General Election: Who the hell am I going to vote for???

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Val.., Mar 19, 2015.

1. Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with you totally Armandii, I was just replying to Val.

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,844

Understood, Anthony.:coffee::snork:

3. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    I think if you are happy with where you live then you shouldn't give a toss what other people think.

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +123,176
    That's not true for our constituency. Our MP has, quite often, voted and campaigned against party policy. He fights for what is needed locally and for what he thinks should happen nationally (as have most of our MPs, Labour and Conservative, in the past 50+ years I've lived here).

The current one (Conservative) lives in the area, belongs to a union, fights for the NHS, started the campaign to lower fuel duty and to get more tax out of power companies, is fighting for an increase in apprenticeships (actually has the first paid apprentice in The Commons) and even fought, successfully, to keep our 'Lollipop Ladies' and doesn't let his cerebral palsy get in the way of doing what he wants.

I was equally enthusiastic about some of our Labour MPs.

I always make it my business to learn all about our MPs and prospective MPs. It helps to know that so that I can speak for or against what they are doing. :blue thumb:

I've spoken to all but the current one quite a number of times (and told them what I thought) as I used to cut their hair :heehee:. I've been retired too long to know whether I have cut the current MP's hair :old:

He hasn't yet come to our Open Garden - but I'm working on it. :snork:

• Like Like x 3
    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,099
      There are bad estates. In Oxford there are three such "bad" estates.
      • Blackbird Leys has the worst rep but I think that is largely because it has a high percentage of black residents. I know a few people who live there and I'm happy enough to wander around it at night alone. The joy riders tend to head there at night because there are so many routes out and that is the main thing that makes the headlines dragging the estates name down. Drugs (from what I've seen are not a huge problem).
      • I do not like going to Barton Estate even in broad daylight. Drug deals are done outside the shops in plain view, people watch (and follow) outsiders. A classic sink estate but as it's mostly white it's not so newsworthy. The worst estate.
      • Rose Hill. Bad rep because it looks like a rubbish dump. Lots of empty vandalised houses and just a bad feeling about it. Not scary like Barton.
      BUT there are many more estates that never get talked about. They're no different to any other residential area apart from being council or housing association owned. These estates never get talked about or make the headlines (much like all the other social housing estates around the UK) so the perception of social housing amongst people that have no interaction with it is that they're all like the sink estates that do make the headlines.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
        Ratings:
        +7,491
        Housing estates are as bad as the people who live on them make them. If you're lucky you find a good group of neighbours who are considerate and care about the quality of the neighbourhood. If you're unlucky you end up living on a battle field. I should know I live on one and thankfully have good neighbours. There is an excellent Residents Association which helps. You can never tell though who's going to move in next. But @Val.. I know what you're saying......I can't wait to leave. Hopefully before Xmas or just after. :fingers crossed:

• Like Like x 1
        • mr c

mr c Gardener

joiner
          Ratings:
          +232
          Find a place you can dig a moat and have a drawbridge,you'll still get hassle from neighbours

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,886
            An estate? :scratch: The original post was specific: council estate.
            Perhaps you are speaking to the wrong people? Unless you spoke to all of them you are only going to get a snapshot view.

Agreed.

Ahem :sick0026: :redface: Thanet District Council :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

An estate? Did the young couples purchase a starter home on a Wimpey style estate, or are you still referring to council estates? :scratch: :noidea: It's very confusing to distinguish which you are speaking about.

Quite! But then, to be fair, your comments regarding council estates were based on what other people thought living there so .... why should you "give a toss" when you are happy where you live? ;)

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Sorry "M", :(

• Funny Funny x 1
              • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +31,886
                No need for a sad face - or apology :heehee:
                You can't know what you don't know unless someone who does know lets you know :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
                :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
                • Funny Funny x 1
                • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  So I've just seen that Mr Farage isn't resigning after all ( and don't say it's because the party wouldn't let him, he should have stuck to what he said).
                  Just sounds like a publicity stunt to me.

• Agree Agree x 5
                  • Funny Funny x 1
                  • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +31,886
                    Bet Ed and Nick are kicking themselves for not thinking of *that* first :roflol:

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • Funny Funny x 1
                    • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
                      +0
                      I just had exactly the same idea, and was just about to write it
                      LOL

• Funny Funny x 1
                      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +93,124
                        Sorry Anthony I have to dissagee, its the system, and it suits the two main parties, so nothing is likely to change any time soon.
                        This last election has really proved the point, we dont get what we vote for.

• Agree Agree x 1
                        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +93,124
                          Must admit I was getting a bit confused about what constitutes an "Estate".

To me its a collection of houses all very similar, usually in rows, often joined to one another.

I,ve never really made a distinction between council, and the posh bought houses.

If they fit into that category, (IMO) they are on a housing "ESTATE", anyone who says they aint has got a touch of the Mrs Buckets, big time.:biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 5
                          • Funny Funny x 2
                          • Like Like x 1