live on had to have EVERY house (over 100) done like you, the soils were contaminated with cyanide and all sorts from an old chemical works. The scary thing is, people had been growing in their gardens there for decades. :( They dug about 2 foot out of each I think.

When I was digging a trench around the trampoline to secure the membrane for underneath, I found the remnants of a pond, looking at it, it looks like the size of a bloody swimming pool, and it's filled with bricks, pots, and all sorts of junk. No way am I digging all that out. :(

14. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    A problem to consider Pam, is, if all your neighbours have had their gardens slabbed, where is the rainwater going to run to?:cool:

15. NewGardener

NewGardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    And, I presume that relevant planning permission would have been applied for? If you're flagging front gardens now, you have to apply for permission I believe, because of drainage issues?