1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Gardening business...start up advice.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Newbienoidea, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    I've an old Direct Line insurance I've used from almost the start that covers my needs but the small print limits some claims and tool use restrictions but it's perfect for my needs.
    As a note unless you are trained in use of pesticides insurance will not cover for weed killer damage and to be honest if you are trained you will not be making mistakes.
    What I've done is I've a list of companies I use if a client wants work that's out of my skill set so for example tree work or hard landscape work.
    There are laws involved like use of pesticides and waste but one thing to think about is Vibration from tools. I suffer from HAVS so I've had to limit exposure and use tools that's have a much lower rating for some jobs so for example large brush cutting jobs I use a big old cow horn Stihl brush cutter instead of a basic loop handle version. Unfortunately the damage is done hence why I'm winding down on some work like long hours on hedge cutting.
    Hand arm vibration - Worried about your hands?
    I can't really advise on what you charge, we are all a little bit different and locations make a difference too so you need to work out your costs but I work mowing out at around £2 a min for myself and you soon get to know how long jobs take taking into consideration weather and the location.
    You may wish to charge per cut or if the customer agrees charge for a set amount so if the weathers bad they still pay even if the lawn is not cut but that tends to be more commercial or estate work.
    I've always stuck to just me, that's how I work and I'm a fussy git to be honest. You may wish to expand at some point or you may wish to stick to being a one man band.
    You will need advise on Pensions if you are young as you need to plan ahead and bits and bobs.
    There's some draw backs like illness and injuries so you need to take care of your self.
    Just find your feet to start with, you can't get to grips with it all at once.
    I've never needed to form a Ltd company, that's how I work and lets be honest you make a mess you need to cover the costs and not hide behind it as it takes time to get a good name.
    You will make mistakes, I did and I'm sure everyone does but you learn.
    There are also some trade only forums which are useful where you can chat and learn from others.
    The only other advice is that all jobs should have a written contract including the clients right to cancel. Covers you and the client and good book keeping.

2. Newbienoidea

Newbienoidea Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    Thankyou.
    What do you say is good book keeping? At the moment I have all my invoices in a folder, numbered, dated etc, with written how the money was paid and a receipt of each money in, when I go to the bank to cash in the money. I also have kept all my receipts that relate to anyhting I've bought for work etc.

Currently waiting for my mower to arrive, business cards on order, leaflets designed and even made a work shirt with my name and number on Just insurance to sort now and then hopefully I can get started with a couple.

Thanks.

3. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,544
    Find a special area, that no one does, be an expert about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Liz the pot

Ratings:
      +1,259
      I keep everything all in different files as well as on my account package.
      it's like your life's history, from bank statements to phone bills. As long as you keep everything in order it's easy work.
      Just means it's easy to do your end of year accounts and easy of the tax man ever wants to see what's going on and it's good practise. Some people hate doing it while others don't mind.
      All my digital stuff is kept backed up just in case and as I use Apple I've taken advantage of their Time Capsule which keeps a nice safe backup.
      I like Accountz which is what I use but I've not yet changed over to their online services but I use to use the old way of having all my stuff on Word which was a pain but with Accountz it's done and dusted each year.
      Very simple to use and you can see what's going on with expenses and income and it allows me to produce good invoices and statements at a touch of a button.
      Accounting Software | Bookkeeping Software | Accountz

There's lots of various account packages out there and I've just stuck to this one as I know it now.

• Newbienoidea

Newbienoidea Gardener

Ratings:
      +21
      great, thankyou.

Been offered a little van for 300 today, needs a bit of work but insurance is more expensive than the van

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
      +1,259
      How about a small trailer and fit a tow bar to your car, I've seen that done a fair bit if your cars capable.
      Don't rush into stuff, it's easy to spend money and find you are continuously sinking money into it and ending up losing money.

• Newbienoidea

Newbienoidea Gardener

Ratings:
      +21
      Yes been looking at trailers, that's the way to go I think. Will be using my boot for now though.
      Can someone please confirm that I don't need a 'card or a licence' to use a petrol mower? What about hedge cutters or strimmers?
      I realise to carry waste I need a waste licence which someone said green waste is free? Most of it I plan to use the green bins.
      I'm starting off very basic, I'm getting leaflets made up to look a bit more professional as my design skills aren't to great

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
      +1,259
      For domestic lawn cutting you don't need anything other than you and the mower. Same applies to hedge cutting and using a brush cutter.
      You want a good edging shear as well as you don't risk taking out a window or two with the brush cutter and I've seen that a few times.
      You may want a ramp or one piece wood that helps to get the mower in and out, be careful lifting it.
      You will need a blower as well to help tidy up which is a handy bit of kit.
      Safety boot, gloves, face protection, petrol can, petrol/oil mix can for 2 stroke stuff and ear defenders and that's that's the basic kit required to get going.
      Do you have a Stihl dealership near you?
      Get to know them if you do, there are other makes but I tend to use a far bit of Stihl stuff and it's fine. All their 2 stoke stuff is the same mixture so it's easy when your tool list grows. A good dealer is worth their weight in gold for advice and getting some good prices.
      It's going to be a little bit hard to start with as the Autum is fast approaching so plan your leaflet drop so that it coincides with the start of next season. Don't deliver to early as people tend to forget as the lawns grind to a halt.
      If you do deliver any leaflets now make sure it includes leaf clearing, it's one job people hate.

• Newbienoidea

Newbienoidea Gardener

Ratings:
      +21
      Thankyou so much for your advice, you've been a great help!
      I'm planning to leaflet drop next week, I've put on my leaflets,
      Grass cutting
      Leaf clearing
      Weeding
      General tidying

Basic stuff but things I can do without spending a fortune on equipment.

• Like Like x 1
      • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Some really good advice from @Liz the pot. I ran my own business (nothing to do with gardening) for many years and have a huge garden currently so just to add my pennyworth. Definitely worth going down the route of buying quality tools. Waste of money and more importantly your time with cheap tools which break down. Most of my tools are petrol driven Stihl/Husqvarna and they all perform really well and get used a lot . I have a hedge trimmer, chain saw, strimmer, and blower. I cannot recommend a mower for you as my 1 is a sit on which wouldn't suit you . Re blowers I would recommend you don't bother with a bag attachment, they can make the blower quite heavy to use when getting full and often get blocked. Our current blower came with a bag but we never use it. I would however strongly recommend you have a blower as it makes a really neat job of cleaning up driveways etc, well unless it's gravel:). If you have not used 1 before I would get 1 asap and practise with it as it takes a while to get the hang of using it well. We have mountains of leaves every Autumn and it helps greatly in clearing them. The other tool I would invest in is actually made for the equestrian market (we've had horse for about 30 years). It is IMO the best gardening tidying aid there is, but you have to get the right brand! The below makes it so much easier to collect up all sorts of stuff and because of the long handle it lessens the bending. You will be a lot younger than me but even in my youth it is some physical effort to muck out say 6 stables so you need strong well made tools which aid the hard work.
        1 of these should last you for 10 years at least. I have 1 which is 12 years old and used pretty much daily. The rake will break eventually but just get another 1 from the likes of Aldi, it's the scoop which is the important bit of equipment. using this to clear up the piles of leaves is way quicker than the bag on a blower.
        I agree buy the tools as needed when you can gauge the response to you leaflet drop. I am only suggesting the blower and scoop as leaves will be dropping SOON!
        Another idea re advertising would be Gumtree if you haven't thought of that.
        I was completely flabbergasted at the response I got to placing an advertisment on Gumtree offering plants for sale in March of this year. I must have had at least 150 responses and had well over 50 people come here to buy plants I was selling for charity. There are obviously many with interests in gardening that look on Gumtree. That said I did advertise on it before in October of last year and got a very small response as people weren't thinking of gardens at that time of year so you may find the same. It may also be the case with your leaflet drop that you'd get a bigger response in the Spring. Don't be put off try again next early Spring if the 1st 1 doesn't produce much.
        I think you are absolutely right to start in a small way and make yourself a good reputation by not trying to run before you can walk. Getting a good reputation is hard work, getting a bad 1 is easy! As I'm sure you know £1000s of money spent advertising is not nearly as effective as word of mouth[​IMG]www.equinespeedskip.com/home.html

• Like Like x 2
          Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
        • Liz the pot

Ratings:
          +1,259
          I'm sure you will get some work.
          One tip with leaf clearing is to get some old tonne bags. I blow or rake the leaf mess into a pile then with the bag I open it up and stand with my feet apart on the corners of the bag that faces the pile and my old head holds up the bag then I rake the leaf pile in between my legs straight into the bag and it's job done. You can clear a huge pile in under a min and then a quick tidy up and away you go.
          You will pick up all the quick ways of doing jobs which means you can then proceed to the next job.

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
          +8,083
          I had to laugh @Liz the pot, guess what I empty the pooper scooper full of leaves into? yup a huge builders bag which I acquired a few years back. This is then dragged to where I store leaves to make leaf mould.

• Like Like x 1
          • glasgowdan

glasgowdan Gardener

Ratings:
            +120
            Good luck, and try not to get bogged down in legalities right now... car insurance etc. Just get customers! Print leaflets and deliver them to all types of houses, especially family homes. Best rates £/minute can come from ex council houses.

I started in 2009 from the back of my car. I grew and expanded, gained a lot of bigger jobs, including 5 figure contracts, but since my two kids arrived I have quit all of that and am now down to 3 days a week, mainly domestic. I make a good living, enough to get by, put cash back into the business AND save, off just that 3 days a week 9.5 months a year.

Few key points from my experience - you will find it scary at first. It took me a year to finally feel comfortable that I wasn't going to be short of work. Lying awake at night worrying etc.
            Be confident in your pricing and don't drop prices simply because someone asks.
            Try to price fixed price work. Don't say £15/hr, say £15 per CUT. This allows you to work more efficiently, cut a lawn in 30 mins and move on and make much more money. Same applies for general garden tidy jobs. £x per visit, which includes lawn cut, hedges trimmed where required, borders kept tidy etc.
            Be reliable. I turn up every fortnight on the same day to my customer's gardens, NO MATTER the weather (unless there's literally snow lying deep on the gardens).
            Offer extras. Customers are happy to part with cash, don't forget that. They'll appreciate you telling them something needs done, be it some replacement plants, mulch for the borders or hiring a pressure washer to do their paths.
            Get a good blower. I use a BR600. It's the most important tool in my van. I can easily strim a lawn as fast as I can mow it, if needed. I can get by without a strimmer for a visit or two. But I couldn't be without the blower. It gives the gardens that totally clean appearance. Blow everything onto the lawns where you can easily mow/rake it all up, and you're left with spick and span borders, paths, pebbles.
            Try a proper lawn rake like a chelwood 32p. Also an oscillating hoe. Real time-savers. Don't be afraid to cut back roses with a hedge trimmer - they love this treatment!
            See what tools your local repair shop fixes. Tanaka and Echo are superb. Stihl are ok.

Typical site visit doing general maintenance goes a bit like this: Strim all lawns. Observe what else needs done when doing this. Prune and trim plants/hedges. Hand weed if needed. Rake up trimmings and bulk of leaves. Use blower to blow all the grass cuttings and remaining hedge cuttings/leaves etc into the lawns. Mow the lawns. Blow any dropped bits of grass from the mower away from paths. Hoe any borders. Spray any weeds that are not hand weeded or hoe-d. Move on to the next job. Email invoice at night for direct bank payment.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
          • Newbienoidea

Newbienoidea Gardener

Ratings:
            +21
            Thankyou! I suspect it will be a steep learning curve. Thanks for the advice on the pricing, it's difficult to know what to charge at first. I have been asked to have a look at a job to cut a holly hedge and cut the lawns. The lawns at the moment I can deal with however my big concern is the waste from the hedge. Only having a car makes it difficult but I don't want to turn down the work, I feel if I can do this job it might become a regular client. And pricing I'm not sure on. Obviously I need to go and have a look but from what I can gather it's a large hedge that runs along the boundary.

Also, is that how you do most of your invoices? Do the work them email them an invoice and obviously a copy for yourself then make a note when payment was made.

Many thanks.

• Newbienoidea

Newbienoidea Gardener

Ratings:
            +21
            Viewing my first job tomorow, looking on google maps they have a lot of conifer bushes and a large conifer boundary hedge. Small lawns which aren't a problem just the hedges I'm concerned with. Pricing is something I'm struggling with, I know I'm going to have to invest in hedge trimmers...I have electric but not petrol. Don't know exactly what they want until I go, they just said a generals tidy so it looks reasonable.