Global thermonuclear war

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by andrewh, Jun 8, 2009.

1. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Long live "Agent orange" but I call it SBK.:) I've cleared Bindweed and Goutweed from my garden and several other gardens by using it. The bindweed in my garden comes from next door,( a "tree-hugger" so I don't tell her what I'm doing.) It kills the plant right down to the roots so she's amazed that her Bindweed is vanishing. :wink:. On broad-leaved weeds, I find this the most effective poison. You can also use it to spot-weed on the lawn. Grass will tolerate it but don't be too heavy-handed. :wink:

2. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    ii find round up and it's kind work quite well. I bought some GLY-490 at a local rural hardware shop catering for farmers. It seems to be a very concentrated form of glyphosate. So far it's having real knockout results with the weeds. Ground elder is my biggest problem being surrounded by fields. A nightmare to keep under control. I also get lots of robin run the hedge. I don't know the proper name for it. It's that sticky choky stuff

3. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    In my campaign against Bindweed I found Round-Up very effective, though not straight away. There was a learning curve involved.

At first, I simply unraveled bits and soaked them in Round-Up as Andrew says. I found that in too high a dose in one go, all that happened was the bit that I'd sprayed died off before carrying all that lovely glyphosate down to the roots. I also found it was impossible to get the lot while my plants were there, as new shoots would simply take cover under my plants when they saw me coming with the Round-Up. That's why I dug out my favourite plants, placed them in containers in quarantine for a while, and sprayed the whole garden.

Round-Up seems to work best with regular light doses, rather than one major onslaught.

The other thing with Bindweed is that if your neighbours have it, you need to patrol your boundaries regularly, as it will sneak through. If you can spray your neighbours with the Round-Up too, that will help, as it will make them think twice about ignoring the problem (I'll get my coat). No really though, spray the neighbour's bindweed if they have it, as it will invade from their side if you let it.

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Very true Clueless - a friend had to similar as you a few years ago, completely empty her herbaceous border and gut for bindweed, because it was coming under the fence from her next door neighbour.

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,995
    Latin: Galium aparine
    I know it as "Cleavers" granny, but it has loads of other common names:
    Ariff, Goosegrass, Herrif, Sticky-willy, Robin-run-the-hedge, Beggar's lice, Bur, Scratch grass, Cliver

:hehe:

6. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I rather like the sticky willie. I'll use that:lollol:

7. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,466
    Hi Claire,
    I can send you some really lovely specimens if you want :hehe::rotfl::rotfl:

8. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Oooh could you Shiney?? lol

9. Hec

Hec Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I told a 'friend' it was known as that and it was quickly changed to 'sticky dick' and that is the name that has stuck!!!

10. busybee

busybee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    So how the heck do i get rid of the stuff? I haven't bought any weed killer yet but what do i buy to get rid of bindweed?

11. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596

It can be done. I did it. I've explained at length a couple of times in various threads, most recently here:

http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/look-im-faced-22249.html?t=22249

See post #6.

As bindweed is a big problem, maybe it should have its own sticky thread? I'd be happy to put in full details of how I tackled it.

12. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Give me bindweed any day, it mares tails and ground elder that are the worst.

BTW, my method with bindweed infested areas is to fork over to get the worst of the roots then several sprayings with roundup to kill any that sprouts.

13. busybee

busybee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Clueless that may be a good idea! Not sure how you go about doing a sticky tho?

Paul, i may do what you suggest, but ive yet to look at cluelesses link. Maybe i will pull up what i can (there's quite a bit in my newly aquired garden) then get any shoots with roundup. Thing is, cos the garden is quite overgrown, its difficult to see whats what. Maybe if i just carry on digging up like i have been, ill get rid of the worst of the bindweed then get the rest with the weed killer. Ive already cleared an area about 4 weeks ago and ive yet to see any weeds coming through on that patch! I was quite pleased about that as ive been very thorough with my digging up of weeds