Going to kew?

Discussion in 'Garden Visits' started by Aesculus, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    well the date's set for the 28th June so if anyone sees a large group of loud 16-20 year olds / rather tired and fed up college tutors it's probably us :D

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49,438
    Anyone been by car? If so what's the best place to park (the advice on the Kew website is that their car park is only 300 places and it gets filled very quickly)

3. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    To park get there early and then drive up and down Kew Road outside the Victoria gate for a parking space (although i think thats restricted during the week).

I always include a trip to the Palm Centre when in the area, and also Petersham Nurseries, as they are faily close.

4. JWK

Ratings:
    +49,438
    Thanks for the info TG.

5. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    Oh meant to say, the side roads are all residents parking, and the wardens keep on top of people without permits so make sure you park only where permitted, its not worth the risk :)

6. JWK

Ratings:
    +49,438
    We had a lovely time at Kew last Friday, weather was good and lots of new things to see since I last went about 2 years ago.

We went by car and managed to park just outside the main entrance (on Kew Green) for free! There were one or two other spaces, this was about 10:15am.

Make sure you spend time in all the three main conservatories but also you must see:
    The waterlily House:
    [​IMG]

The new Davies Alpine House:
    [​IMG]

The new treewalk:
    [​IMG]

It's high enough to touch the jumbos:
    [​IMG]

I also really liked the carniverous plants in the Princess of Wales Conservatory (no photos of those sorry!)

7. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    Im going again in a couple of week, really looking forward to the tree walk. Have they finished replanting in the PoW conservatory as there were a lot of blank space a couple of months back.

8. JWK

Ratings:
    +49,438
    No, there are still some cordened off areas they are replanting

I didn't see too much on the tree walk as I was more keen just to get around and back down, I don't like heights!

9. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    Its a shame its not finished, althoug with any luck it will at least be a differnt area being replanted :) Hopefully something new to look at. Im planning on going on my birthday so will call in at the Palm Centre first as i still havent spent the vouchers i got for Xmas :eek:

10. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,674
    I could spend your vouchers for you TG:D
    Inhouse Advisor tells me we have been to the PC too many times already :((twice!!)

11. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    Ive had a few things from them, although they dont seem to be as good as they were a couple of years back.

I will probably get a chamaerops humis 'volcano'. Although they did have a few phoenix theophrasti which looked quite nice the last time i was there.

12. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    Visited Kew yesterday, only one thing to say, those blinkin planes!!!!! deafening
    spoilt the visit for me I'm afraid, plus loads of school groups in the Palm House!!!
    The best part for me was getting away from the crowds and just walking and looking at the various trees.

13. Aesculus

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    [​IMG]

I cant agree with you more! I went on Friday 27th (not 28th...I was so rushed i forgot what day I was going:eek:)
    it was completely packed out with Japanese tourists (nice to have a quick chat even if you only understand very little:D) and hundreds of school kids and every time I looked up there was at least one plane...:rolleyes:.

I've finally managed to get my internet working again (there's something wrong with it and I'm having to do speed tests for my ISP so they can dispatch an engineer to the exchange:mad:) so i will get my photo's up on Flickr for anyone that's interested, I had a marvelous time I especially enjoyed the specimen tree's and the rare cacti and succulents in the Princess of Wales Conservatory shame about the down poor we had but there was plenty to see in the conservatory's and glass houses so it wasn't to bad.

I also managed to get a look at my first Titan arum which was lots of fun:thumb: on another note I couldn't believe some of the prices in Kew though (for instance I picked up a 2009 diary with a mediocre picture on the front and they wanted £26.99 for it!) but i managed to pick up two Penstemon varieties and a Cranes Bill Geranium for £7 so that wasn't too bad:)

I hope everyone else who went or has decided to go have a lovely time and take lot's of photos!;)

***EDIT***
    Finally managed to get all my photo's up, I haven't had time to re-name and add tags and comments to them yet!
    Take a Look :)

14. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Cracking pics there:thumb: ill have to go one day

15. Aesculus

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337