Getting rid of slugs/snails

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Hannah, May 5, 2005.

1. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +748
    hello, i have not seen a Hedgehog for about 3 years in my garden although on the edge of the countryside. I do do a slug patrol with torch, as mentioned above, instant success and not harmful to other creatures. I have loads of frogs and a few toads. i am almost totally organic and never use chemicals so i try to look after my hopping helpers.

2. Hannah

Hannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It rained last week.

On Saturday I went to my basil and lo and behold there was virtually nothing left of it. It had only just recovered as well! I caught four whoppers red-handed and gave them flying lessons, then discovered a whole load more down the sides of the compartment. There was also a heap of what looked like frogspawn or tapioca, which I disposed of in case it was harmful. There is now a thick carpet of slug pellets for several feet approaching my herb garden and my precious runner bean. I also discovered that they don't appreciate cheap beer any more than cheap cider. I hate wasting good beer on slugs...

Anyway. The smug satisfaction of seeing dead bodies lying on the concrete inches away from my herbs... I'm not really sadistic, I'm just very possessive of my plants!

3. hydroponics man

hydroponics man Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0