1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Gardening business...start up advice.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Newbienoidea, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    Quiet times are good. Make the most of them. You need a little respite now and then. Working for myself I get more jobs done at home than I did when I was employed. I love it.

G.

• Like Like x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Good luck newbienoidea.
      Just be confident, relaxed and pleasant. Be straight with the client about what needs doing; take on board what he/she wants but dont be afraid to give your advice.
      Pricing? Be aware of your worth and do not be uneasy about your charges if you know they are fair. Allow too for your travel time between clients and stick to your times. Read about plants, research what does well in different conditions, understand fully pruning systems and enjoy your work. Word will soon spread and work will flood in :)
      Let us know how you get on:)

• Like Like x 1
      • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,259
        It will pick up next year, you might have to leaflet drop again as people are not thinking the same way over their gardens now.
        I love the winter period, gives me time to rest my old body and have a break in Cornwall which I’m kindly treated too.
        Good to hear you turned down a job, it’s really hard doing so when you start up as you want to tackle every thing but knowing your limits and how the customer comes across is all part of the work.

• Verdun

Ratings:
        +17,487
        You are most welcome here Liz....Cornwall a little damp this morning but a walk along any of our beaches will refresh you for sure :)

• Like Like x 1
        • Newbienoidea

Newbienoidea Gardener

Ratings:
          +21
          Thanks all! Enjoy your holiday Liz :)
          More leaflets dropped today, making the most of my time off sorting out my race car amongst other things...it's nice to have a bit of time off for sure, just feel I should be doing some work haha!

• Like Like x 1
          • Liz the pot

Ratings:
            +1,259
            Thanks, we tried Mullion Cove a few times but the last few trips have been to Porth and we found a dog friendly place just across from the beach.
            There’s also a lovely cafe/restaurant not far from it and we love our trips there, the foods great.
            I find people are much more laid back and friendly, it’s refreshing then I have to return home.

• Newbienoidea

Newbienoidea Gardener

Ratings:
            +21
            Hello,
            Quick update! Still plodding along, I've done a few more with yesterday being my busiest day.....just wish everyday was as busy! Gone quiet again now, which is fine and to be expected for the time of year. I've got a few regulars now, lost one it seems but that's the name of the game I suppose. One thing I have noticed is word of mouth is the best way to get work! Nearly all my jobs have been this way, through friends of friends or neighbours of family etc.
            Looking at getting some new tools over the winter....thinking the prices may drop over the winter so will be the best time to invest!
            Thanks,p.

• Like Like x 2
            • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +31,885
              Glad you to hear that you are having successes and building a regular clientele. Can't beat personal recommendation :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Verdun

Ratings:
                +17,487
                Brilliant newbienoidea :)
                I did landscaping and gardening for a couple of years a while back and, yes, word of mouth was the very best way to get work. Had more work than I could handle :)
                Having good quality tools is important. Acquiring as much knowledge too about plants, pruning and garden layout will give you a lot of confidence too :)

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
                +1,259
                Thanks for the update. Word and mouth is great, you soon build up a little list of regulars who over time will appricate your hard work.

• Agree Agree x 1
                • Newbienoidea

Newbienoidea Gardener

Ratings:
                  +21
                  Thanks for the comments.
                  I'm pretty pleased with the way it's started considering the time of year. I don't expect much over winter, but as I haven't had real time off from working for about 6 years I'm thinking that might not be such a bad thing! It certainly feels a lot better being my 'own boss' and extremely satisfying when a job is complete.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +8,491
                    Well done Newbienoidea :) . I been going out gardening with my father seen I can remember with my plastic lawnmower and upgraded to a petrol mow when I got older, I been doing it since I left school. Like many people have mentioned word of mouth is the best way to get more work, and being reliable is very important. Don't know where your from Newb but the weather is a serious problem here and Winter.

Most people I've seen start out using a estate car, some don't even bother with a van.

Best of luck for the rest of the season and next :fingers crossed:.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                    • glasgowdan

glasgowdan Gardener

Ratings:
                      +120
                      I've not read the last 4 pages, but glad you're going for it. How are you charging?

I started in 2009 and it's been mad ever since. I don't do any hourly rate charging as it is massively restrictive. Key things are to be 100% reliable and always turn up, don't put up with difficult customers, communicate clearly, accept payment by bank transfer/standing order and keep things professional with a business email, and so on.

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • Newbienoidea

Newbienoidea Gardener

Ratings:
                        +21
                        Thanks.
                        Weather certainly is a problem Perki, I'm in Wales so probably even worse than you in Lancashire! Haha! I'm using my car at the moment, will get a van next year, I dont want to pour money into a van and insurance etc at the moment especially with winter coming, it may just sit there! Talking of winter, do you get much in the winter? And if so what kind of work do you tend to do?

Glasgowdan, I charge per job/ visit, apart from one which I charge per hour as it suited me better to do that with this one particular client. I'm trying to keep professional, I've had payments through different ways and always produce an invoice etc even if the customer doesn't want themselves.

Thanks,

• Like Like x 1
                        • Liz the pot

Ratings:
                          +1,259
                          Ive one customer I charge an hourly rate and it’s a day a week through the year. Strangely it works out more than any fixed job I do but I do more than just the garden work ( no dirty jokes please ).
                          I’m just sorting out a boiler installation for her at the moment, large property and it’s going to be expensive. She’s offered me a full time job and for the first time I’m tempted.

• Like Like x 1