Gardeners World

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Steve R, Mar 11, 2011.

1. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    Too precious for words. :heehee:

2. bluequin

bluequin Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I'm finding that I like Monty Don a lot more this time round - I actually stopped watching during his first turn at the helm.

The one I miss is Chris Beardshaw - I'd like to see him back in some capacity

3. RachelN76

RachelN76 Gardener

Midwife
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yeah, Monty leaves me cold. I've tried to like him, I really have, but he just ends up really irritating me.

I still watch it, but mainly for Carole and Joe.

4. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    There are some likes and dislikes of presenters which I think sometimes gets in the way of the enjoyment of the people watching the program for one reason and one reason only - gardening!:rolleyespink:
    I agree it helps it the Presenter is good at what they do, same as it's a boon if the Teacher can make a lesson really interesting for the pupils, but I don't think anyone can say that any of the Presenters mentioned are really bad at it:DOH: We seem to blunt the main complaint about the program i.e: there's only half and hour a week of it!:mad:, with our personal dislikes of a Presenter - which is slightly irrelevant and, dare I say, a bit petty:what: The next stage will be to criticize what they're wearing, mmmmm that blue clashes with the yellow:gaagh:
    I've criticized the program in the past but only in the fact that a: it's not long or frequent enough and b: The Presenters in the past. except for Geoff Hamilton and Allan Titchmarsh. haven't been given control of the program to present it in the way they wanted. Consequently, the program went down the drain because of the "trendy" policies of the BBC Controllers.:cry3:

From Monty Don to Carol Klein - I don't care, so long as we get more of it.:thumbsup:, as I think, disregarding who's presenting it, the content is getting better and I am enjoying it more than I thought.:D

And I agree - Christine Walker is up there with the rest of the Presenters, not as stylish, not as cosmetically up to the standards of the others if truth be told, but she is a proper gardener who manages to make you smile and get enthused about what she loves - gardening:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    • alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
      Ratings:
      +2,620
      An hour long programme Gardener's World this Friday, followed by Italian Gardens. Bring it on :happydance:

• kevinm

kevinm Gardener

Ratings:
      +387
      Half an hour a week of gardening seems odd to me given the popularity of gardening.
      However, every time I switch on the telly - someone seems to be cooking something.

• gerkin50

gerkin50 Gardener

Ratings:
      +2
      bring back bob flowerdew

• Harrowed Turf

Harrowed Turf Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      I moved out to New Zealand about 6 years ago. Here we're still getting Toby and crew on the Living Channel...grrrr. Only a year behind. And what's more, we can't watch the shows on the beeb's webstite. Are there any DVD's of recent series? Can't find any on Amazon, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

• alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
      Ratings:
      +2,620
      I don't think they have the series on DVD - I would love to get a DVD of Geoffrey Smith's World of Flowers - he was the guy who inspired me to get into gardening. Sadly missed.

• Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
      Ratings:
      +13

It certainly is an improvement on the last series, though I am fed up with box hedges already!

Have been watching Beechgrove, the only problem is they are about four weeks behind Gloucester in growing time though that is 350 miles further north, what stage of the growing season is 350 miles further south from here at?

Somewhere in France????

• cathyland

cathyland Gardener

Ratings:
      +10
      I like BBC Gardener world so much ,:thumbsup: even though i am not totally understand all the latin terms:what:( i am not English)

so sad i live in France and i couldnt watch it on BBC website:mad:. I like Monty and Carol very much .

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
    • Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
      +437
      Cathy, you could look into 'ways of watching BBC Iplayer'. A British IP address might help.

• cathyland

cathyland Gardener

Ratings:
      +10
      I went to amazon uk looking for the DVD of gardener s world but i couldnt find any of it. Personally i would prefer keep all the GW in my computers so i can watch anytime i need and want. I already have the collection of 2005 and 2006. :Dlearn a lot from it:yess:
      I like Alan Titchmarshs too, very funny way of presenting.

• alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
      Ratings:
      +2,620
      I watched Gardener's World last night and was so envious of the rain Monty was getting in his garden. It's so dry here on the East coast - we haven't had any significant rain for two months and the garden is sooo dry.

Monty, in his unimitable way, gave me some good ideas for cheap supports and his no nonsense approach to gardening is refreshing to watch after so much quick fix and pretension in other programmes.

However I'm certainly not into the straight lines that he has in his own garden. My little patch of heaven is curvy and although it drives the grass cutter mad I wouldn't have it any other way.