Gardeners World

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Steve R, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Yes, and he did say to maintain planting depth, and aggregate to small clumps rather than singles, which was good advice.

I, personally, don't have a view on the presenters. its like teachers at school - the good ones kept my attention, made the subject interesting, and captivated me. But even some of those that I liked / thought highly off didn't gel with some of my contemporaries

Used to T me off when my Mother would pontificate about what a newsreader was wearing ... it wasn't why I thought we were watching the news!

2. diana61

diana61 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with you but I love Carol Klein and want her to make some more programs of her own.:thumbsup:

3. Spotlandman

Spotlandman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll give it chance before I say any more.

4. kevinm

kevinm Gardener

Ratings:
    +387
    It seems that the strategy behind the format of the past couple of seasons of GW was to appeal to a younger and less experienced gardener. Nothing wrong with that - until you set it against the fact that the programme is allocated a measly 30 minutes per week (which is strange, when compared to the endless hours of cookery and ballroom dancing). Within that time constraint - an ether/or situation arises - and the producers seemed quite prepared to risk alienating its core audience of more experienced gardeners. Therefore it should have come as no surprise to them that people started switching off in droves. The present line-up seems to be aimed at reclaiming the audience it already had before the experiment.

In the broadcasting business in general, it is as predictable as the seasons, that periodically some twonk will arrive at an executive level who is convinced that the programme -or even the station itself -would do much better if it 'appealed to a younger audience' - a phrase guaranteed to strike terror into the hearts of competent and long-established presenters. There then follows a period of carnage, blood-letting, hiring, firing and fractured careers. In very few instances it actually works but more often than not - within a couple of years - everything is more or less as it was before - and all the grief has achieved precisely NOTHING.

5. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    :cry3: For some reason I had got it into my head that it started this week. Damn it

I'll watch it on iplayer.

Bit of a shame that it has been given mixed reviews. I'll watch it and see what I think, although it'll take more than the first episode to get in its stride. I presume there's a bit of scene setting going on, like the first one from greenacre and all the others.

I have so enjoyed Carol's series. I feel all emotional when she describes in her earthy, poetic way, her feelings about her surroundings. Enthusiasm and an appreciation of life's simple pleasures are so thin on the ground these days, and somewhat out of vogue.

I hope Monty's calm and contended ways weave their magic and spread enthusiasm for a life with little need for bells and whistles.

6. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Self Employed Landscape Gardener
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes, this is true, and after the 'introduction', there may be more time to spend on substantial content. Perhaps 1 show is a little too early to make a solid decision.

:dbgrtmb:[hr]
    Bet you didnt anticipate starting such a heated debate, when merely informing people that Gardeners World was back on the box, eh Steve :WINK1:

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I'm an older, and more experienced, gardener ... and preferred the previous series ...

Are there people here who did not like the previous series? (I'm just curious to know)

Perhaps we need a Vegetable Gardeners World and a Non-Vegetable Gardeners World

8. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    The nations favourite past-time deserves more programming devoted to it. Then we wouldn't all expect to be satisfied in one half hour slot.

I just worry that if we all complain so eagerly we'll be left with nothing.

I know we all chat about our views on different subjects on here. And long may that continue. I just think sometimes those who disapprove seem to be in the majority, no matter what the subject. Almost like a little wave of opinion. Maybe that is because people are more likely to post agreement to a post than disagree, but it still has the same effect.

As I remember last years thread about the old format had a heavier weight of negatives than positives.

I respect everyone's opinions, but maybe the negative comments about the new show should be built on more evidence than the very first episode. I want to give it a chance, because I've loved gardeners world on a friday night since I was a kid. I was so glad that Monty was back.

9. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
    Ratings:
    +13
    I stopped watching the previous series as it was a total joke, infantile more like.

After Joe the Blokes antics in his allotment, and not taking advice when offered,(that,s how most gardeners learn) I had had enough!

Carol and Alys are fine in small doses, very small, and have they never heard of gardening gloves, dirty finger nails and all!

Cheers!

10. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Theres plenty of that but we need some more gardening programs too.

11. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Ziggy, Oh Ziggy, what are you like??!!:loll::heehee::rofl:

12. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    :rofl: Too true!

13. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    And how does everyone feel now after the second show?

Personally, I think it was a whole lot better. Still half an hour too short, but content was much improved.

<< Discuss >>

Steve...:)

14. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    I love it.

I enjoyed the first but thought it was more of an introductory program.

I really am thrilled that it is regaining its 'class'

15. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    I missed the second show, but not out of choice!:cry3: Do they repeat it at all? As you say. Steve, half an hour is too short.