1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Gardening business...start up advice.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Newbienoidea, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,509
    I live on the south Pennines so get plenty of the wet stuff, particularly this year. The ground been so saturated most of the year I've missed loads of work ( except April / May ). The mowers sink in the ground and will chew it up, and leave muddy tram lines when the ground to wet, and they don't cut it as well.

Never short of work during the season, we have 200+ lawn maintenance jobs with most needing cutting fortnightly, many jobs we ( mainly dad I am not that old :snorky: ) been doing for 10 - 20 and sometimes 30+ years. Mainly do grass cutting its quick and easy. Do hedge's and tidy up at the back end ( late October - Nov to March ) .

I don't want to put you off, but if I could turn back time I possibly wouldn't do this job :noidea:. I like the work and being outside except today when it rained again halfway through a job. The weather and seasonal work and not having a constant stream of money can make it difficult at times.

I wish could win the lottery and buy a huge garden I could play in all day instead, working in someone else garden doesn't quite feel the same as working in your own.

On a good note though get to know your customer's very well plenty of brews - cakes - biscuits - bacon butty you name it, quite a lot pay more than I ask for as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,259
      Perki, you need to find a rich girl and marry her

• Like Like x 1
      • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,414
        That was my plan. Sadly it didn't turn out that way.

:snorky:

G.

• Like Like x 2
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Newbienoidea

Newbienoidea Gardener

Ratings:
          +21
          Sounds like you have a well established round there Perki. Only time will tell if I have done the right thing or not. I'm lucky to be in a position where I can afford to be quiet this winter, I'm hoping things pick up properly next year and when the weather improves. It was something I wanted to try for ages and it felt the right time to give it a go. If didn't I'd never know. And I think I'd regret that.

• glasgowdan

glasgowdan Gardener

Ratings:
          +120
          The system for me is charge plenty in season so come winter I literally don't have to work for 3 months and can enjoy diy and ski holidays!

• Like Like x 1
          • Liz the pot

Ratings:
            +1,259
            Thankfully I did. People would think I’m crazy if they knew me and my companion but I like what I do.

• Like Like x 1
            • Newbienoidea

Newbienoidea Gardener

Ratings:
              +21
              I like your thinking!

• Newbienoidea

Newbienoidea Gardener

Ratings:
              +21
              What's the General feeling about cutting grass in the wet? I have a couple of jobs and both customers have said if it's too wet wait until another day. I don't mind this, and was thinking the same thing and I have plenty of time to do it again, I just wondered what you guys do?

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
              +1,259
              Depends on the customer, if you are busy you can’t just leave till the next day if several don’t want it so they have to wait till their next booked time and if it rains again well you can see a pattern forming. When your books get full it’s not so easy fitting them in when you are a single tradesman. You have to dictate your terms in a polite way.
              If you have 6 full days and each day has 9 hours of cuts but 2 days are wet and customers turn you down you will suffer. The next cuts take longer too and might not a lot but it all adds up.
              Normally in the summer you can cut away as the grounds not too bad, now it’s starting to get horrible under feet so it’s not so easy unless you can use a light mower if need be.
              A few years back we had a terrible summer full of wet weather, you have to crack on.

Some companies charge on a cut basis, ie they cut 20, 32, whatever the amount suitable for an individual customer requirement cuts per year. If conditions are bad the customer pays even if the lawn is not cut. Some like it, some don’t, depends on the customer but it keeps your money flowing in.

What happens when a large number of customers turn down a cut, how do you make the cost up. Customers have to realise you need income to survive, a couple of bad weeks and poor income can see you in trouble if you have bills to pay.

Commercial contracts tend not to worry too much on weather so it’s good to have a mix as well.

That’s why if you are aiming for just grass cutting you want a rear roller and 4 wheel so you can cope well regardless of weather.

• Agree Agree x 1
              • glasgowdan

glasgowdan Gardener

Ratings:
                +120
                The only times I don't cut is if the lawn is so boggy the mower simply couldn't drive over it without churning it up. Luckily we have STRIMMERS! Nothing wrong with cutting a regular lawn with a strimmer on the odd occasion it's too horrendous to mow.

Get a proper mower and it will collect wet grass just fine. My Danarm pro roller fills the grass bag to bursting even when it's soaking as I fitted a hi lift blade and keep it sharp and the bag clean. The only problem with this is the weight of the bag when it comes to emptying it.

If a customer decides when I do and don't work due to the weather I say goodbye and replace them with another.

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
                +1,259
                Dan I suddenly realised who you are the other day, it’s been years since we last spoke on landscape juice. I think you just got married back then which shows how long ago it was.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +118,496
                This has been interesting reading. I just have my view of things as a customer. We have a fairly large garden and I do all the mowing and trimming and shaping the edges. Mrs Shiney and I do weeding, cutting back, pruning etc. but still need quite a bit of help - particularly as the years go by.

For regular maintenance I would only pay by the hour - and know how much work I expect done. In the last 40+ years we have only had three gardeners so they must be satisfied with the work and pay.

In our area most gardening work is done by the hourly rate but small jobs are quoted. The small ones have more wasted time moving between jobs. Having a large garden we have regular work and it's usually one full day per fortnight but, funnily enough, Autumn/Winter requires more time. There's lots of the major cutting back and clearing.

Word of mouth is definitely the best way round here. We are regularly being asked who we use as a gardener. The more work he gets close by, the better it is for him. Although he lives in a town nearby he doesn't get any work there. All of it is in and around our village (or the nearby villages) and mainly from our recommendation.

Nearly all his clients don't need the grass cuttings and hedge trimmings taken away. Neither do we, as we compost them. Bigger things we can burn on our bonfire so it just leaves the occasional thing that needs taking away. He has an agreement with a local farmer where he can dump, and burn, things for people who need them taken away. He and the farmer go fishing together.

All his jobs, apart from one, are domestic and pay cash before he leaves. The one job is commercial so they pay him at the end of the month.

• Like Like x 2
                • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                  +28,997
                  No commercial gardening experience, only in construction contracts, where contractors are required to allow in their pricing for 'adverse weather', such as normal weather patterns over several years of wet/cold/etc. that can affect construction works.

The only allowance made is for exceptionally adverse weather, but when this occurs, contractors are simply given some extra time to complete their works, and they have to bear whatever additional costs are incurred at their own expense.

There are plenty of commercially available sources of weather data, so price the cost of obtaining that in, together with the annual impact of average adverse weather conditions.

• Newbienoidea

Newbienoidea Gardener

Ratings:
                  +21
                  Thanks all ^
                  Been to have a look at another job today. It's a very big job! In all honesty I feel it's a bit on the large scale for someone like me just starting. However I'm also thinking I shouldn't turn down the work! I had a look with the owner if the house and she said for me to have a think and let her know. I also said I'd work out a price and let her know. How long do you guys take to reply with a quote or answer? I went to view at lunchtime today and still haven't made my mind up as to if the job is to large for me. So not got back in touch today.

• Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +8,509
                  Hi Newbienoidea , what are you finding overwhelming to not take on the job ? what jobs have they asked you to do ?
                  You are going to have to jump into the deep end eventually , do you have any friends / parents etc who are knowledge on gardening to help guide you or this forum very handy ;).

I not very good a giving quote's myself so I am not much help. If your not sure on a price working by the hourly price might be easier :noidea: