Garden Lights

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Victoria, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Kathy, just spotted your post of the 20th about councils ripping us off. We no longer have an auction house in town. Charity shops didn't want it (too big) but I wanted to get rid of a 1930s club style leather suite (not fashionable) having just got a genuine art deco one. I phoned the council and asked how much to remove it- �£40. A friend of mine has a pick-up and offered to take it to the tip, free (I bought him a bottle). Just leave it outside near the gate so the 'new' one could come in and he would pick it up in a few days. 4 days later I got a letter from the council saying that they were charging me �£100 for 'fly tipping' - in my own garden! If I didn't pay they would prosecute and I could be fined up to �£1,000. Fortunately my mate picked it up the very same day that the letter arrived so I sent for my local councilor (no I didn't phone, I SENT for) and raised ****. A week later I got a letter from the council saying that they had decided to drop my fly tipping charges - very generous. What a country this is now.

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,189
    Thank you ydd, Sar, rosa, Helen and Kathy3. I'm very pleased with my treasure trove. [​IMG]

What a story, John ... like the system here better, that's for sure ... like most things here better for that matter. It's sunny and 27 degrees at the moment. :rolleyes:

ydd, you mentioned daylight photos ... the front door lights ...

[​IMG]

... and one on a post (I could have straightened it actually) ...

[​IMG]

These three lights are 37cm long and 18cm wide.

3. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Dont things like that make a garden, we can,t buy them here, well i haven,t seen any. next time im on holiday im going to make it my mission to find them, i love them LOL there Fab. DEE

4. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,189
    Hey, ddy ... come here and take some back ... perhaps you wouldn't even have to buy them like us. [​IMG]

5. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    LOL Lol, I know where i live no one would throw them out, then again where i live most wouldn,t know what they were LoL [​IMG] DEE

6. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    hi john
    sorry been in bed with flu,glad you fixed up that council,they are so nasty,happy for you [​IMG] [​IMG]

lol your lights are beautiful,both day and night
    you lucky lady :D no one will be that lucky again

7. CactusLady

CactusLady Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there, new member here, not so far away in Spain [​IMG]

This is also common in Spain - when I first came here, I thought someone was going through the bins, until I realised what it was........

8. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,189
    Ola CactusLady ... and welcome from one Lady to another. [​IMG]

Depends on where you are in Spain ... it takes us 13 hours non-stop driving from here to Santander. However, if you're somewhere on the Med ... I'm 1.5 hours from the border.

I've been gardening here for ten years so am well established now (Members Gallery, An Algarve Garden). I still need, though, and get a lot of help from folk here as it's amazing how many grow Med plants in the UK.

Anyway, welcome aboard, and if I can be of help ... just ask. [​IMG]