General Election: Who the hell am I going to vote for???

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Val.., Mar 19, 2015.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,844
    Not if members of the family who couldn't pay were facing jail and the Heads of the family had to pay for them.:dunno::coffee:
    You're correct, I used the wrong descriptive word but it doesn't disguise that the fact that it was a totally new tax going from brick and mortar to individual persons, so I guess I should have used the word "replaced":snork:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +93,145
    But that is what is happening now anyway, the head of the family is liable to pay the tax for the rest of the family.
    Only difference is that the way it is now, some of their neighbours are also subsidising them..

Especially houses with only one or two occupants.

3. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,844
    :nonofinger:Not true. Council rates are in bands and depend on the size of your house rather than the number of persons in the House. So a Poll tax forces a low income family to pay what it can't afford. A person living in a 6 or more bedroom house and earning a high wage will only pay the same for each member of the household as the low income family.:dunno::snork:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +93,145
      Got to agree @ARMANDII, but aint that right then.
      Why should you pay more for the same services just based on the house you live in.

Surely you should only pay more, if you use those services more.
      And more people in the house adds up to more use of the services, in my reckoning.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,844
        I'm not a Royalist, Wee Tam, but I reckon the Queen could do a better job at running the country than any of our present Politicians:heehee: She's run the Royal Household like a business for a long time......none of our Politicians can say that.:heehee:

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
          Ratings:
          +4,951
          Which is exactly what isn't fair!!! There was an elderly lady living next door to us, the charges for her having water/ electricity/ gas/ and a telephone line, even though she used very little of either, were the same as a family of 6 using all the amenities often!! How is that fair?

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • marie131963

marie131963 Gardener

Medically retired ex Pharmacy Technician
            Ratings:
            +100
            Funny but I would pay more tax for our own services. I am afraid I would not give immigrates our benefits, I would change the amount they can claim only after 5 years to the exact amount they would get in their country of origin. NO NHS unless they have insurance, Maybe life threatening illness and accident charged to the country's embassy If they become homeless for 3 months or commit a crime. put them back on a plane to their country of origin and block their re-entry. I would have a looser link with Europe, I would not let them dictate our laws and if that is not possible I would leave the EU. I would not do the fast track rail. I would improve the general railway and the carriages starting up north and do the south last. . I would charge immigrates the extra difference in cost to education in their homeland for children. Then if they can't or wont pay I would take them away within 3 months by military uncomfortable plane and they can appeal in their country of origin AND I would make a law all appeals All are done in country of origin for right to come here if refused blocked from re-entry asylim seekers I would also place them in a holding sentre with very basic conditions no right to roam outside free to be removed from this country on request so we don't break their human rights. I know I am wicked with these wishes but everyone is taking advantage of us using our system when our own kids cannot get work, housing, jobs, security enough is enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,844
              What services,Pete???"":dunno: I get my bins emptied fortnightly, they stopped repairing roads for several years creating an almost unusable system because of pot holes that became craters. The Library was cut down to an almost unusable size, services to the aged became almost non-existent, the Bus service was cut by 60% with some villages and areas losing them altogether making them unable to get to towns or hospitals. The Police don't do foot patrols in the area, when you see them they're heading out to the Motorway or hiding behind a tree with a speed camera to earn more points and money for the Councils. My family of three daughters didn't use any services other than filling the bins. Yes, they used more electricity, water, etc.......but I paid those bills. So what services?? You can bet that while all those cuts were going on the Councillors, high level Government officials were still getting raises as per their contracts, and claiming even more expenses.:heehee:

• Agree Agree x 3
              • Like Like x 1
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,844
                Well, all people living alone in a house are in the same situation, as I am, the only "Standard" charges the elderly lady would pay are Rates [25% discount], Water [unless on a meter], and Landline rental, so she would only pay for services used on the telephone and energy. But I agree with aged people on low income even more discounts should be made to get standard outgoings to a fair level.:coffee:

• Agree Agree x 1
                • pete

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +93,145
                  So your Daughters didn't use the street lighting, pavements, schools, police, road sweepers, fire, and all the other things the rest of us benefit by, but rarely think about?

And yes we would all like more.
                  But that's because you aint paying enough:snork:

• Like Like x 2
                  • mr c

mr c Gardener

joiner
                    Ratings:
                    +232
                    The poll tax to me was,
                    the previous year was rate's i had to pay £650 for the year,the poll tax £200 per head over the age 18 the kids to young,me and the missus £400 saving £250 the year.
                    Then it went to council tax and what do you know i'd done some work to the house of course it had to be re accessed band a to band c £1000 per year well done the anty poll tax peeps
                    now in different house and reluctant to do any work to it

• Like Like x 1
                    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,844
                      I've already pointed out that the Police Force stopped being there for the Community due to the cuts so foot patrols were stopped, and the only two mobile police cars were reduced to sitting at cross roads at night with only enough fuel for around 200 miles for the night. My daughters did cause a Chip Fire in the kitchen but I put that out [and didn't get a discount from the Fire Service]. The eight Fire Stations that we had in the area is now down to 3. The permanent Fire Staff was cut down from 70% [the rest were "on call" volunteers] to 20% permanent staff and a similar cut to the "on call" staff. Road Sweepers???, I haven't seen one in years:dunno: They've just starting cutting the grass verges so we're grateful for small mercies. Yes, they used the Schools, [well, until an idiot burned down the local Primary...no, not me]. The Schools suffered the same degree of cuts as did other services, so classes got bigger and Teachers got less in numbers. The EFA funds the schools primarily [£54 Billion] via grant returns and the Councils don't rely on locally raised taxes to run their schools as all taxes are accountable to the Government.
                      So no, my daughters didn't use any other services........just me.:coffee:

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
                    • marie131963

marie131963 Gardener

Medically retired ex Pharmacy Technician
                      Ratings:
                      +100
                      Usually as a single person you get reductions to council tax, water, fuel i she poor get £140 to help the bills plus winter fuel allowance. Telephone she can get a mobile pay as you go. If she was also disabled she may get a discount for community charge .

If you live in a big house in a nice area why not pay more community charge.
                      You can always sell up and buy a smaller property in a less well off area cheaper band money in bank not so bad. I live in a deprived area band B but my house is paradise.

If you have a big family on a water metre, the water companies give discounts to families with 3 or more children too.

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +5,131
                        At the end of the day nothing will change from tomorrow except that things will get worse and more expensive at the same time for the masses. On that cheery note :snooze:

• Agree Agree x 2
                        • Like Like x 1
                        • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +23,099
                          Ok, forget poll tax/council tax. I would stop child benefit. :sofa::sofa::sofa:

On a serious note though it is a silly benefit. The money save could be redirected to the genuinely needy, proper NHS dental care and towards the education system. Raising children is expensive and should be the parents responsibility. It's a choice, not a right. Sorry.
                          I stopped at one because I knew I could afford that. Didn't know that she would be studying to be a doctor now though so it'll be another few years before I stop shelling out.

I still couldn't vote tory even if it was a declared policy as opposed to one they may well sneak in (the cuts have got to come from somewhere).

• Like Like x 1