Gardeners World

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Steve R, Mar 11, 2011.

1. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Self Employed Landscape Gardener
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well well well, hasn't Mr Don got some lovely balls (buxus sempervirens of course)... and why did he not hope that I enjoy my garden, whatever the weather??? selfish man.

:heehee:

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Well, I watched it tonight and came away with mixed feelings. There was a lot of walking around gardens and a lot of attempts at motivational/inspirational talk, but it didn't motivate or inspire me. Since this is the very first series I would have thought it would have been new material, but I was disappointed to see Carol Klein walking around Angelsey Abbey gardens which was an old piece from a previous program. Was that Monty's decision or the BBC producers? - either way it had a negative effect on the program for me.

There was very little substance in the program really. I didn't see any real practical hints or tips to make me say "oh, yes that's a good idea!". There wasn't any real focus on what's relevant right now in any particular area, more like a glossing/fleeting moment over something.

I really do like Monty, Carol and Joe, but I'm not sure if they're "powerful" enough to blend together - or the program is too short to get things running smoothly and too much is being packed into too little time. Maybe next week will be better!

3. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Agreed. An hour would be much better, and not feel so rushed.

I also agree with the mixed feelings. Where I liked the little practical advice on veg sowing/planting, I wasnt really impressed with the 'help out a gardener' part, where joe and racheal were giving the lady a hand in her garden.

I didnt know that Carol's part was a repeat from a previous series, however, now I know, it's a little bit cheap of the BBC, especially considering that they are meant to have made 'imrovements'.

Will see what happens next week.

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Haven't watched it yet, but sounds just like the old format (rather than the last series), which I had stopped watching ...

5. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,838
    That's another thing that was "bothering" me, Luke. You mentioned the "help out a gardener" part and when I was watching that I didn't really get the impression that they were helping to any real degree with advice or labour. It was more like a polite visit to someone's garden rather than a practical offer of help. I didn't gain anything of substance out of the visit and I don't think the owner did either!!:mad:

6. Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    I really didn't see what was so bad about the last series. I quite enjoyed it to be honest. When it was first revamped it was horrible I will agree but I felt it eventually found its way.

I loved Toby (but not alys) and don't think they should have been given the boot because of the programs failings. I liked the way Toby didn't bombard the viewer with latin names and explained things simply. I feel (and this is my opinion) with the return of Monty Dom and Rachel De Thame gardeners world will return to the snobby elitism the show use to be, cutting off viewers like myself onto a island of bewilderment.

I haven't watched the show yet but will do tomorrow morning.

7. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,838
    I think that's one of the problems a Gardening Program is facing, amongst others, i.e. we've all got different ideas as to what we want out of it. The choice of presenters is another factor that muddies the waters! I really haven't any real preference in the present generation of presenters because I don't think any of them has the strength of personality or presence to shine above the others as previous presenters have.

But the "argument" about the presenters fogs the issue! We need longer and more gardening programs with control of presentation being given to the presenters and not the producers. If we get that I don't care if Kermit the Frog is going to show me how to dig the veg garden or prune the roses!!

8. Chopper

Chopper Do I really look like a people person?

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112
    I watched tonights episode. Good to see Monty back on his feet. When I watched the show before I liked his part of the show and the way he did things. Interesting to see his bit about sowing beetroot seed and how he starts shallots. The part about splitting Snowdrops was usefull. My opinion is that there was not enough time given to him to tell us about his garden and how he does things. He started that garden from scratch and I for one would like to know more about the history of it.

The part of the show about helping a gardener was in my opinion wasted. Nothing about really basic stuff. A lot of the show was based on viewers knowing a lot to start with. I will watch the next episode and see if things improve.

Chopper.

9. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    WeLL SAID:loll:
    Plus messing about in the pond with all the frogs spawn (not good)

Much prefer the Scotish Beechgrove thats been going in the same garden for 25 years should be back on soon just as well I have sky so I can get BBC1 Scotland

Spruce

10. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Oh well, my worst fears realised :( No unusual / useful tips.

Chopper: I'm not so sure about a module-tray of beetroot. I think a module for 2 or 3 plants is too small (but Monty knows better than me), and I certainly wouldn't want to plant a whole module (50 cells??) with 2 or 3 seeds each - unless you have time to pickle them!

I grow mine with 3 or 4 plants in 3" pots - I plant out and then when big enough I pull all bar one as thinnings, and let the larger one grow on. I start off about 10 - 20 a month, which is about what we get through.

I reckon that the 3" pots suffer less transplant shock than modules will do - just pushing the things out of the modules severely disrupts the plant, and in my book Beetroot are in the "roots" category in terms of aversion to transplant-shock

And Monty wrote BoltHardy on the label, and pronounced it like that. Mind you, I thought that was its correct name until a year or so back ...

11. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I may be wrong, but I think Monty and his family live off of his home grown produce. If this is the case, then 50 cells+ would be a good idea, however, I agree it would be too much for the vast majority of viewers, and this was very poorly portrayed.

12. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    We live off our produce too ... couldn't use that many though (unlss we preserved them). Not sure how long they are harvestable from first to last - perhaps 3 weeks, maybe 4 weeks? 50 x 3 per cell = 150 beetroot to be eaten, or preserved, in a month ... that's where my thinking was anyway :)

I just think people will, not unreasonably, blindly-follow and it needs some additional explanation of the quantities that would be sensible.

Perhaps I won;t grow any at all this year - I predict a Beetroot glut and will be able to help my neighbours out by eating theirs for them :D

13. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Ah, yes, that would be quite a few to get through! :heehee: Maybe he makes his own borscht :WINK1:

14. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,838
    If there is one vegetable I can't stand it is Beetroot!:mad: I'll have to blame school dinners, I guess, but I just can't see the attraction of them. Yuk!! Kristen is right, there will be some gardeners who will blindly follow Monty's example and sow tons too many. But most gardeners who are experienced and confident will use their "grey matter" and just sow what they need.

15. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Indeed ARMANDII, but to do that requires knowledge of how long the crop will "stand". Cauli's are all over and done in a fortnight, so I don't sow more than we can eat in two weeks.

Sprouts, Parsnips, Leeks etc "stand" all Winter, so a different formulae applies :)

I reckon the presentation style of the last series would have mentioned things like this ... but this series is more of an entertainment show (as it was previously with Monty IMHO). Nothing wrong with that, but its not really of great interest to me in that format.