General Election: Who the hell am I going to vote for???

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Val.., Mar 19, 2015.

1. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,099
    He had a rage on him I'm told.
    But I also think that he was an honourable man (he has just done five years on the back benches). Not a great orator in the way that Blair and Camoclown are though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
      Ratings:
      +857
      We pay 20% of our pensions ( If of course we ever get to claim them before they are taken away) in taxes so hardly getting away with it scott free.

Sorry but the fact remains and the deal was we pay NI whether we like it or not. Fact is of course the money has been squandered elsewhere and that is why the pensionable age has been raised and we wait ages for treatment or even to see a doctor here in the UK.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
        Ratings:
        +857

There are plenty of bricks available form the EU so have no fear materials wont run out. But for me the very fact houses are being thrown up on every available patch of land with NO consideration to those around it stinks and the smell aint pleasant !

Bricks and roof tiles from the EU are sub standard to what we are used to. You are correct they will not stand up to the weather in certain areas. In fact some of the French roof tiles imported just seven or eight years ago are failing due to the fact they have inadequate frost resistance.
        When these materials were first imported they gained a foothold because they were cheap. Now the sheer demand means the accountants in the supply chain have raised the cost up too and sometimes above the UK produced material. Buy hey who cares we must have thousand of houses no matter what.

• Informative Informative x 3
        • Like Like x 1
        • pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
          "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
          Ratings:
          +4,445
          Why are people demonstrating outside Downing St, we have had a DEMOCRATIC election, have voted in the Democratically elected party, sorry whichever side you wanted, proportional representation or not, bully tactics and mob rule don`t work for me.

• Agree Agree x 6
          • Disagree Disagree x 1
          • Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
            Ratings:
            +4,951
            Proportional representation I think is a much fairer way of forming a government, a more 'balanced' government and I think it is time to change the way we vote. Mob rule didn't use to work for me either but people are fed up and I am not surprised that they are showing it.

Wouldn't this just give us more Council Estates? :th scifD36:

• Agree Agree x 3
            • mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
              Ratings:
              +6,627
              No offence intended folks :sofa:

Even with the conservative cut backs even Ed can get a job!

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Funny Funny x 5
              • Like Like x 1
              • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +23,099
                NI has created the ultimate political paradox for government for a long time. It became clear in Thatchers time (and for once I cannot blame her for this) that the state has a pensions deficit. So government now loves immigration as it increases the ratio of those working to those drawing the state pension thus avoiding raising the NI contribution. But it has created another political football at the same time.

Because it is their democratic right to demonstrate. Simples :snork:

Go back a couple of pages Val.

Peachy @mowgley !

• Like Like x 2
                • Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +3,631
                  And i think this right here demonstrates a massive problem we have

Not being funny val and this isnt an attack on you

but i think everyone agrees more houses need to be built and more affordable housing

Then people dont want it on green belt land or the countryside

Also now people dont want it on flood plains for obviously reasons. Its stupid to build normal houses in areas that prone to flooding

So then you are left with brownfield sites in cities are are sitting empty and derelict and then you say wouldnt this lead to council estates

Seriously!?!

So if we dont develop of brown field sites where else is there?

Also why would changing an unused factory or disused building or empty urban space make it a council estate? They aren't massive large areas of land just lots of little pockets of land that currently arn't being used and could be repurposed.

Plus surely it depends on the type of development whether it becomes a council estate or not and not the type of land it is built on

The biggest council estate round here was built on ancient forest woodland in the green belt in the 70s so the type of land doesnt make a difference.

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                  At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                  Ratings:
                  +52,016
                  There is a wee part of me pleased that people are demonstrating, as it shows that there might just be a shred of backbone left in this country. I categorically do not support the violence or the damage to property, however it everyone that was fed up with the current way things are done were to take to the streets and simply bring things to a halt just by the sheer numbers of people.... well, that would be quite something.

I think two things should happen - firstly, everyone eligible to vote should have to vote, by law at least in general elections (even if that were an internet/postal/proxy vote), and secondly go with proportional representation; why should we have one party able to push through their own agenda on issues that affect all of us just because they have the bulk of the votes? Each issue should be raised and voted on, on a case by case basis. Significant issues should be put out to public vote/referendum.

If PR was applied to this elections results, the picture in terms of seat numbers is very, very different:

pr.png

• Informative Informative x 2
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Funny Funny x 1
                  • Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
                    Ratings:
                    +857

The Conservatives would have got in any way even if PR was used. Well I think they would depending on what majority would be required . It was 38% Cons to 31% Labour with UKIP on 13%. So as far as I can say the result would have been the same.

• Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
                    Ratings:
                    +857
                    Ah I see I was beaten to the post by FC.

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                    Ratings:
                    +52,016
                    With regard to housing, I think that part of the problem is the type of property being built, particularly so if it is green field land that is used, however this does apply to all land - if a site is crammed with tiny wee houses, or blocks of flats, with no gardens and little in the way of open spaces other than car parking and roads it simply leads to the infrastructure being overloaded (water, sewerage, roads, schools, doctors, transport services....... I could go on), and it also has other problems that won't necessarily be immediately notable, such as increased flood risk (more concrete and tarmac in a condensed area), and the potential for civil disputes (people simply living too close to each other are going to fall out eventually...)

If there was a stipulation that housing had to be of a certain size (none of these cupboards that builders try to pass off as bedrooms), and each house had to have a certain amount of free space around it (garden) and each one had to have an off road parking space for at least two vehicles and blocks of flats were restricted to being no more than three stories high and also have suitable off road parking to cater for the residents, with either that parking to be made in such a way that the ground is permeable, or to have a further open area such as a communal garden or park to allow for space and to allow for reasonable drainage.

If people were not cramped together, not having to battle for services, and had more open spaces (gardens, parks etc) for recreation (gardening, walking, playing - whatever), then we would also be healthier. Housing allocation should also be mixed - a proportion for those who wish to buy, a proportion for those who can afford to pay the going rate for rent (and they could be done on a rent-to-buy scheme), and finally social housing for those who cannot afford to pay their own rent. This would avoid the massive estates of all one type back in the 60's/70's, and lessen the risk of anti-social behaviour. Oh, and nobody to come into the country and just be given a house without contributing - bit more like Australia please!

• Agree Agree x 2
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
                      Ratings:
                      +31,899
                      I'd be more comfortable with that final column FC,
                      Jenny

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • Disagree Disagree x 1
                      • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +23,099
                        To be fair the result would have been very different. It could possibly have been the worst case scenario of Tory/UKIP coalition :help:

• Agree Agree x 2
                        • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
                          Ratings:
                          +31,899
                          What do you disagree with longk?
                          Jenny