Garden lighting

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by trying hard, Dec 12, 2007.

1. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    I was wondering how pensioners would be able to afford to employ an electrician to change a light bulb [​IMG]

2. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    On our firm there are 'mature' Electritians and Plumbers who haven't bothered to keep up with the relevant qualifications, and so the lads who were their apprentices who did the extra study at night school, are the only ones allowed to sign off any projects and issue paper work..No site experience but qualified 'clipboard boys' none the less.At least you can be sure of a double act if you have work done...which you will pay for as Pete says.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,088
    We have reached a point where "qualifications" outweigh experience.
    I recently had to be shown how to use a nail gun, it took a good three hours to show us all how to safely operate something we have been using for years.
    Cost the company a few hundred in lost production and to pay the people doing the demo.
    About a month afterwards we were all sent "nice" certificates,
    WONDERFUL.

And thats just a small example how "Health and Safety" is ruining our manufacturing industries.

4. water-garden

water-garden Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I found that certificates like that look good on dart boards, or in the toilet, just incase, since that is all they are worth.

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Whis4ey are you suggesting we have common sense tests to see if we are capable of doing these common sense jobs or is it a case of "self assessment".Pete & WG there is a right way of doing things many people use nail guns, chainsaws and fit gas appliances I would like to think they been on relevant courses before operating them near me at least they're pointed in the right direction.

6. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    Have you considered that the person who has just 'passed his test' to enable him to 'use a chainsaw' 'use a nail gun' drive a car' 'be a doctor' 'be a lawyer' etc etc has only just begun his/her training?
    That is the stage where they then need to gain experience under proper supervision
    Unfortunately they are then let loose on the public without either
    We would surely all recognise this as far as the new car driver is concerned at the very least
    In banking, it used to take some 7-9 years before new staff qualified to be on the front desk on a till
    Now it is possible in 3 months
    I think that in itself tells a story
    Maybe we should have a test to see if we are capable of taking a test? [​IMG]
    My point, Walnut, is that there is no substitute for common sense and experience, and that these are not magically acquired through reguilations, or tests or whatever
    The world is not a safer place today because of regulations that are in reality unenforceable
    And yes ... I DO believe that many of the points covered in these regulations are completely sensible
    Unfortunately many are quite ludicrous [​IMG]

7. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I agree, Whis4ey, the knowledge between your ears is much more important than what`s written on a piece of paper.

8. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,088
    I agree with walnut a common sense test would be a good idea, at the moment any body can pass certain tests just by having a reasonably good memory.
    How about "thinking for yourself", something rarely done these days.

9. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Whis4ey having served 6years as an engineering apprentice I know the benefits of practical and theory work in fact I have taught tradesmen and apprentices, no way would I turn them loose on machines or tools until they knew all the safety procedures and how they should be used properly,they needed that bit of paper off me or they would not be allowed on the shopfloor when they were competent they were signed off.

10. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    [​IMG]
    I don't disagree with any of that Walnut
    The problem today seems to be that training is now considered adequate after a month or so of attending a 'class'
    And there is no point in teaching someone how to do something if they then, knowing it all, disregard what they have been taught

11. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Unfortunately that happens all to often these days Sam, the driving test is a typical example they learn the theory and the practical pass the test then forget everything with all to often fatal consequences.

4 Wheels move the body
    2 Wheels move the soul

12. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
  13. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Must come back in because I just saw this story on 'Look North' which most of you won't get.

Nothing to do with qualifications, just the usual nanny red tape.

A lollipop man in Sheffield has been suspended from his primary school crossing because on the last day of school before Christmas he dressed as Father Christmas to see the kids across the road. He was apparently 'illegally dressed'.

Since the start of this term the 4 to 10 year olds have had no lollipop man because the council can't appoint a new one as he is only suspended until the hearing.

If a kiddie gets killed crossing the road presumably it will be legal from the council's point of view? Hope you like this. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    John
    I think that sort of nonsense says it all [​IMG]
    Had you heard (just before Christmas) of the Santa Claus in Australia who was no longer to say 'ho ho ho' to the kids because of connotations with American call girls?
    They had to say ha ha ha instead
    With a world like that, it is no wonder we have to call India today to be able to speak to the bank manager whose bank is downstairs from ourselves [​IMG]

15. markdavis709

markdavis709 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    HI,
    Thanks for all the information people.It was very useful indeed. Also Sarraceniac, thank you very much for that information. I had no clue about it earlier and I feel that it is such a shame.