Garden ruined!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by leonora, Aug 5, 2010.

1. leonora

leonora Gardener

Retired (translator)
    Ratings:
    +29
    Uh....we don't have the option, July/August is the only time my partner has...I am a pensioner, he isn't, he HAS to take his annual leave then.

No, if he offered to look after the garden, then he needs to know HOW to look after it!! And what bits to look after. I'm not sure if I've made it clear, this is a block of flats, it's not as if he has to come a long way to do it.....and just before I left, we had a long conversation about how much better the whole block looks since I started looking after the garden.

Er...what do you mean by 'a little more planning'?

2. leonora

leonora Gardener

Retired (translator)
    Ratings:
    +29
    The garden looks a bit better now...I have some beautiful lilies, strongly scented....
    Bought some exquisite violas in Homebase this morning!

I did plant some more peas and beans, so it looks as though I might get an autumn crop after all.

3. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    Glad to hear that some things are on the come back for you.

4. leonora

leonora Gardener

Retired (translator)
    Ratings:
    +29
  5. cromar

cromar Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Leonora

Why not invest in an automatic watering system. For around £60 - £100 you can go away and won't have to worry about watering.

Mind you - it won't pinch out your tomato side-shoots.

6. leonora

leonora Gardener

Retired (translator)
    Ratings:
    +29
    Follow-up to the above....
    You're probably not going to believe this, but.....we were woken up at four o'clock this morning by the police hammering on the window!! (We're on the ground floor). They shouted for me to let them in, which I did (AND checked their ID!!) , there were 6 of them, two in uniform, the rest in plain clothes, and they all went running up to the neighbour's flat!! Yes, THAT neighbour, the one who killed my plants!!!

The thing is, after the incident with not watering the garden, I had him figured for 'nice but dim'...and it can't have been 'just a domestic', surely, or they wouldn't have needed 6 officers to arrest him....it looks as if he has been involved in some kind of criminal activity, and THAT'S why he forgot about the garden!!!

7. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,984
    leonora; did you report him for not watering your plants?

8. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Sound like he had other plants to water :wink:

9. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668

I think so too :hehe:

10. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Perhaps they arrested him for commiting Herbicide.:hehe::gnthb::D

11. Chopper

Chopper Do I really look like a people person?

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112
    Better still bring his body to me! THEN let me babysit.

I can hear all the do gooders complaining already. The ideal child is seen, not heard and belongs to somebody else.

My teenage stepdaughters friends, tell any potential boyfriends to be extremely careful. Or they ask if they know who her dad is. I almost felt sorry for one of them..... he turned up to see my daughter when the house was full of my club brothers. One of those Mastercard moments, the look on his face was priceless.

Leonora, sorry to hear about your garden. Look on the bright side, a lot of the plants will come back with a good soaking. Those that don't will give you space to try something new. Good luck getting it back up to standard.

Chopper.

12. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Digressing a bit, but on the subject of today's kids.

A sign of the times,

Our youngest son has been with his partner for about seven years, she has a daughter who is now fifteen who thinks the world of him.
    When he and his partner first got together they left it for a year before introducing him to the daughter and another six months before they moved in together, just in case. The daughter who would have been around nine at the time told her friends that her (divorced) mum now had a boyfriend.

The first two questions she was asked by her schoolfriends;

"Is he married?"
    "Has he got a job?"

How sad!

13. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    :hehe: :hehe:

14. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    Six officers for a minor misdemeanor is nothing. The time to worry is when they arrive in full riot gear. Did you give your neighbour keys to your house? If so, you could have come home to a lot worse than a few untended tomato plants

15. Chopper

Chopper Do I really look like a people person?

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112
    Thats nothing Clara.

Three years ago the local travellers decided to steal my trailer from outside my house. I heard them and went out with a pickaxe handle. I missed the first swing and the guy sat in the van drove straight at me. I had to dive over the wall to get out of the way. I took another swing and hit the A Post on the van breaking the windscreen and putting a big dent in the side of the van. They drove off in a hell of a hurry.

I grabbed my keys and yelled at Mrs Chopper to call the cops, while I gave chase. I followed them all the way to thier camp, where there was a big group of them gathered around a fire. Way too many for me on my own, so I made a few calls to get a few lads together.

Mrs Chopper called me to tell me that the police had said that they did not have anyone to send out. Ok, fair enough I thought, we will deal with it our way.

Few minutes later Mrs Chopper called me again to say not to come back to the house as they were looking for ME!! When she had dialled 999 she told the cops that I was chasing the travellers and I was NOT in a very good mood. The local plod know I am a club member, they also know I do have what they like to call "Anger management issues"!! I tend to lose the plot when someone upsets me, especially thieves that enter my property.

The police had no one to come and arrest the thieving travellers, but they had 6 cars and a police dog handler to arrest me. I was on bail for 3 months waitying for them to decide if they had enough evidence to charge me with anything. They decided to offer me a caution instead of going to court. I refused point blank. I had done nothing wrong. Far as I was concerned, they entered my property with the intention of stealing. They then tried to run me over. My better half and my stepdaughter were in the house at the time. If they want to have a go at me personally, thats fine. I tend to get a tad protective about my family.

The cops dropped the case against me for lack of evidence. I lodged an official complaint, but was told that lack of resources prevented them sending anybody out. UTTER RUBBISH.

By the way, I got my trailer back my own way a week after the cops dropped the case. Travellers not been anywhere near my place since.

Chopper.