Gardening in the rain!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Palustris, Jul 3, 2007.

1. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Looking at your stunning garden I can't imagine you EVER have a day when there is nothing to do! [​IMG]

2. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Always find a weed or three to pull up, even when showing people around!
    Advantage of a decent workshed and greenhouses, is that the rain is not a problem.

3. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I had the tour this afternoon. My head is still in a whirl. Palustris has that many different plants and there are so many names. I can't remember how many greenhouses he has. He has a fair amount of land but makes it seem even bigger with seperate hidden gardens and different sections. Quite an afternoon. Have been trying to find out about some of the plants he sent me home with. Also going to try one plant that I thought was impossible here, Maurandya, but having seen one in Palustris' garden covering a large section of shed wall I think I will give it a go.
    Palustris I will put a couple of Dicentra scandens on one side for you if that is OK...and I have some nice Dierama igneums. Well I have about 80 of those cause I collected my own seed. Good deal smaller than the Dierama you have and they are a deep pink colour....mm and there is a yellow jacob's ladder...
    Thanks very much for an enjoyable afternoon. I was really impressed with how you have laid it out and the setting for the plants. The mind boggles at the amount of work involved in laying out that garden.

4. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Really pleased you enjoyed the visit. Started off with a bang when my crown fell out, but at least the rain held off!
    The Maurandia barclayana should not have survived outside really, but that part of the garden is sheltered, southfacing and the wall is brick so that retains heat and the plant is growing under paving slabs so frost does not get to the soil either. I confess I was very surprised that it survived.
    The Arisaema is A. flavum minor, by the way.
    Thank-you for the offer of the Dicentra, it is a plant I have always wanted and failed utterly to grow from the seed I have been sent. Dieramas are also a favourite too, but this is the first time they have survived to flowering.
    You will have to visit again, you only managed half the garden this time!

PS. 3 Greenhouses, a shade house and a polytunnel, plus a Summerhouse, two gazebos and a huge workshed. (30 feet by 20 feet).