1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

GC problem causing Internet Explorer to Crash?

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by JWK, Sep 22, 2010.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,508
    I had problems with IE7 so upgraded to 8.

NOTE;- for BT Yahoo internet users. They have their own version of IE8 which has a lot of extras worth having so you should upgrade through the BT home website.

I upgraded to Office 2010 as well and am having slight problems with it. I think that Outlook 2010 is occasionally freezing my computer (haven't isolated the problem yet). It freezes all the windows on the screen but the cursor is still able to be moved around :scratch:. Control Alt Delete doesn't respond when it has frozen.

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Interesting - we upgraded to IE8 a few months ago and I haven't had problems here since.

Wouldn't it be lovely if there was an operating system for computers that didn't cause these problems?!

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,508
    If we didn't have problems a lot of people would be out of business :skp:.

4. Acorn

Acorn Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +10
    If I use Firefox to log on to this forum whenever I click on any post / link I persistently get the following message, most annoying, any clues please? Regards Dave.

Attached Files:

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I tried to load the file identified in your error message (/styles/default/xenforo/gradients/category-23px-light.png) , and I get a "not found" message too. So presumably it really does not exist :)

It is possible that your browser (or the device you are using - e.g. a tablet / whatever) is using a style sheet (or erroneously, if there is a bug in your browser) and thus deducing that it needs that file. Might be that your browser should be loading it, but because it is missing that's giving and error, but if you browser is wrongly trying to load it then it is correct that it aint there!

First-up I would make sure that Firefox is up to date, just in case there is a newer version that fixes the problem

I checked what my browser is loading, and it is loading the file:

/forum/styles/default/xenforo/gradients/category-23px-light.png
    i.e. I have the "forum" bit on the front, you don't.

It may not be as simple as your browser wrongly failing to add the prefix - its possible your browser is seeing a different stylesheet to mine, and that stylesheet (wrongly) has the "/forum/" prefix missing. Or

your browser has a bug and it should be adding that, but isn't :(

If there is no upgrade, or it doesn't fix it, then it looks like you are stuck :sad:

6. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Other Xenforo forums (only checked a few) don't use the forum bit in between web address and styles, so presumably Acorn could be using them and not experience any problem, making this issue appear GC specific to him.

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Might be that that bit, in the style sheet, has not been mod'd then? and perhaps applies only to browser / tablet ("responsive CSS") or somesuch

8. Acorn

Acorn Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks Kristen......the issue is even more anomalous in that when the "Not Found" message appears on screen, by simply clicking the "Back" button the D.T. computer proceeds to open the selected link so it is not a case of the file not being available. This does not -as I mentioned - happen if I use I.E. so it is not the end of the world just an unexplainable hurdle. Cheers Dave.

9. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Odd indeed, now I think about it, because the "missing file" is an image. Normally as you wander around the site you wind up on HTML "pages", not a single image. The style sheet will want to load all sorts of images - for the "furniture" on the page - but if any are not found it will simply ignore them [and possibly muck up the display as a consequence], so to wind up on a "not found" page does seem odd.

Apologies for a numpty suggestion, but you weren't double clicking the original link? I was just wondering if the first click loaded the page and the second one attempted to open the erroneous link to the "Missing image".

Did you get a chance to check if you have the latest version of Firefox?

But as you say, it is something you can work around, so maybe not worth attempting to find a solution :)