Garlic Harvest

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by oktarine, Jul 7, 2007.

1. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I used to plant in spring, like shallots but i think I will give autumn planting a go. I was never impressed with the total crop. I don't have that much room now so have to maximise my cropping. I am going to try one of the varieties that was recommended in an article I read.
    I agree with trying things for yourself. I don't bother growing onions from sets anymore. I find it just as easy and cheaper, and I get a bigger crop to grow them from seed. Still trying to find the best ways of doing things after gardening for 40+ years ( I started at the age of 5 or thereabouts)

2. sharon

sharon Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I planted mine in November unpeeled and have harvested about 2 weeks ago as they went yellow and the plants collapsed, and i am really pleased with the results. They seemed soft but put in the shed to dry and in a couple of days they were as good as anything i have ever bought in the shop. Think i will try peeling next time just to see the difference, so glad i tried garlic as a true money saver using no gardening skills at all.

3. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2