1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Gardening diaries - friendly discussions (part 2)

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
    Ratings:
    +44,507
    Did some jam
    IMG_20170715_141550.jpg
    It took 3lb of stoned plums, mended the bag to put them in. Do the rest tomorrow. Picked some gooseberries and got stung on my finger by a wasp that was eating them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
      Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    • alp

alp Novice

Mum
      Ratings:
      +962
    • alp

alp Novice

Mum
      Ratings:
      +962
      Good morning - warmish and brightish/grey morning. As long as it stays 22C, I'm happy. Will carry on the bargain hunt..

• Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
      Ratings:
      +44,507
      Good morning all.nice day.

• alp

alp Novice

Mum
      Ratings:
      +962
      Been watching Top of the Lake on iplayer featuring Elizabeth Moss.. Episode 1 opens with some stunning scenery .. Wonder where that is.. Exquisite setting ..

• Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
      Ratings:
      +44,507
      @alp Top of the lake is in the RT, i did notice it, but it's down as a repeat, with 2 episodes on a Friday night. I thought that i tried to watch it before,i didn't bother. It says something about a island in New Zealand, so it could be there. They don't always film at same place.
      :)

• alp

alp Novice

Mum
      Ratings:
      +962
      Ah, thank you. The scene is lovely ..

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,354
      We're fortunate to have a lot of fruit trees so freeze a lot of apple (cook it down first) and still have about 30lb in the freezer :hapydancsmil: - using some of it today. :blue thumb:

• alp

alp Novice

Mum
      Ratings:
      +962
      @shiney How lovely! I have about 8 apples this year from my compact tree last year. Very pleased. I think I'm on the way to joining the fruit gang .. I might have 3 gooseberries and hope @zenj won't laugh at me. .. Well, I have to start somewhere. I must start collecting jars in case I have a bonanza next year!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
        Ratings:
        +44,507
        @shiney Last year i got a lot of cooking apples from a neaghbour up our close. Still got some in freezer cooked,hop. to get more this year.
        :bigthumb:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,354
          @alp With one of our claims we had an interesting situation. We're not on mains drainage and have a cess pool. One day we were having problems and I had to get someone in to investigate. It turned out that the drains (terracotta type) to the tank had collapsed so I put in a claim. They sent round their assessor who told us that we were not covered for it. I pointed out that there were no exclusions in the policy. He went away and I eventually received a letter from the insurers saying that I wasn't covered. I didn't need to argue with them because we had an easier way of dealing with it. Mrs Shiney worked for a big Merchant Bank and they had 1,000 employees with company mortgages and we were all on a group policy. So the Staff Benefits department phone the insurers and told them that they would take all their insurance business away from them. The workmen came round the next week to assess the repairs. :heehee:

They told me that they were going to replace all the drains with the new and super-improved system of compressed bitumen drains. I said that I didn't mind what they were as long as they would last as long as the last lot (28 years) but that I wanted it in writing from the insurers. This eventually arrived and the job was done :blue thumb:

15 years later:- the drains collapsed again!!! (I had them checked out and they had disintegrated). So I contacted them again and they said that drains were no longer covered by insurance unless there had been proven ground subsidence as well. It turned out that this was now a common exclusion so I was unable to claim for that reason :sad:.

That didn't deter me and Shiney went on the warpath :paladin: :old:. I told them I wasn't trying to claim on terms of them having collapsed but on misrepresentation. That got them puzzled and they wanted to know what I was talking about. So I said that they had promised me that they would be replacing the previous drains with something at least as good - and they failed to do so. They said they had no record of this and, in polite terms, told me to get lost. Fortunately I had kept the original letter (I keep a good filing system :)) so sent them a copy - along with a copy of the claim that I would be putting in to the Small Claims Court. So they sent round their assessor (same man, looking older) and he didn't bother to even argue :loll:

They put in terracotta pipes this time and they are still working OK (21 years later) :yahoo:

• Like Like x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • alp

alp Novice

Mum
            Ratings:
            +962
            Can't believe a thread on gardening can make me laugh so much.. I helped this old lady who employed all sorts of cowboys and she had a bi-fold doors with a threshold so high that she got tripped over several times, she was told to send letters via recorded delivery to this and that and so far, she is still drowning. Citizen Advice Bureau is useless except raising false hope for people like her as all these scammers go into liquidation and ask her if she knows laws about small enterprise and private little businesses going bust. Of course, another business springs up ..

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
              +17,487
              Good morning folks :)
              One of my early jobs was assessing insurance claims.....met many "iffy" and fraudulent folk :noidea:
              Sometimes we have to fight the insurance companies......their default position seems to be no. :mad:
              Those compressed bitumen pipes are now no longer covered by many companies Shiney. Apparently they are not as wonderful as once thought and roots will grow through them seeking the moisture in the drains. I had these replaced under my policy some 6 years ago

Upsy, had to chuckle when your son confronted the intruder.
              One evening, it was dark, I saw a shadow by conservatory window.....Spike's growl made me look. Two guys were trying to break into toolshed. A combination of Spike barking and my own shouting alerted them and they ran. I gave chase and eventually caught one lf them. It was so funny.....as I got closer and closer I could hear the guy panicking. Took him back home and called the police.
              I also caught a guy who had hit and run my niece in her car with his van. It was clear this guy used this road regularly so 4 weeks later I caught him. Got £400 from him which was more than enough to cover the scratches to her car. More effective than the police would have been alas......he would have had a token warning and my niece would have had nothing.

Hoping to transplant a couple of plants today and to feed front lawn.....ha ha, isn't gardening so much more civilised than chasing the bad guys ? :rasp:

• Funny Funny x 2
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +8,492
                Morning all hope all well :)
                The summer plants are just starting to flower, seems like I've been waiting ages, all delphiniums have finished now along with all my alliums :cry3:.
                I am getting the itchy feeling when I want to move plants here there and everywhere.

Got to go to a christening today, I've been asked to be a god parent so that means I've to go :help:. I hate having dress up, I might need a few :Wino:to cheer me up :rolleyespink:. Probably miss tennis as well :cry3:one more win for Fed for a 8th title :love30:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                • Funny Funny x 1
                • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
                  Ratings:
                  +54,373
                  Hi , hope all are well.

Late today as we have had a family crisis, my younger sister was rushed to hospital yesterday in a very poorly state. She had her gall bladder removed a couple of weeks ago and her recovery hasn't been too good, they are now saying that they suspect she has pancreatitis and is now undergoing tests today. I've just been reading up on it and apparently it can be fatal and also cause organ failure......thank god she phoned 999 as she has been feeling bad for a while, but hasn't had any support from her GP....lives on her own and doesn't live down here near the rest of us.....phew that was too close a call!! At last she is in a safe place.

Have a Smashing Sunday.:)

• Friendly Friendly x 1