Gardeners world... A joke

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Pro Gard, Oct 25, 2008.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    Chris Bearshaw, was he the bloke that spent most of his time in a helicopter?

If so how do you go about getting a job like that, perhaps I dont know the right people, but that would really suit ME.:D

2. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Pal-I`m you my friend. When Geoff died, I was blown away, I haven`t been the same since.

It was he, and he alone that got me out there.

I think my very first post was titled something like-Geoff Hamilton is my hero.

He is the king, always was, always will be.

I loved listening to him on Gardeners question time as a girl, and when I saw him on GW-well that was it for me. Smitten.-Roders, you can keep Alys-Geoff was the guy for me. That`s why I love watching GW on UKTV Gardens.

So much like my Grandad. He didn`t have much time for the Jekyll freaks either.

And if he was alive today, and reading this thread-he`d chuckle at those who have issues with spelling-then dismiss them, like silly little children ought to be.

Gardening is about the mud, and the smells and the pure joy to be gotten from watching these beautiful things grow and develop into beauties that fill your life with joy. Grow up.

3. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,097
    :) I think Alys Fowler should take over.:thumb:

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    It shouldn’t matter who the presenter is, the advice given should be correct.

5. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Isn't any gardening advice/information a matter of opinion!...Location,conditions ,methods all vary...What is good for some may not be for another. :)

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,993
    I really liked Geoffrey Smith (before Geoff Hamilton I think) - he was a really practical sort of guy - full of useful tips and good advice. I think he had to retire through ill health as well - maybe all this gardening isn't good for you :)

7. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    That's the one, another great communicator for gardening.:cool:

Nice job too :D

8. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    I also liked Geoffrey Smith especially when he did a series about alpine and other plants on the radio.Me and Mr Kandy taped them on our old tape recorder but havn't listened to them for years.Roy Lancaster is another knowledgeable chap and he often is found in remote parts of the world searching out new plants etc.

Pete,Chris is good in a wet suit as well and being a bit of a dare devil was best suited to the garden programmes where he would fly off in the helicopter,absail down cliff walls to search out plants or swim under the water to tell us all about aquatic plants,plus he is handsome to boot a big plus factor for us ladies:thmb:

9. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I quite like GW its simple enough for me to understand and keep up but as Pro has said they should give correct advice.

As for the spelling it don't matter as long as people can read it.

10. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    "Pete,Chris is good in a wet suit as well and being a bit of a dare devil was best suited to the garden programmes where he would fly off in the helicopter,absail down cliff walls to search out plants or swim under the water to tell us all about aquatic plants,plus he is handsome to boot a big plus factor for us ladies:thmb:"

Would it help if I bough a wetsuit?:lollol:

11. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    You can always try:thmb::lollol:

12. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    I had a Laural hedge and cut it with shears with no damage to the leaves,and the blasted hedge grew so big that I took great pleasure in grubbing the whole lot out! I think that Laurel is not for the smaller gardens:)

13. Brian Simpson

Brian Simpson Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This GW debate is an interesting one - being somewhat new to gardening I'm seeking out a wide range of sources of both information and inspiration.

GW is patchy in both regards. There is usually something in an episode that I think - ooh I'd like to try that - and something that I didn't know. However I found the "Grow Your Own Veg" by Carol scored much higher on all fronts - more inspiration and more instruction.

If I were the BBC I'd commission a 30 minute show for every week of the year by Carol - what to do in the veg garden this week - and how to do it. I reckon it'd be a success for BBC2. What do you all think?

You'd film it at the weekend and show at the end of the week giving you time to edit it etc.

Brian

14. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Brian-I too love Carol`s manner. She is so gushing about plants I can`t help but feel her enthusiasm. The grow your own series, and The Victorian Kitchen Garden series ( I love this one), have given me the confidence to grow my own grub.

15. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,993
    I think that GW is now aimed at the middle of the road people who have more time on their hands - maybe retired folk - rather than out and out beginners and certainly not professional gardeners like Pro Gard. I miss all those money saving and time saving tips that Geoff Hamilton had, I also miss Bob Flowerdew and his mad contraptions. I like Carol Klein but her enthusiam seems a little too forced sometimes, she can't like everything in the garden so much :)