Garden solar lights

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by PinkFinger, May 13, 2011.

1. watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
    +549
    They will be expensive, because when your "low voltage" lights are still on the solar ones will have gone out and you will end up changing them to "low voltage" lights too.

The B & Q near me have spotlight ones, but they are dim at best.

2. watergarden

Ratings:
    +549
    I have just come back from B & Q and sad that it is, I took pictures while I was there.

[​IMG]

Set of two, metal body, solar lights £50

[​IMG]

Set of two, plastic body, "low voltage" lights £15

[​IMG]

Set of 10 aluminum / plastic colour change LED lights £20

(Seen these at night, yes they do change colour, but they are not bright at all)

Makes the ebay ones look cheap. But I would opt for the "low voltage" ones.

• Like Like x 1
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,248
      Cheers for the research WG !
      I have ordered the 2 solar spots for £10 , and you know I am going to fit proper lights this winter :D

• HarryS

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,248
      Got my Ebay solar spotlights. Now they wont pick out any marauding German bombers :D The light off them is OKish . As watergarden said if you want spotlighting / uplighting the mains low voltage ones are the best option . Just looked on Ebay they are not cheap these days. I may fit them over this winter.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,986
      How long does the light last for Harry? And is it enough to pick out one plant? That's what I'm after, something that can gently illuminate specfic plants for a few hours after dusk.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,986
      Just remembered I saw a lovely display of wired lighting at the Hampton Court Flower Show this year:
      Cube Lighting

It was one of the best things I saw there, I tried taking photos but nothing came out inside the blacked out marquee, it was very subtle and quite stunning. I'm going to research it when I've got time. At first glance the running costs are very cheap but the initial investment is very high (for these mains/low voltage systems).

• HarryS

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,248
      I'll move them onto one plant and have a look tonight John. I'll see how long they last for as well - I would imagine about 6 hours.

• watergarden

Ratings:
      +549
      (I know, I am not HarryS)
      JWK, what you have to consider is the duration of the light depends on how much light the solar panel received during the day. And since you want to put them under a plant its not going to last that long.

Also the box of solar lights says "last upto 8 hours" it could (like mine do) last 40 - 80 minutes (That's on a good day) because that is still UPTO 8 hours.

Another thing, they come on while its still light, way before its even dusk.

I would also suggest that if it has only 1 LED you look for the ones that have 3 or more LEDS, and put at least 2 of these by your plant.

"Low voltage lights" do not cost all that much, see HERE You will also need a transformer and cable (also sold at DIY sheds, next to the lights)
      Other versions and suppliers of lights are available.

Perhaps HarryS will take and post a picture?

• Like Like x 1
      • HarryS

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,248
        The twin solar spots I got of Ebay have 3 LEDs in each lamp and are stainless steel - very thin stainless steel ! I positioned them both on one of my cannas last night. The lighting wasn't to bad with 2 spots on it , they were still on at 3 this morning from dusk at about 10.30pm. They sell on ebay for £10 a pair including postage , so it may be worth a go :thumbsup:
        Watergarden I tried to take a pic last night , but it did not show up very well.

• watergarden

Ratings:
        +549
        I thought you may like to see a picture of my solar lights.

[​IMG]

Yes, they really have been assigned to the skip. Don't think they lasted 2 years, never really much more than a glow at best. I will of course be keeping my other lights.