General Election: Who the hell am I going to vote for???

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Val.., Mar 19, 2015.

1. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    @fat controller Do you think the scottish people will want another referendum for independence.?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +93,142
    I hope so.:biggrin:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,951
      Why?

• Autumn bliss

Autumn bliss Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,534
      Well i sure think it will happen in the next few years:)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +93,142
        Because they obviously still want independence, why else would there be such a strong swing to the SNP?
        I also feel that if England doesn't get similar powers to the ones Scotland, and in part, Wales already have, its best we split.
        The Scots were more or less told that the SNP would end up propping up a Labour Government, so they were duped into voting SNP rather than Labour, maybe?

If they are thinking of replacing Trident, they should also be thinking of moving it south of the border.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
          Ratings:
          +52,016
          I think they will - there has been a groundswell of support following the last referendum, and maybe part of that is because there were those who said no simply because they didn't think as many people would vote yes. I remain unconvinced, however, that many of those that are part of that groundswell are making their decisions with knowledge and a bit of foresight - - indeed, given some of the awful behaviour that has been shown on the news, I would question the intelligence levels and the understanding of what is acceptable behaviour.

Talking to my mum yesterday, before the result was declared obviously, I commented that I didn't really like some of the things I was seeing happening, and wondered what on earth has become of Scotland; the really sad thing is that she agreed with me that in many ways it has gone to the dogs, and she still lives there.

It has been a long time since I lived in Scotland now, and much as I hold the place very dear in my heart, I doubt very much that I will ever return for anything more than a visit now - I just don't like the place it has become.

• Like Like x 3
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            I was discussing this with my mum today and she came up with a good point....
            Perhaps they voted no last September because they didn't want Alex Salmond as President but there was such a huge swing this time because they wouldn't mind having Witchy Sturgeon as President.

• pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +93,142
            Salmon d and Sturgeon, all sounds a bit fishy to me.

• Funny Funny x 5
            • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
              +100,844
              :hate-shocked::runforhills::runforhills:

• Funny Funny x 2
              • Like Like x 1
              • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                Ratings:
                +52,016
                I fear that it is much more simplistic than that - - as with the rest of the rest of the UK, there are many people who are utterly disillusioned with the current establishment in Westminster, and in short decided to stick two fingers up in a sort of F-you gesture; many that would have voted for Labour normally would have defected after the nonsense surrounding the resignation of Johann Lamont back in October. And realistically, who could they defect to? Tory - not a chance; Lib Dem - well, the last time we voted for them, they went into bed with the arch enemy the Tories, so again not a chance. UKIP - aye, that will be shining bright! No way would they vote for a guy called Farage (pronounced the posh way), who speaks with a marble in his mouth. And that leaves the SNP, or the nearly rans....... and the SNP are currently in power in Scotland

I do wonder if that was part of the mindset - lets vote SNP to give those posh English buggers a bit of a bloody nose, and then we can have labour and SNP calling the shots; only, Ed Milliband decided to say that he wouldn't consider a deal with SNP. Red rag to a bull that was - so we're not good enough to do a deal with, eh? Well sod you and the horse you rode in on.

As for Trident, I can sort of see both sides of that one - - having something so close to home that has the potential (extremely slim) for a Chernobyl style problem is not a pleasant thought. I grew up very close to Chapelcross nuclear power station, and at the time when the Lockerbie disaster happened, it was said that it was lucky that it wasn't a few minutes earlier in the flight - if it had hit Chapelcross, Scotland and England would have certainly been divided countries with a ruddy great crater between them.

However, as far as I know, there are no waters outside of Scotland that are deep enough, and have the capacity for the necessary infrastructure to hold a nuclear deterrent for the UK. We might not like having it, but the way Russia has been behaving (not to mention that wee bampot from North Korea) -- I am not in a position to say if we need it or not (I don't know enough about it to be honest), but if we do then it needs to be kept somewhere. And Russia is not going to fly over Scotland to get to England and leave Scotland alone.

• Like Like x 2
                • marie131963

marie131963 Gardener

Medically retired ex Pharmacy Technician
                  Ratings:
                  +100
                  These people are all so wealthy they probably do a Reginald Perin and leave it all be hind on their imaginary beach in their own little paradise!

• Funny Funny x 1
                  • rosebay

rosebay budding naturalistic gardener!

Full Time Person....OK, pensioner!
                    Ratings:
                    +1,163
                    I think you are missing the point. Conservatives have been in power for 5 years - enough time to make improvements don't you think? In that time they have not spent enough money into the NHS else it wouldn't be undergoing a financial crisis would it? The NHS is blatantly being deliberately run down to make going private seem attractive.

Whilst Labour said that they would halt privatisation of the NHS if they got into power, it really stood out that Cameron made no such concession. The writing is on the wall and people can see it!

• Agree Agree x 2
                    • Disagree Disagree x 1
                    • westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
                      Ratings:
                      +598
                      I'd love to know what the results have cost us:

On leaving the House of Commons, an MP will be entitled to what is essentially severance pay.

Resettlement Grant

The Resettlement Grant is the name given to the MPs severance pay package. It may be claimed to help former MPs with the costs of adjusting to nonparliamentary life. It is payable to any Member who ceases to be an MP at a General Election. The amount is based on age and length of service, and varies between 50% and 100% of the annual salary payable to a Member of Parliament at the time of the Dissolution.

In the UK the first £30,000 of severance pay is tax free. The amount retiring MPs, or those who lose their seats receive depends on how old they are and how long they have served in the House. Example. An MP who stays in office for one term (say 5 years) and then leaves office will currently receive tax-free severance pay of 50% of his current salary, or £32,383 at current rates - equivalent to an annual salary increment of over £12,000 at current tax rates and pay scales.

For the 2010-2015 Parliament, only MPs defeated in their attempt to be re-elected will get one month’s salary for each year served, up to a maximum of six months or over £33,000. From the start of the 2015 Parliament, it will be replaced by a "Loss of Office Payment", at double the statutory redundancy payment. "For the 'average' MP, who leaves office with 11 years' service, this may lead to a payment of around £14,850."

Winding-up Allowance

There is also up to £42,000 on offer to pay for winding up staff contracts and office rent. An allowance of up to one third of the annual Office Costs Allowance was paid for the reimbursement of the cost of any work on Parliamentary business undertaken on behalf of a deceased, defeated or retiring Member after the date of cessation of Membership. On 5 July 2001 the House agreed to change the allowance to one third of the sum of the staffing provision and Incidental Expenses Allowance in force at the time of cessation of Membership.

• Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
                        +0
                        I don't think I'm missing the point at all simply because the last Labour government left the country BROKE. Yes they've had 5 years but where's the money coming from?
                        As I said in my earlier post how do you blame what our doctors are doing on the Government.
                        The NHS is full of un-needed managerial posts and trust positions and wages ( in some sectors) that are too high.

• Agree Agree x 3
                        • Disagree Disagree x 2
                        • rosebay

rosebay budding naturalistic gardener!

Full Time Person....OK, pensioner!
                          Ratings:
                          +1,163
                          I agree that the NHS needs an overhaul to make it run more efficiently. However, you ask where the money comes from...yet money has somehow been found to fund other projects in those 5 years hasn't it? Curious that! Are you overlooking incoming revenue in those 5 years of power? It's all a question of priorities and Conservatives are not going to put the needs of the working class first are they? [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1