Garden waste wheelie bin woes

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by BlackCountryGardener, Jun 29, 2024.

1. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,199
    When I didn't pay for the collection last year @Thevictorian , I did the same - filled it and let it drop a bit, and filled it a bit more. By the time I paid for this year, and put it out the first time, I was really loaded, and I realised it was very heavy, and wondered if they'd tell me to sling my hook!
    It was no problem though. There might have been a bit of swearing when the boys shifted it to the lorry, but there was onviously no issue with the actual emptying process.

In the past, we didn't have a collection over winter, but that changed at least 15 years ago. It's only recently the charge has happened, but it was inevitable.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • KT53

KT53 Gardener

Retired and clapped out.
      Ratings:
      +456
      Our council states no soil too but I'm damned if I'm going to wash the roots of the plants I'm binning. Even the contents of hanging baskets go in whole. I just make sure the illegal stuff is towards the bottom of the bin so that if the bin police do a search they won't get down that far.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • cactus_girl

cactus_girl Super Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +1,386
        Our council says no veg or fruit. I'm sure I've put a rotten orange in. What's wrong with veg? We don't have separate food collection either. It goes in general waste.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +122,174
        We have high council tax, ours is nearly £3500 for a three bed bungalow so that may be the reason we are not charged for weekly collections all year round. Being in the country we all have large gardens so quite a lot of waste - although some only have grass and almost no plants.

There is no restriction on soil on roots and all food waste is accepted, including meat and bones although we always put meat and bones on the lawn for our resident red kite. I have no idea where our waste goes but the nearest council tip (15 mile round trip) sells 'Soil Improver' and the sign emphasises it is not a seed compost.

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +4,199
        That seems utterly bonkers @cactus_girl - surely that's exactly what folk are supposed to put in! Our bin [brown] is for all food and garden waste, but no soil, as said earlier. The reasons given in @gks 's explanation is helpful though, as I always wondered why that was the case.
        However, our council doesn't sell the compost that's made, as far as I know, so I don't know what they do with it. I presume a lot goes to the various displays etc - there's always a lot of summer planting on the large roundabout about a mile away from us, and I suppose some will be used in the various parks etc.
        I tried looking at the website a while ago, but couldn't find anything. Perhaps they sell it onto other outlets though, hence the 'no soil' thing.
        The fact that your council takes bones/meat @shiney shows that they all have different conditions, and a lot of that will be down to where the waste goes, and the eventual distribution. I expect many won't have suitable resources nearby for composting it appropriately etc.

• shiney

Ratings:
        +122,174
        Many years ago it was put forward, can't remember which colour of government, that all recycling should be standardised across the country. I said at the time 'Don't hold you breath'!

• Agree Agree x 2
        • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
          Ratings:
          +4,199
          I know - it should definitely be a standard across the board @shiney, but as you say- unlikely to ever happen! The problem would be getting suitable recycling centres in enough places. It isn't always that easy either.
          A lot of material would have to be transported a very long way, which kind of defeats the purpose....;)

• Agree Agree x 1
          • cactus_girl

cactus_girl Super Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +1,386
            @fairygirl also "used tea bags" and pet bedding are not allowed! I expect the council finds allsorts in the green waste. I never put grass cuttings in as they go so stinky! I leave them on the lawn. The bin men do check and you get a yellow naughty sticker if you put the wrong stuff in.

• Funny Funny x 1
            • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +91,679
              I never knowingly put soil into the bin, I do usually knock off as much as possible from roots but I'm never going to go as far as washing the roots.
              We have a new company taking our waste this year and the collections have been all over the place.
              I think it's settling down now but all types are now on separate days so it's nightmare trying to remember what bin when.

• KT53

KT53 Gardener

Retired and clapped out.
                Ratings:
                +456
                One recent proposal for standardising waste collections would have meant every household having a minimum of 7 bins. Thankfully that idea rapidly disappeared. We currently have 6 - non-recyclable, garden, plastic, paper, glass and food. Bad enough when you have a house with side access but a nightmare for those living in older terraced properties with no front garden. They have no option but to wheel/carry bins through the house every time.

• Informative Informative x 2
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • shiney

Ratings:
                  +122,174
                  That's a nasty situation :sad:.

Our area is different. We have one bin for green waste which includes food, one bag for non food recyclables (includes paper, metal and plastic), a small box for glass and one bin for everything else. So, in effect, only two outside bins. We actually have three green waste bins but we also have room to keep them.

• pete

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +91,679
                    I've got 4 bins, one for recycle, one for non recycle, a garden waste bin(optional) and small food waste bin.
                    I keep the food waste one in the garage the others stay outside.

• Little_Weed

Little_Weed Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                      +29
                      We have 3 bins. 1 for garden waste 1 for anything that can be recycled kerbside and 1 for household. Household collected one week and garden and recycling the next. They will take a "reasonable" amount of recycling that won't fit in the bin if they can see it is recycling. I often collapse any large cardboard boxes and put them out between the bin and my hedge and they have always taken them.

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
                        Ratings:
                        +3,245
                        2 bins here - household one week, recycling the next. Green bin is extra, and collected on a different day to either of the others. Used to be on the same day as the recycling one, but as more and more people got green bins, they couldn't complete both rounds on the same day.

• Agree Agree x 2
                        • pete

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +91,679
                          I'm told that when the new operating company around here took over they bought smaller trucks so that they could get down the roads that are littered with parked cars.
                          Consequentially they have to go and empty it more often.:dunno:

• Like Like x 1