Global thermonuclear war

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by andrewh, Jun 8, 2009.

1. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    That could explain a lot...I was in Malaysia in the 60s..
    1960s that is.... not 1860s:hehe::hehe::hehe:

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I'm pretty sure that Creeping Jenny and Bindweed are two completely different plants.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,995
    Don't tell Claire clueless1, shes outside right now zapping all her Creeping Jenny :lollol:

4. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Fortunately JOHN............................I remembered the ground elder fiasco..........................remember??? Hmmmmm?

5. joyce42

joyce42 Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have been at war with Bindweed for THIRTY YEARS I am not winning

6. busybee

busybee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0

Hmmmmm........

...............something tells me i need to rethink :scratch:

So you say i have to spray with weedkiller? I there really no other way? I had wanted to avoid chemicals cos i have pet rabbit's, although they won't be on the garden for several months from now. Would it be safe to use Round-Up now and then it will be gone from my garden's 'system' by the time my rabbits are in the garden? I'm really reluctant to use chemicals but i cant face the wrath of bindweed forever!!!

7. busybee

busybee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Three of Capney's facts have scared me

-the one about the extensive route system of bind weed
    -the one about bindweed seeds being viable in the soil for 40 YEARS
    -the fact that bindweed stems live 50 YEARS

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!

I do not have a hope in hell of getting rid of the stuff - EVER!!!

What does everyone do?! I am still clearing my garden and i feel the battle is lost before its even begun :(

8. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Weaken it ...

... as the old saying goes: "Never let it see a Sunday" :)

9. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,995
    I have it in my garden for years and years and provided I keep pulling it up whenever I can it never really strangles anything. Its a nuisance but manageable.

10. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,466
    I do the same as John :thmb:. My garden is too big to worry about trying to eradicate rampant weeds although I have nearly got rid of ground elder.

I do a bindweed and horsetail patrol once a week. With the bindweed I gather together all the runners on a plant and gently pull directly upwards. This generally pulls out the runners with up to 6" of root (sometimes 12"). Don't try to grab more than one plant at a time. With horsetail I hold each stem as close to the ground as possible and gently pull directly upwards. This also removes more root than just grabbing at it.

A half hour patrol each time keeps the ground fairly clear. In the fast growing time (warm and wet) I may patrol twice a week.

Don't let the bindweed get to the stage where you have trouble unwinding it from other plants.

11. busybee

busybee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    well ive cleared as much of my garden as poss without pulling up bindweed and ive decided im going to have to resort to round-up, just to get it under control. Im never going to get rid of it 'cos its growing all around near the house. I'm just going to have to keep it under control

12. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    What's that method where you insert rods to encourage it to grow up them so as to make it a lot easier to treat with glyphosate?

13. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    It won't work Busybee. The bindweed will win. I've tried glysophate, roundup, agent orange, mustard gas - nothing. They just laugh at my puny attempts and come back stronger and more determined.

I manage to just about establish a stalemate at the front of my borders, but at the back they establish a foothold in next door's ground, and before I know it I've noticed one strangling my wild rose or establishing a thriving colony in my flowering currant.

Update on the experiment by the way: the slice of root in water is enjoying itself. Baby roots are sprouting all over the place, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it starts walking.

14. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    My method is to unwind about 10 inches of the more mature specimens, cram it into a plastic bag, drench with glysophate, then secure the bag by tying it to whatever fench or shrub the bindweed has been climbing through to let the chemical work for a week or so.

It doesn't work.

15. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    The chemical boffins will be on the case no doubt, I imagine there will be a demand. Touch wood I haven't a peep of the stuff-and luckily I am surrounded by gardeners so I can't see it making it's way in although it only takes one.