Gardeners World

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Steve R, Mar 11, 2011.

1. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,094
    :) Some of you guys are realy so hard to please :
    I thought it was a well rounded gardening programme,Monty gave us a brief walk round his interesting garden as you would expect for a first programme,looks like lots of potentially interesting options to me.
    A half hour programme like this has limitations,but it can never be all things to all people........even me..No Alys:WINK1:
    It,s nice to have our Friday nights back......Well done the BBC.

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rodders,

:D You are right, we've come to expect Gardeners World to live up to the high standards of Gardeners Corner.

We forget that it is aimed at the general gardening public & not an open university degree level program.

I watch now and again, but its never been the same for me since Jolly Geoff died.

3. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Actually, Roders, I'm not hard to please!:heehee: The program is too short and they were trying to fit too much into it. It covered too many subjects to thinly - and to add insult to injury when you'd have thought that in such a short new program they'd have put in new content - but no, they regurgitate an excerpt from an old Carol Klein program of her visiting Anglesey Abbey gardens. If you're kicking off a highly trumpeted, much publicized gardening program with a much vaunted set of presenters would you really stick old material in it!:scratch:

As you say, Roders, you can't please all the people all of the time, and you can't please all of the people some of the time, but you would give some thought as to how to please some of them some of the time! The content was too thin, the general tips were too few, the piece about "helping out a gardener" was an obvious act and didn't benefit the program presentationl, us or the gardener and the program is too short to make anything meaningful out of it. But, apart from that, I thought it was fine!!!!!:D:cry3::rofl:

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Yes, didn't intend my comments to come across that way - focusing on what was missing rather than what was there ...

but ...

I'm with ARMANDII on the content being too thin and superficial to be much use to Newbies and Regulars alike

5. diana61

diana61 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    How good is that? :thumbsup: The good old days are back :) (I personally prefer AT but MD is second best).

6. EddieJ

EddieJ gardener & Sculptor

Oak timber framer
    Ratings:
    +1,089
    I've just sat and watched the first episode, and have to say how disappointing Monty's garden is. Take away all of the hedging and what would be left, nothing! Lime trees aside, it is hardly an inspirational, creative or fun garden, and if the series is going to be based around that, then there isn't much hope.:scratch:

I liked Anglesey Abbey though, some very nice and well thought out aspects to that garden.:)

7. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Self Employed Landscape Gardener
    Ratings:
    +5
    Like I said from the start...

8. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Plantsman's garden, rather than a garden for non-plantsmen / apprentice-plantsmen to enjoy, I would say.

Getting perspective and proportion right is more important, for the lay-visitor, than the collection of plants it contains.

9. EddieJ

EddieJ gardener & Sculptor

Oak timber framer
    Ratings:
    +1,089
    That's an interesting perspective that I hadn't considered. Thanks.:)

10. Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    I'm suprised to say I enjoyed it.

11. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,094
    It was good to see Monty's garden looks drab in the Winter the same as mine,quite normal I would say, did you notice Carol Klien's garden was even draber in Winter the other week.

What short sighted negative views some of you self styled experts have ....:WINK1:

12. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I think you are missing my point (but all opinions are welcome).

For a show about other gardens it was fine. That's what it used to be before the last series. It might tempt me to visit a particular garden, but I don't find it "entertaining" (others clearly do) and I certainly don't find it inspirational - visiting the gardens themselves would do that for me, and indeed we do visit several gardens each year with that objective.

What I would like, and what I got from the last series, was "instruction", which I really enjoyed. I don't see myself as a "self styled expert" but I have been gardening for a long time, and I read several gardening forums. I was pleasantly surprised how much I learnt from the last series as measured by the number of notes I took with Hints and Tips, and the amount of REWIND I used whilst watching it.

Now if the Beeb wants to produce an entertainment gardening programme that's fine, but I'm disappointed they don't want to provide an instructional programme (but hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised in future episodes)

13. Poolcue

Poolcue Gardener

Ratings:
    +67
    I am just glad that GW is back on our screens.However it will always be a jack of all trades and a master of none.

14. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,664
    Hi everyone I enjoyed this gardening programme as it is one of a few that is still left for us to watch,and if I learn something new,which I did then yours truly is happy and it was good to see Monty back on his feet:dbgrtmb::)

15. Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
    +225
    When I saw that Monty was back I let out a huge sigh of relief. He has such an easy manner, he's knowledgeable and ful of enthusiasm and... he has charisma!:heehee:

Nobody's garden is going to look great at this time of year but the still pictures showed what treats we have in store.

We're just about to move to a new house, the garden slopes at 30 degrees and is near the sea, but we will have a greenhouse:dbgrtmb:, so I'll be watching with interest for tips.