Gardener Wannabe

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HJS86, Sep 18, 2011.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,365
    Be careful if cutting the day lilies down as there may already be some new, green shoots coming through (ours are already showing quite well) and you don't want to cut them down by mistake. The dead stuff should pull off Ok. Any that doesn't pull off easily you can cut right down but make sure you aren't cutting anything green.

Yes, just tie back the photinia and cut off anything that is hiding other plants. It's pretty tough and can take cutting back fairly well. The hebe underneath should recover quite well. Most hebes are quite rewarding as they look good when flowering and OK all the year round.

With your bare patch, I'd be inclined to wait a bit. If there's no plant there at the moment it may, possibly, be because it has died back for the winter but will come up again. Lots of plants do that. Wait until April to see whether anything comes up. If nothing appears you can then, easily, put something nice in there.

ARMANDII's garden is a very good example of cottage gardens. Cram everything in and then you have the different plants flowering most of the year - but it takes lots of planting to get there :blue thumb:. He can probably tell you how many thousand plants he has :heehee:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • HJS86

HJS86 Gardener

Ratings:
      +18
      Hi everyone

Thanks again for your input. When husband gets home from work and can watch little one I'm going to tackle the dead foliage.

I've taken some more photos so you can see what I'm working with.

Pic a - the decking area. You can see the full length of the lawn. Past the fence at the bottom is covered with shale and wood chippings. My tortoise lives here, so this will stay the same most likely.

You can also see our sexy shed haha. I'd really like to paint this bright, like the shed below. Is there any particular time its best to do this, or just when it warms up a little? IMG-20130223-01610.jpg
      DSC_8773.JPG
      Pic B - We're going to put a wendy house here for our little girl, then put lots of potted plants around the decked area. IMG-20130223-01608.jpg
      Pic C - Anyone know what the plant at the bottom is thats looking very sorry for itself? What do I do with it?
      IMG-20130223-01611.jpg

Pic D - The bare area at the top of the garden. I can't remember this being anything other than bare when we moved in over the summer. Ideally I'd like to move the photinia here as I think it looks strange in the middle of the garden like it is currently. If I were brave enough to do this, how far down would I likely have to dig to get it out?
      IMG-20130223-01613.jpg

Thanks everyone :)

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,838
      Not more than 18 inches I would think, HJS:dunno: :snork: . I have two Photina's and I have moved them more than once and they've never rooted very deeply.:coffee:

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,090
      I think the sorry looking thing is a foxglove. It'll pick up when the weather improves, don't worry about it.

Great garden, neat hard landscaping, tidy and with loads of potential.

The shed will look good painted. You can paint it when you like, but it'll be more of a pleasure when the weather's warmer.

Don't be in a rush to move things about - give it a summer to find out exactly what you've got. If you start digging now you might disturb all sorts of things like bulbs that are still sleeping below the soil.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • HJS86

HJS86 Gardener

Ratings:
        +18
        Thanks for your help guys.

Foxglove - looks lovely!

Well the plan was to do the tidying today but my daughter decided otherwise!

Going to try and tackle it tomorrow and move the Photina. There's another empty bit on the left hand side, in nearly the same place on the other side of the lawn. How do I go about splitting the Photina so that two grow? Would be nice for that plant to be at both sides of the gated area.

• HJS86

HJS86 Gardener

Ratings:
        +18
        oh, do I need to take all the leaves off the foxglove, or leave it exactly as it is?

Thanks

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,838
        Well, the Photina is a Shrub, HSJ, so it's not as simple as splitting it. You could take cuttings later in the year and propogate them.........but it would be quicker to buy another Photina:snork:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,838
        Leave the Foxglove as it is, HSJ, as it's a Biennial it should flower this year and also provide you with seeds.:snork:

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +122,365
        Photinias are not too expensive and our local nursery is selling some nice bushy ones about 12" high for less than a fiver. If you can get away without pruning the existing one (if necessary) until late in the year you will benefit from the lovely red new foliage that comes in the spring.

Your paving and decking look good but you can make them look so much better with some pressure hosing. The paving can take some heavy pressure hosing but the decking needs you to be more gentle (hold the nozzle of the pressure hose further from the wood). You can then stain and/or treat the wood. You'd be amazed at what a difference it will make to the look of your garden. :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
        • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,090
          Sadly , I don't think you can split the photinia as it'll be like a little tree with a small trunk or group of trunklets and one set of roots (because it's a shrub, not a perennial this time).
          You could buy another one because they are readily available, but if you shop around you'll probably see another plant that you want to collect instead - gardening's like that!

• Like Like x 1
          • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,668
            Nice as that Photinia looks I think its wrong-plant wrong-place - or the area alongside it needs to be planted to complement it - and problem with that approach is that new Shrubs will take 3+ years to get stature. You can cut back the Photinia during that time, so it will then fit in, but might be better to rethink. IMO Photinia looks better as a specimen in the middle of the lawn, or a whole hedge, rather than just a single plant against a fence. Flog it on eBay as a "dig-it-yourself mature plant" perhaps?

For a new house worth doing nothing, other than maintenance, for 12 months to see what comes up. Take photos from every angle every week or two as a reminder of what is where, and what flowers at the same time as what other plant(s), and what views / eyesores are visible at various times of the years when the trees have/don't have leaves on them and so on. Views from upstairs windows also worth capturing, as is the birds-eye view of the garden itself.

As you get into gardening that photo record will then give you a sense of achievement at the changes you have made and the joy the garden brings you :)

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +3,090
              You could take off the tattiest outer leaves for cosmetic reasons but it won't matter if you don't.

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • HJS86

HJS86 Gardener

Ratings:
                +18
                Hi guys
                Well I had a lovely time in the garden today with hubby and my spade!

We managed to move the Photina really easily - it had a nice easy round stump with a couple of big juicy roots attached. Moved it to the other end of the garden and we're really pleased with the new location. The garden flows much nicer now the big bush isn't smack bang in the middle. IMG-20130224-01621.jpg
                Sorry the pic is blurred, it was freezing!
                I also tieded up all the dead leaves etc and trimmed back the Clematis - tying any lose bits back onto the trelis.
                I moved the trailing plant that was at the top of the garden to the bottom - you can see it to the left of the foxglove. Hope it survives there; I was as careful as could be with the roots.
                Once the Photina had come out, I was able to die up the plant that was struggling beneath it and replant that further back to hopefully flourish now.
                The day lily was easy enough to clear up and there are lots of lovely looking new shoots coming from the ground :)
                IMG-20130224-01622.jpg
                The only boo boo I made was digging up some 'grass' that had started growing in the borders to find bulbs attached to the ends....no idea what these were so put them back! haha

My Dad has a pressure washer so will have to lend it then get blasting! Can't wait for the summer :)

• Like Like x 3
                • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                  +12,668
                  I think that's a big improvement :)

I think the borders are rather narrow, and a bit "straight up and down", plus only some fence panels are covered with climbers. But depends a lot on what you want of course. Personally I'd prefer a border to be stuffed and have some interest rather than just being a collection of "some plants". But depends how much work you want to take on, and how "wow" you want it to look - much easier just to have "some plants" providing some colour through the seasons ...

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • HJS86

HJS86 Gardener

Ratings:
                    +18
                    I want to create a country style garden in the borders, leaving the grass clear for my little girl to play on in the summer.

The shrub type plants that are here currently don't really suit that, but I don't want to dig them up. I might just have a complete mish mash garden with shrubs, climbers, trailing pretty plants etc. So wrong it might look right haha!