1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Gardening business...start up advice.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Newbienoidea, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Newbienoidea

Newbienoidea Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    Have no website yet. Working on it at the moment. I have a Facebook page.
    Thanks for the tip, have been out doing leaflets. One job tomorow , hoping the weather holds!

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,201
    Are you in the Mafia? :hate-shocked:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • glasgowdan

glasgowdan Gardener

Ratings:
      +120
      I'm torn, as they are nice enough as a pair (one is super grumpy, but it's not personal, and the other is so chirpy but talks and talks), but from a business perspective it doesn't provide the most effective use of my time.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,201
      I've known a number of gardeners that have lost a lot more business by dropping some of the regular small jobs than they would expect! It's surprising how quickly the word gets around that you can't trust someone to do the job. That's the way they see that sort of thing. :noidea:

"Don't use him! You don't know whether he'll continue to do the job." Goodwill in a service industry is well worth doing a few 'less cost effective' jobs.

Youngsters may have social media but older people have a gossip network and it spreads like wildfire.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Having run my own mail order business for many years, long before the advent of the internet, I can 100% agree with shiney. The vast majority of my new business over the years did not come from expensive advertising it came from word of mouth recommendations. My largest customer came from having been a recipient of my product from a "little old lady"who was quite demanding!. I didn't know the little old lady turned out to have many friends in high places which benefited my customer mailing list considerably.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
          Ratings:
          +31,818
          You don't know who some people are or could be later on in life

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Newbienoidea

Newbienoidea Gardener

Ratings:
            +21
            Have one job lined up for Monday , hoping the sunshine will get people to start thinking about there gardens a bit more. Currently building up a website to go along my Facebook page and planning more leaflet drops next week!

• glasgowdan

glasgowdan Gardener

Ratings:
            +120
            Good one. Work on the website. Get some SEO plugins and learn how to tailor them yourself. I have Yoest and another one on my wordpress site and my website gets first page results for most local and city wide google searches. No big spending on all the companies that constantly email or call promising to boost me up the google rankings!

I've just settled my schedule for the year and have already turned down a few people who had been in touch asking me to work for them this year. Once the phone really starts going mad in April/May I'll be saying no several times a day. But this is the way I have chosen to run business... part time, with loads of free time to spend with my kids and almost no work stress from worrying about staff and additional vans/tools. You just notch prices up and up once you're full until you find a balance. If you win every quote you're too cheap!

The best clients from a business perspective are working families. The older clients can be friendly and it's stress-free if they are not out watching you and suggesting what you should be doing. I have a few older ladies on the rounds who constantly tell me to just come whenever, do whatever I think needs done and they don't comment or bother me at all. They love knowing they have someone 100% reliable who will always be there on the day they say they will.

Regarding leaflets, you don't need to try and advertise everything on a leaflet. You can just select a couple of things, perhaps general garden maintenance visits plus lawn cuts or something like that. If you write everything down you get a enquiries that you really don't want to handle and it becomes a pain. Low pay type jobs that involve hard graft!

What's the facebook page? I'll give it a like :)

• Like Like x 1
            • anturing84

anturing84 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
              +2
              You could get a simple walk-behind leaf blower with mulching functionality to take care of the leaf clearing part and then also add "organic mulching" to the list (I'd read up on a few roundups before going in for the buy, tho'). Just an idea!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
            • Happy Gardener 1

Happy Gardener 1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
              +7
              Whilst everyone is on this subject

How does it stand for running a business from your home?

If you are only doing a couple of invoices/emails and holding your equipment at home, is that classed as running a business from home, especially if your address is the business contact details?

Thanks